Being ranked

Ok, before I ask this, I fully understand that this season is lining up to be a sub par season especially when we get into conference play. Right now we are sitting with 4 teams in the top 25 in the AP poll in conference and our team hasn't shown that it has great talent. I get that.

But, let me dream a little. Let's dream that Miles is that dream hire that can motivate players to have that dream season that nobody expects.

My question is, what would Nebraska have to do when looking at our schedule over the next couple months to become ranked in the national polls?

If we pull off the upset against Creighton, is it possible before conference play? I don't think so.

Would it take beating Creighton OSU and Michigan?

Our first four games in conference are brutal.

Also, when was the last time we were ranked? Was it when Piatkowski was here?

My question is, what would they need to do to get ranked.

What you pointed out is the obvious. But, every once in a while the obvious doesn't come true and people are surprised. I know...I know...everyone is going to say it's not going to happen. But, my question is still there. What would Nebraska need to do to get the respect it needs to be ranked?

My question is, what would they need to do to get ranked.

What you pointed out is the obvious. But, every once in a while the obvious doesn't come true and people are surprised. I know...I know...everyone is going to say it's not going to happen. But, my question is still there. What would Nebraska need to do to get the respect it needs to be ranked?

Hard to say. It's not cut & dry. Basketball rankings is a whole other animal, compared to football. It helps if you're a traditional powerhouse.

My guess is we'd have to beat Creighton and at least 3 ranked B1G teams? :dunno

I believe we were just cracking the top 25 in one of if not both polls going into a home game against #1 Kansas in 1996. Tyron Lue, Strickland, Boone, Badgett, Moore, yes, that crew. The game was nip and tuck for the whole first half. Kansas started the 2nd half on a run and got the lead to double digits. 4 bad minutes led to like a 12 or 13 game losing streak or something of the sort. Then we won the NIT. I think we were also rated once in 1993 when Piatkowski was a junior. Strickland was a freshman. That was a good team as well.

Being ranked is fun and all, but they only rank 25 teams, while 68 make the tournament. I'd much rather be one of those 68 and have a chance to make a run than get a fancy number next to our name on ESPN that really doesn't mean much

Hey, I don't disagree one bit. A conference championship and getting into the tourney is the main focus of the program. BUT, I would assume if you are in the Big Ten and good enough to be considered a top 25 program, your chances of being in the tourney are pretty good.

Being ranked is fun and all, but they only rank 25 teams, while 68 make the tournament. I'd much rather be one of those 68 and have a chance to make a run than get a fancy number next to our name on ESPN that really doesn't mean much

Hey, I don't disagree one bit. A conference championship and getting into the tourney is the main focus of the program. BUT, I would assume if you are in the Big Ten and good enough to be considered a top 25 program, your chances of being in the tourney are pretty good.

True, but the selection committee looks at a team's resume a lot harder than the AP voters and the Coaches that vote. Just ask Seth Greenberg :lol:

Edit: I would say that being ranked might help with recruiting though. I'm sure kids like to see that their suitors are "top" programs.

If we pull off the upset against Creighton, is it possible before conference play? I don't think so.

We'll get points if we pull the upset. Doubt if we'd jump straight into the top 25 though.

Would it take beating Creighton OSU and Michigan?

Yes. We would be ranked. Definitely. lol But there's a snowballs chance in hell of *that* happening.

I'd say our best chance of sneaking into the top 25 for a week or two is if we somehow pull the upset of the Bluejays tonight, and then beat Oregon on the road next week. Oregon is a top 30 team right now. Our other four non-conf games are manageable. So we'd be a one-loss team heading into conf play. In reality I'd say we'll be very fortunate if we only have two losses at the time we face tOSU. More than likely we'll have three losses by then. Which is really pretty good considering we have a new coach and we graduated quite a few of our scorers from last season.