Psychology of giving up 70 points

It's just not a well coached team. Wisconsin came out prepared to win the game because of coaching. Nebraska went the whole season without any attempt to address the obvious problems holding them back.

For f#*k's sake guys. This team can't even catch punts. Get your head out of the sand.

I see you have a monopoly on insight to the Huskers. We can't catch punts. Since you have your head out of the sand, how do you fix that?

We gave up 133 points in two games this year. How do you fix that?

We gave up 500 or more yards of offense in three different games. How do you fix that?

I'm open to suggestions. We can all just flail about in anger over this, and we're all angry. But just calling for changes gets nothing done, nor does berating other fans for not acting like the sky is falling.

it's got to start with something changing. nothing changed in our punt return unit - we plugged a couple different guys in there but they'd all already fumbled punts before. nothing changed until we just started running away from them.

nothing really changed after the Ohio State game. we started playing games with worse offenses so the defense picked up, but we still got gashed by Bell for almost 200 yards in a win over MSU, or by Weisman a number of times against a previously worthless Iowa offense, or against PSU's RB who took us to the house a couple times if I remember right. nothing changed. 4 down linemen and a few slow LBers. Santos got in there - but where was he against Wisconsin?

you want to see change - look at Wisconsin's defensive scheme against us. that's crafting a gameplan for your opponent. Do you think Bo would EVER sell out an make such a wholesale change to his defensive line as Wisconsin did? We even had Stein out, playing a DE on the intererior and the scheme stayed the EXACT same - ALL GAME. Bo refuses to change. So you ask how we fix our issues? Well, we blame it on a lack of execution and maintain the status quo - if you're Bo that is.

My two cents....and thats all we each have, so feel free not to bust your nut over it.....

We dont need a mass exodus of coaches right now....I am on the fence about Bo & Co., but our new AD needs to put Bo on notice that we wont stand for 70 point defensive displays and -4 turnover margin games......Bo NEEDS to look to other coaches and take some constructive criticism on how to coach defense....i understand that he probably thinks he knows it all, but he clearly doesnt.....If your schemes are too complex, then make them less complex......if playing the Peso (which we dont i realize) isnt working, then switch it up.....I dont think Bo is a bad coach, i just think he is terrible at adjusting to what is happening around him.....We know we are going to get a heavy dosage of Marshall & Gurley (more-so) come January 1.....FIND OUT WHO STOPPED THEM AND HOW THEY DID IT.....its not that difficult.....if Stafford, Compton, Smith, etc. cant tackle THEN TAKE THEM OUT OF THE GAME......I think the product that gets thrown on the field January 1st might be the most important game of Bo's tenure.....You have to overcome adversity after getting smacked in the face.....If we cant, then we might as well start calling ourselves COlorado.....

Neither is acting like no change needs to happen.

Who's doing that? I've variously said we need to change at DC if Papuchis can't figure it out, and Els needs to go as Special Teams coordinator. I've never been a fan of Barney, but it's debatable how much hands-on he is with the O Line anymore, anyway. I've also talked about our overall reactionary defensive philosophy that needs to change. That's just a few I've mentioned off the top of my head, and I don't recall seeing anyone else say nothing needs to change.

it's got to start with something changing. nothing changed in our punt return unit - we plugged a couple different guys in there but they'd all already fumbled punts before. nothing changed until we just started running away from them.

nothing really changed after the Ohio State game. we started playing games with worse offenses so the defense picked up, but we still got gashed by Bell for almost 200 yards in a win over MSU, or by Weisman a number of times against a previously worthless Iowa offense, or against PSU's RB who took us to the house a couple times if I remember right. nothing changed. 4 down linemen and a few slow LBers. Santos got in there - but where was he against Wisconsin?

you want to see change - look at Wisconsin's defensive scheme against us. that's crafting a gameplan for your opponent. Do you think Bo would EVER sell out an make such a wholesale change to his defensive line as Wisconsin did? We even had Stein out, playing a DE on the intererior and the scheme stayed the EXACT same - ALL GAME. Bo refuses to change. So you ask how we fix our issues? Well, we blame it on a lack of execution and maintain the status quo - if you're Bo that is.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think the first thing that has to change, before anything else, is our overall team speed. Wisconsin looked far faster than Nebraska on Saturday. Either we were totally gassed or we're just not as fast as they are overall. Whichever, that has to change.

We have been piss-poor against the run since Suh left, so yes, I would agree with your assessment there. Maybe Vincent Valentine can change that around. Hard to say. We also need to get better at LB and we need to have speeeeeed at that position.

By all accounts we have underclassmen/redshirts that will fill several of these gaps. But we need them all to come in and perform at a high level right away next year.

Who's doing that? I've variously said we need to change at DC if Papuchis can't figure it out, and Els needs to go as Special Teams coordinator. I've never been a fan of Barney, but it's debatable how much hands-on he is with the O Line anymore, anyway. I've also talked about our overall reactionary defensive philosophy that needs to change. That's just a few I've mentioned off the top of my head, and I don't recall seeing anyone else say nothing needs to change.

Question--if there's concern with how much hands-on time Barney spends with the O-Line to begin with, why do we have him in that position? Unless I'm reading this wrong, this infers we're spending a coaching slot on someone that may or may not be fulfilling the job requirements...?

---

A question regarding the original topic and psychology...who do we have doing sports psychology for our kids and coaches? If what we're talking about is mental and these kids are "soft", shouldn't we be focusing on this area as well?

Neither is acting like no change needs to happen.

Who's doing that?  I've variously said we need to change at DC if Papuchis can't figure it out, and Els needs to go as Special Teams coordinator.  I've never been a fan of Barney, but it's debatable how much hands-on he is with the O Line anymore, anyway.  I've also talked about our overall reactionary defensive philosophy that needs to change.  That's just a few I've mentioned off the top of my head, and I don't recall seeing anyone else say nothing needs to change.

it's got to start with something changing.  nothing changed in our punt return unit - we plugged a couple different guys in there but they'd all already fumbled punts before.  nothing changed until we just started running away from them.

nothing really changed after the Ohio State game.  we started playing games with worse offenses so the defense picked up, but we still got gashed by Bell for almost 200 yards in a win over  MSU, or by Weisman a number of times against a previously worthless Iowa offense, or against PSU's RB who took us to the house a couple times if I remember right.  nothing changed.  4 down linemen and a few slow LBers.  Santos got in there - but where was he against Wisconsin?  

you want to see change - look at Wisconsin's defensive scheme against us.  that's crafting a gameplan for your opponent.  Do you think Bo would EVER sell out an make such a wholesale change to his defensive line as Wisconsin did?  We even had Stein out, playing a DE on the intererior and the scheme stayed the EXACT same - ALL GAME.  Bo refuses to change.  So you ask how we fix our issues?  Well, we blame it on a lack of execution and maintain the status quo - if you're Bo that is.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think the first thing that has to change, before anything else, is our overall team speed.  Wisconsin looked far faster than Nebraska on Saturday.  Either we were totally gassed or we're just not as fast as they are overall.  Whichever, that has to change.

We have been piss-poor against the run since Suh left, so yes, I would agree with your assessment there.  Maybe Vincent Valentine can change that around.  Hard to say.  We also need to get better at LB and we need to have speeeeeed at that position.

By all accounts we have underclassmen/redshirts that will fill several of these gaps.  But we need them all to come in and perform at a high level right away next year.

I was just countering your point of you saying we don't need to be just calling for change. In multiple threads I've given thoughts of what we could do and most of them involve Bo. But if he goes on his own, I say to hell with him for giving up on this team and this fanbase.

Giving up 70 is, of course embarrassing and inexcusable.

But I don't want to believe the players quit. I'd rather accept they just aren't good enough in the trenches and failed miserably on both lines Saturday night.

They also took inexplicable pursuit angles and were totally inept in 1-on-1 tackling situations.

And the coaches do have to accept accountability………

BUT when players voluntarily hold press conferences to announce "they" were prepared but "they" failed to execute and "they" believe in Bo and the coaches……..THAT carries more weight with me than any of our opinions outside the locker room.

• Fire 1

Wisconsin

539 yards rushing (#1 All Time)

10.8 Per Attempt (#1 All Time)

8 Rushing TD’s (Tied #1 All Time)

640 Total Yards (#3 All Time)

10.7 Per Attempt (#1 All Time)

70 Points (Tied #2 All Time)

Ohio State

63 Points (#5 All Time)

28 Points in the 2nd Quarter (All Time for the Qtr)

UCLA

653 Total Yards (#2 All Time)

These are historically bad results and don’t happen to a well coached, disciplined, talented team and they also could be viewed as the result of players giving up and not buying in. You also wouldn’t expect this to happen to a defense full of upperclassmen.

As far as changes that need to be made, every defensive position should be open for the bowl game (you could open all of the offensive line spots as well). I don’t care if you are a multi-year starter; everyone starts with a clean slate and the Blackshirts should be pulled immediately.

Hopefully Bo will get this figured out and right the ship. If not the road is going to get a lot rockier then it is right now.

As far as changes that need to be made, every defensive position should be open for the bowl game (you could open all of the offensive line spots as well). I don’t care if you are a multi-year starter; everyone starts with a clean slate and the Blackshirts should be pulled immediately.

I agree with everything, but as far as this... who do you put in place of the underperformers? The cupboard is bare, that's the biggest problem.

I agree with this theory on several levels.

1. NU has lost some definitive swagger or confidence or fight. You can't have pride and let that happen.

2. The COACHES CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN. They invented the four corners in basketball for just this reason.

3. You can blame the Defense certainly. But this is a team sport. The offense HAS to milk the clock and stave off the opponent as much as possible. Bo's offenses have been incapable of this.

4. Playing for the Team or playing for the coach -- whatever the reason -- NU's teams under Bo are SOFT. Mentally in particularly.

Again, I think this comes back to having faith in the coaches. When you believe the coaches will find a way to put you in position to succeed it is psychologically empowering. I think this team looks over at the sideline and doesn't feel that way.

This is something that i have noticed more and more. Not necessarliy the whole team but I think we are wayyy too soft in the trenches. The talyor martinez body slam comes to mind. I know people hate to refer back to the 90's as those days are long gone but if this would have happened to Frazier or Frost I believe the O-Line back in those days would have taken huge exception with that. Not that this years line didn't but there would have been a brawl on the field if that had happened to a QB when we had the Pipeline.

I agree with this theory on several levels. 1. NU has lost some definitive swagger or confidence or fight. You can't have pride and let that happen. 2. The COACHES CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN. They invented the four corners in basketball for just this reason. 3. You can blame the Defense certainly. But this is a team sport. The offense HAS to milk the clock and stave off the opponent as much as possible. Bo's offenses have been incapable of this. 4. Playing for the Team or playing for the coach -- whatever the reason -- NU's teams under Bo are SOFT. Mentally in particularly. Again, I think this comes back to having faith in the coaches. When you believe the coaches will find a way to put you in position to succeed it is psychologically empowering. I think this team looks over at the sideline and doesn't feel that way.
This is something that i have noticed more and more. Not necessarliy the whole team but I think we are wayyy too soft in the trenches. The talyor martinez body slam comes to mind. I know people hate to refer back to the 90's as those days are long gone but if this would have happened to Frazier or Frost I believe the O-Line back in those days would have taken huge exception with that. Not that this years line didn't but there would have been a brawl on the field if that had happened to a QB when we had the Pipeline.

WWRID

What Would Richie Incognito Do?

• Fire 1

The shelves are empty, no one to play to replace players that are not good enough to be starting, yet I hear we have all of these talented Freshman redshirts that will come in next year be world beaters. How exactly does this happen. If these kids are as good as stated, why in Gods name are they reshirted. Give them experience early in the year, and by the end of the season they should be able to step up and play, rotate in and do some good. This saving playing time for their senior years is killing this program.

This program needs winners now. This loss is going to have devastating results if the Georgia game goes the same. The lines need to be developed early, find out who can play and can not play. If these so called studs really needed a year to develop then they are not the studs we claim they are, and most likely will be less than what we have this year. I would assume there is a reson they did not play them this year. Or the sense of urgency to have this program return to greatness is not realized by the staff.

This all goes back to recruiting, and games like yesterday and likely Georgia kill recruiting.

I am still on the not fire Bo wagon, but I wonder how we expect great changes in staff when he selected the whole staff in the first place. Does this mean he is not capable of putting a good staff together, is he afraid to hire a guy who says no to his ideas, possibly have better ideas, and would actually do the job hired for, not be a signal man.

But if he has asked for permission to tak to other programs, he needs fired this instant and we suffer the consequences. He can not hold us hostage, he is far overpaid for his performance. He does not deserve the money he is making by any means, 10 sloppy wins or not.

• Fire 2

It's just not a well coached team. Wisconsin came out prepared to win the game because of coaching. Nebraska went the whole season without any attempt to address the obvious problems holding them back.

For f#*k's sake guys. This team can't even catch punts. Get your head out of the sand.

I see you have a monopoly on insight to the Huskers. We can't catch punts. Since you have your head out of the sand, how do you fix that?

We gave up 133 points in two games this year. How do you fix that?

We gave up 500 or more yards of offense in three different games. How do you fix that?

I'm open to suggestions. We can all just flail about in anger over this, and we're all angry. But just calling for changes gets nothing done, nor does berating other fans for not acting like the sky is falling.

Sorry you felt berated.