Psychology of giving up 70 points

After some more thought over the weekend I am still baffled at the 70 points we gave up. You dont give up 70 points at this level of college football because you have inferior players (we beat them earlier in the year). You dont give up 70 points due to missing one player on the defensive line. You dont give up 70 points due to being out of alignment.

However, you do give up 70 points if you just quit. You do give up 70 points if you dont trust your coach or the other players around you. We have seen the sideline tirades all season between Bo and the players. There are serious cracks in the foundation of this program and it cant be denied at this point. Three embarrasing losses this year and likely another one in the chamber. They all happened the same way, by quitting.

I have actually moved closer to fire Bo train now after time has passed. At first I thought maybe it is something that Bo could address in the off season by getting ideas from other coaches around the country on preperation. However, you cant fix what is already lost and that is trust.

• Fire 1

However, you do give up 70 points if you just quit. You do give up 70 points if you dont trust your coach or the other players around you. We have seen the sideline tirades all season between Bo and the players. There are serious cracks in the foundation of this program and it cant be denied at this point.

I absolutely disagree with this. Things are heated on sidelines every single game of the year, but this program is tight-knit by all indications.

I will say though that when a team really pounds you and they get up 49-10 with a lot of time left on the clock, and they do it just by running at you and not apparently even trying very hard to score, a team can get demoralized into submission.

I agree with this theory on several levels.

1. NU has lost some definitive swagger or confidence or fight. You can't have pride and let that happen.

2. The COACHES CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN. They invented the four corners in basketball for just this reason.

3. You can blame the Defense certainly. But this is a team sport. The offense HAS to milk the clock and stave off the opponent as much as possible. Bo's offenses have been incapable of this.

4. Playing for the Team or playing for the coach -- whatever the reason -- NU's teams under Bo are SOFT. Mentally in particularly.

Again, I think this comes back to having faith in the coaches. When you believe the coaches will find a way to put you in position to succeed it is psychologically empowering. I think this team looks over at the sideline and doesn't feel that way.

Simple things need to be fixed for this D to atleast be average. MAKE THE OPEN FIELD TACKLE. Jesus christ I have never in my short time of watching football seen crappier angles taken on a ball carrier. Don't put a 260 pound end at a DT spot and expect him to be a solid run stuffer. Really? Cam Meredith, not his fault, is not meant to play that position. Your best rusher is a converted LB, who got over half of his sacks in one game against a team that had no right being in Memorial Stadium. It starts and stops in the trenches, we have alot to fix there.

After some more thought over the weekend I am still baffled at the 70 points we gave up. You dont give up 70 points at this level of college football because you have inferior players (we beat them earlier in the year). You dont give up 70 points due to missing one player on the defensive line. You dont give up 70 points due to being out of alignment.

However, you do give up 70 points if you just quit. You do give up 70 points if you dont trust your coach or the other players around you. We have seen the sideline tirades all season between Bo and the players. There are serious cracks in the foundation of this program and it cant be denied at this point. Three embarrasing losses this year and likely another one in the chamber. They all happened the same way, by quitting.

I have actually moved closer to fire Bo train now after time has passed. At first I thought maybe it is something that Bo could address in the off season by getting ideas from other coaches around the country on preperation. However, you cant fix what is already lost and that is trust.

Outstanding post. I agree in full with each point.

So let me get this straight. After the Ohio State loss, everyone was saying there were cracks in the foundation, no trust in Bo or the coaching staff, and they had lost the team. Then we won six straight and everyone agreed that wasn't really the case after all. Now we lose big and all the sudden it's true again?

Either you guys were right the first time or you were right the second time. Either way, one of those times you were wrong, which makes me ask why your thoughts have any merit at all.

• Fire 3
So let me get this straight. After the Ohio State loss, everyone was saying there were cracks in the foundation, no trust in Bo or the coaching staff, and they had lost the team. Then we won six straight and everyone agreed that wasn't really the case after all. Now we lose big and all the sudden it's true again? Either you guys were right the first time or you were right the second time. Either way, one of those times you were wrong, which makes me ask why your thoughts have any merit at all.

I've been saying the same thing ever since the UCLA game. The 6 straight wins we got were luck with the exception of MN and IA. Yes they were great comebacks however they were lucky. The clock struck midnight for Bo on Saturday night. So, to your point that I was wrong the entire time, No because i havent changed my position.

On a side note, does anyone know of any coaches who have given up 60+ points twice in a season and gone on to win a championship of any sort with that team?

The defense didn't quit in our first embarrassing lost. In fact they came back and held UCLA to 3 points in the second half. The offense just went bizarre on us in the 2nd half there, actually the opposite of quitting - I think they were trying to hard to compensate for a defense they didn't trust...but one that actually far outperformed them that half.

I'd actually argue the exact opposite. Bo's team isn't quitting - they are trying to go beyond their abilities. Bo doesn't seem to be able to slow the game down and keep a game from getting out of control. I personally believe a large chunk of this lies at Bo/Beck's feet - and have thought that all season. This up-tempto offense is great at times - but it lends itself to a lot of 18 second 3 and out drives...and when you get into a game where you have a struggling defense that is a recipe for disaster. We saw it at Ohio State, we saw it this weekend. When we get behind - it we have 2 teams on that field. The offense, and the defense - and it's each one for themselves. They don't schematically play as a team. The offensive strategy in no way takes into consideration the play of the defense...and it should, or you see a scoreboard that looks like this weekends and have a QB saying things like "38 is enough to win"

After some more thought over the weekend I am still baffled at the 70 points we gave up. You dont give up 70 points at this level of college football because you have inferior players (we beat them earlier in the year). You dont give up 70 points due to missing one player on the defensive line. You dont give up 70 points due to being out of alignment. However, you do give up 70 points if you just quit. You do give up 70 points if you dont trust your coach or the other players around you. We have seen the sideline tirades all season between Bo and the players. There are serious cracks in the foundation of this program and it cant be denied at this point. Three embarrasing losses this year and likely another one in the chamber. They all happened the same way, by quitting. I have actually moved closer to fire Bo train now after time has passed. At first I thought maybe it is something that Bo could address in the off season by getting ideas from other coaches around the country on preperation. However, you cant fix what is already lost and that is trust.
The defense didn't quit in our first embarrassing lost. In fact they came back and held UCLA to 3 points in the second half. The offense just went bizarre on us in the 2nd half there, actually the opposite of quitting - I think they were trying to hard to compensate for a defense they didn't trust...but one that actually far outperformed them that half. I'd actually argue the exact opposite. Bo's team isn't quitting - they are trying to go beyond their abilities. Bo doesn't seem to be able to slow the game down and keep a game from getting out of control. I personally believe a large chunk of this lies at Bo/Beck's feet - and have thought that all season. This up-tempto offense is great at times - but it lends itself to a lot of 18 second 3 and out drives...and when you get into a game where you have a struggling defense that is a recipe for disaster. We saw it at Ohio State, we saw it this weekend. When we get behind - it we have 2 teams on that field. The offense, and the defense - and it's each one for themselves. They don't schematically play as a team. The offensive strategy in no way takes into consideration the play of the defense...and it should, or you see a scoreboard that looks like this weekends and have a QB saying things like "38 is enough to win"

Thank you for acknowleding the issue even though you were trying to argue another point.

It's just not a well coached team. Wisconsin came out prepared to win the game because of coaching. Nebraska went the whole season without any attempt to address the obvious problems holding them back.

For f#*k's sake guys. This team can't even catch punts. Get your head out of the sand.

I see you have a monopoly on insight to the Huskers. We can't catch punts. Since you have your head out of the sand, how do you fix that?

We gave up 133 points in two games this year. How do you fix that?

We gave up 500 or more yards of offense in three different games. How do you fix that?

I'm open to suggestions. We can all just flail about in anger over this, and we're all angry. But just calling for changes gets nothing done, nor does berating other fans for not acting like the sky is falling.