Bo has 2 years to get it done, or...

It's pretty obvious SE was brought in as an assassin.

Guess I was more confused and curious about your first paragraph calling Bo the man regardless of how he does?

I guess not "regardless" of how he does, but I think the chances of him ever winning less than 7 games in a season are almost slim to none. I'm not going to reel off my whole rant about why I think he's the right guy for the program, but why I say he is the man, is that so far, I love the way he's run the program and I haven't changed the way I've felt about him since he first came here in 2003. So few off the field issues, high team GPA, and the team never quits fighting (Most AD's would kill for our success with those first two). I love his bulldog persona because I too often remember Callahan having a look of apathy when we were getting crushed.

As for SE, he might not be an assassin, but I was unnerved to see that Perlman pretty much hired him on his own and did no consulting with Osborne. You'll recall Perlman also hired Steve Pedersen.

It's pretty obvious SE was brought in as an assassin.

Guess I was more confused and curious about your first paragraph calling Bo the man regardless of how he does?

I guess not "regardless" of how he does, but I think the chances of him ever winning less than 7 games in a season are almost slim to none. I'm not going to reel off my whole rant about why I think he's the right guy for the program, but why I say he is the man, is that so far, I love the way he's run the program and I haven't changed the way I've felt about him since he first came here in 2003. So few off the field issues, high team GPA, and the team never quits fighting (Most AD's would kill for our success with those first two). I love his bulldog persona because I too often remember Callahan having a look of apathy when we were getting crushed.

As for SE, he might not be an assassin, but I was unnerved to see that Perlman pretty much hired him on his own and did no consulting with Osborne. You'll recall Perlman also hired Steve Pedersen.

TO was involved in the Pedersen hiring too...that usually gets brushed under the rug though.

TO was involved in the Pedersen hiring too...that usually gets brushed under the rug though.

I have never read or heard that anywhere. Care to provide a source for that information? I want to say that he was in Washington DC in Congress at that time but I'm not 100% certain of that

You won't find a link anywhere. TO was asked his thoughts etc on this hiring. TO though working in congress etc was always tied/involved with the university. His opinion carried/carries a lot of weight.

It is my belief that Perlman did this hire without TO's advice to basically start a new chapter. TO also gave Harvey an FU when he held his retirement conference on a Jewish holiday. But that is a different topic for a different day.

I have never read or heard that anywhere. Care to provide a source for that information? I want to say that he was in Washington DC in Congress at that time but I'm not 100% certain of that

You won't find a link anywhere. TO was asked his thoughts etc on this hiring. TO though working in congress etc was always tied/involved with the university. His opinion carried/carries a lot of weight.

It is my belief that Perlman did this hire without TO's advice to basically start a new chapter. TO also gave Harvey an FU when he held his retirement conference on a Jewish holiday. But that is a different topic for a different day.

I'm trying to understand you Hedley. The problem is that you make statements and call them fact and then you can't back it up.

Why do you do that?

I'm trying to understand you Hedley. The problem is that you make statements and call them fact and then you can't back it up.

Why do you do that?

^ What he said. TO contributing to the hiring of Pedersen sounded sketchy at best, but the notion of him holding his retirement press conference on a Jewish holiday as a subliminal F U to Perlman is downright laughable. Given TO's nature I would bet the farm that is completely incorrect. Even if TO felt slighted he would never be one to retaliate.

Now you raise another question, how in the world do you know that Perlman is Jewish? I know Perlman is a common Jewish last name, so he probably has some ancestors who were, but I've never heard or read him discuss his religious affiliation, and it seems against his nature to publicly discuss that sort of thing. I'd venture a guess that he is not a practicing Jew, if one at all.

^ What he said. TO contributing to the hiring of Pedersen sounded sketchy at best, but the notion of him holding his retirement press conference on a Jewish holiday as a subliminal F U to Perlman is downright laughable.

(...)Now you raise another question, how in the world do you know that Perlman is Jewish? (...) I'd venture a guess that he is not a practicing Jew, if one at all.

LJS:

Osborne also recommended Steve Pederson for the AD position in 2002.

I suppose people closer to the University might just know it as common knowledge (I wouldn't have), but it is also verifiable: Google Books: 'Jewish Life in Omaha and Lincoln: A Photographic History' (Oliver B. Pollak)

The University of Nebraska has had three Jewish Chancellors. (...) Pictured here is Harvey Perlman, born in York, Nebraska.

Hedley also didn't pull the Jewish holiday thing out of thin air. I guess I can't personally vouch for its accuracy, but at least a few other people who probably know better than me brought it up as a swipe that Tom took. Which doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong, but a swipe nonetheless. Not a very impactful or "how dare he do that!" one, but a message sent. It was pretty widely speculated, I think, that Tom was displeased with the amount of actual control he had in the hiring process of the next AD.

^ What he said. TO contributing to the hiring of Pedersen sounded sketchy at best, but the notion of him holding his retirement press conference on a Jewish holiday as a subliminal F U to Perlman is downright laughable.

(...)Now you raise another question, how in the world do you know that Perlman is Jewish? (...) I'd venture a guess that he is not a practicing Jew, if one at all.

LJS:

I suppose people closer to the University might just know it as common knowledge (I wouldn't have), but it is also verifiable: Google Books: 'Jewish Life in Omaha and Lincoln: A Photographic History' (Oliver B. Pollak)

The University of Nebraska has had three Jewish Chancellors. (...) Pictured here is Harvey Perlman, born in York, Nebraska.

Hedley also didn't pull the Jewish holiday thing out of thin air. I guess I can't personally vouch for its accuracy, but at least a few other people who probably know better than me brought it up as a swipe that Tom took. Which doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong, but a swipe nonetheless. Not a very impactful or "how dare he do that!" one, but a message sent. It was pretty widely speculated, I think, that Tom was displeased with the amount of actual control he had in the hiring process of the next AD.

I also remember the Sipple article that was basically on Bo's behalf the day after. Seemed to be too much smoke for no fire. But who knows.

LJS:

Honestly I wouldn't want TO's input on the next AD either. Simply because his track record of picking coaches and giving his advice on hiring Steve Pederson are sketchy. SP only brought again the dark ages for the huskers again. FS with his recruits wasn't doing too well either. Bo the jury is still out. TO was a great coach but as far as giving out recommendations he isn't that good.

LJS:

Thank you for doing the digging. The only reason I find it to be a possible slight at Harvey is the simple notion that practicing Jews do not work on Yom Kippur and it is the holiest of times for a Jewish person.

TO announced retirement on Sept 26. Yom Kippur is Sept 25 to 26 in 2012.

Observances For Yom Kippur are Fasting, prayer, abstaining from physical pleasures, refraining from work

Couple that with the fact that Tom though a very good man does have a bit of an ego that he hides very well. In all honesty why wouldn't he. Great coach, decent AD, former congressman. He has been involved in practically every hire for decades. He gets passed over on this one and says to himself WTH. Fine Harvey I'm retiring. Lets be honest TO could have waited one day etc and it would not have mattered. Instead he calls a quick meeting which Harvey didn't have a clue about until shortly before.

I know most of you think I just reach and make stuff up but I don't.

Honestly I wouldn't want TO's input on the next AD either. Simply because his track record of picking coaches and giving his advice on hiring Steve Pederson are sketchy. SP only brought again the dark ages for the huskers again. FS with his recruits wasn't doing too well either. Bo the jury is still out. TO was a great coach but as far as giving out recommendations he isn't that good.

Yes, all the assistant coaches he took a chance on over the years turned out to be such drastic failures. i dont understand Osborne's prestige.

Yes, all the assistant coaches he took a chance on over the years turned out to be such drastic failures. i dont understand Osborne's prestige.

Osborne could make our current staff look 10 times better actually...he really was THAT good

I was just making a point that just becuase Solich supposedly didnt turn out (we'll never know the answer to this-it can be argued for eternity), Pedersen was a disaster-which Osborne didnt actually hire him, just basically said "meh, I think he'll do a good job", and now the assenine assumption is that Bo will be a failure, is not grounds to determine that Tom Osborne has a lack of judgement on the ability of people to do a job.

Husker99 was probably not making that point, but I do wanna make this one.

"Bye, bye, bye." He better hire someone who can coach the defense, and one for special teams. The offense, even with all the TO's, was clearly not the problem. The Huskers scored enough points to win 12 games this season. Out of 13 games, the offense scored less than 23 points, once!

The defense and special teams were horrible! In our loses, teams ran through the blackshirts like they were starting an all Snickers candy bar team on defense. Our kicking game: punting, FGs, kick coverage, and return game miscues were very unHusker-like.

We played most games by giving the opponent the edge on defense, and special teams. And you wonder why TM played like he did. He knew that he had to do it all for us to have any chance to win. If we had an average defense/special teams we would easily be 12-1.

I love ultimatums by people sitting behind keyboards :wacko: