Bo has 2 years to get it done, or...

When Bo got here he had to fix the defense. He did. Our defense was incredible for a couple year. But, he had to fix the offense. He has. Our offense has been very good this year. It should be a juggernaut next year. Now, he has to fix the defense again. Is there any evidence that he cant do this? What's gonna happen when both are "fixed" at the same time?

This. As much as everyone likes to scream about the blowout losses, progress is being made. Match average recruiting with a conference change, some staff turnover, and injuries on the both lines and you can see we are actually sitting pretty good.

The blowouts hurt. Bad. but the fact is, we have simply run out of horses on the DL and need help. The staff SHOULD be able to correct this through recruiting, but it may take a year or two at this point.

Shouldn't the horses already be there? I mean this is year 5...Bo should have Jrs, Sophs and Fr in the stable...or did he not realize he had to recruit all day er day?

We did switch conferences in the midst of Bo's recruiting efforts. We went from playing high-octane spread offenses to teams who nearly all have thumping runners and huge O Lines. We'll see what happens with the guys he's brought in these last two years. Hopefully next year we start seeing the differences in bodies diminish.

Agreed. To further the point, perhaps big bodied DL weren't as much a priority in Big 12 recruiting. DB's on the otherhand were priority number #1. We've had good secondary talent under Bo and continue to see it with Evans, Green, etc. We need to shift the DL and LB size and talent recruiting efforts. Unfortunately, the only quick fixes are JUCO's. I would bet you'll see a couple JUCO's starting next season.

Look at the guys we have recruited on the O & D-line since switching conferences. They are larger, by a significant amount. Going from 240-260LB guys to guys from 275-315LBs on Defense. Bo can not predict injuries, as that is the case as of right now. We recruited Anderson to be that speedy LB, but he took an unfortunate turn before conference play. We have the talent to compete. We may not have complete NFL talent, but if players weren't taking wrong routes during the Wisky game, it would have had a different outlook. We had a player there every play to stop the run, it just a lack of "execution" on our players end.

When Bo got here he had to fix the defense. He did. Our defense was incredible for a couple year. But, he had to fix the offense. He has. Our offense has been very good this year. It should be a juggernaut next year. Now, he has to fix the defense again. Is there any evidence that he cant do this? What's gonna happen when both are "fixed" at the same time?

This. As much as everyone likes to scream about the blowout losses, progress is being made. Match average recruiting with a conference change, some staff turnover, and injuries on the both lines and you can see we are actually sitting pretty good.

The blowouts hurt. Bad. but the fact is, we have simply run out of horses on the DL and need help. The staff SHOULD be able to correct this through recruiting, but it may take a year or two at this point.

Shouldn't the horses already be there? I mean this is year 5...Bo should have Jrs, Sophs and Fr in the stable...or did he not realize he had to recruit all day er day?

We did switch conferences in the midst of Bo's recruiting efforts. We went from playing high-octane spread offenses to teams who nearly all have thumping runners and huge O Lines. We'll see what happens with the guys he's brought in these last two years. Hopefully next year we start seeing the differences in bodies diminish.

Agreed. To further the point, perhaps big bodied DL weren't as much a priority in Big 12 recruiting. DB's on the otherhand were priority number #1. We've had good secondary talent under Bo and continue to see it with Evans, Green, etc. We need to shift the DL and LB size and talent recruiting efforts. Unfortunately, the only quick fixes are JUCO's. I would bet you'll see a couple JUCO's starting next season.

We have an undersized slow defense....this defense is not designed for the Big XII this defense flat out lacks talent and difference makers to compete at a high level. Football is football and Bo and Co recruited like poo for 3 years and our now trying to figure out WTH happened.

Couldn't disagree more.

The conference switch KILLED our recruiting. We have players that should be in the Big 12 mixed with players that should be in the B1G. We made some errors, but for the most part, we targeted the correct players.

Alonzo Whaley "suddenly" playing has more to do with the B1G than him finally getting his sh!t together (which he did).

Fact is, we didn't recruit LB or Dline nearly as heavily because in the Big 12 we were always in Peso (for 99% of teams we played). Since the switch, we've been offering DL and LBs left and right since, yes, we were undermanned due to the conference switch.

Also, I believe, the conference switch took place mid-year...thus we already had been working on recruiting. Which means, this is really Bo's second B1G recruiting class. (And if you look at the future of our LBs, I think you'll be pretty happy.)

Look at the guys we have recruited on the O & D-line since switching conferences. They are larger, by a significant amount. Going from 240-260LB guys to guys from 275-315LBs on Defense. Bo can not predict injuries, as that is the case as of right now. We recruited Anderson to be that speedy LB, but he took an unfortunate turn before conference play. We have the talent to compete. We may not have complete NFL talent, but if players weren't taking wrong routes during the Wisky game, it would have had a different outlook. We had a player there every play to stop the run, it just a lack of "execution" on our players end.

yes and no. Agree with your points on recruiting. But the Wisky game was over before it started. With Baker out, we cheated everything inside putting players out of position a lot. yeah they could have made plays, but many of them would still been 10 - 15 - 20 yards gains.

When Bo got here he had to fix the defense. He did. Our defense was incredible for a couple year. But, he had to fix the offense. He has. Our offense has been very good this year. It should be a juggernaut next year. Now, he has to fix the defense again. Is there any evidence that he cant do this? What's gonna happen when both are "fixed" at the same time? This. As much as everyone likes to scream about the blowout losses, progress is being made. Match average recruiting with a conference change, some staff turnover, and injuries on the both lines and you can see we are actually sitting pretty good. The blowouts hurt. Bad. but the fact is, we have simply run out of horses on the DL and need help. The staff SHOULD be able to correct this through recruiting, but it may take a year or two at this point.
We have an undersized slow defense....this defense is not designed for the Big XII this defense flat out lacks talent and difference makers to compete at a high level. Football is football and Bo and Co recruited like poo for 3 years and our now trying to figure out WTH happened.

I'm not saying Bo's recruiting hasn't had some misses, but when you look at the talent on offense it's hard to say he's recruited like poo for 3 years, at least for me :) Honestly, I think Bo's recruiting misses / adjustments can be found on OL, DL, and LB and thats it. Tying this back to the OP though, in 2 years, we should see a very complete team. Had we not switched conferences, I might feel differently.

Carl is no longer around to turn our defensive tackles in to All-Americans. The only position group I've seen progress on defense recently is the cornerbacks.

But Carl was around last year to turn our All-American defensive line into one of the worst defenses in the country. The decline has been mystifying.

To the bigger point, I think Husker fans will tolerate a few losses if the team stays competitive and at the end of the season we feel some progress.

If the Huskers beat Georgia, of course we'll change our tune. Why shouldn't we? But that's the rub. We need to see Nebraska playing well against ranked competition. And we've begun to consider Not Being Embarrassed a moral victory. And wow, was that Wisconsin game an embarrassment.

I don't think that's where Husker fans want to be and they're not alone. That's going to be the mood at every program with a legacy to uphold.

I agree that Bo has two more years. Had Nebraska lost to Northwestern after being thrashed by Ohio State -- and that was so close to happening -- I think both Bo and the University would have started entertaining exit strategies this year.

For me, it's cause for concern that the Seniors we have on defense now didn't progress much over the last 4 years. If we don't see a huge jump on defense next year, just because of the superior talent we supposedly have, then we have very little evidence that they'll progress much over the following 3 years. Basically what we have next year, is what our defense will be the next 4 years. Based on the evidence.

Carl is no longer around to turn our defensive tackles in to All-Americans. The only position group I've seen progress on defense recently is the cornerbacks.

This is true, and it's the most baffling thing to me. I believe Bo when he says he didn't forget how to defend the run, but presuming this is true, how can anyone explain an upperclassmen-laden roster that gives up a school record rushing yards to a 7-5 team? How can we possibly have two guys rush for 200 yards against us?

I have no answers for this. Wisconsin isn't better than Nebraska. And yet the scoreboard is embarrassingly lopsided, and I have very little hope that it'll be any different against Georgia.

I agree and disagree. I think for the last year and a half we have seen our secondary, as a whole, develop. However, we have been lacking a stand out safety, which clearly is an integral part of Bo's scheme. Stafford and Cassidy last year, leave a lot to be desired. The single biggest issue for me, is SIZE on the DLine. No matter how much you teach technique, you cant compensate for the size difference we faced several times this year.

See, I think Stafford, PJ Smith, Cassidy, ect. would be adequate Safeties in a lot of defenses. In Bo's defense I get the impression they're often asked to contain the outside run - this was painfully obvious in the CCG. In doing so, it makes them very susceptible to play action passes. I think we're just always going to see Safeties biting on play action no matter how talented they are. I agree with what you said about the defensive line. We need bigger, stronger DTs for Bo's defense to really work the way it's supposed to. Our rush defense will be horrible until we get that problem resolved.

At LB we've played: Compton, Whaley, Fisher, Kreikemeier, Pirman, Roach & Santos. That's seven of the 16 guys on the roster. Zaire Anderson would have played had he not ACL'd himself in Fall Camp.

At DB we've played: Evans, Green, Stafford, Smith, Osborne, Jean-Baptiste, Davie, Dean, Jackson, Mitchell, Seisay, Blatchford & Cooper. That's 13 of 22 guys on the roster.

Not to nit-pick knapp, but Anderson tore his ACL before the Arkansas State game. He played through that game not realizing what had happened on that Thursday before the weekend. I believe he applied, or is applying for a Medical Hardship for another year :)

For me, it's cause for concern that the Seniors we have on defense now didn't progress much over the last 4 years. If we don't see a huge jump on defense next year, just because of the superior talent we supposedly have, then we have very little evidence that they'll progress much over the following 3 years. Basically what we have next year, is what our defense will be the next 4 years. Based on the evidence.

This is true, and it's the most baffling thing to me. I believe Bo when he says he didn't forget how to defend the run, but presuming this is true, how can anyone explain an upperclassmen-laden roster that gives up a school record rushing yards to a 7-5 team? How can we possibly have two guys rush for 200 yards against us?

I have no answers for this. Wisconsin isn't better than Nebraska. And yet the scoreboard is embarrassingly lopsided, and I have very little hope that it'll be any different against Georgia.

I agree and disagree. I think for the last year and a half we have seen our secondary, as a whole, develop. However, we have been lacking a stand out safety, which clearly is an integral part of Bo's scheme. Stafford and Cassidy last year, leave a lot to be desired. The single biggest issue for me, is SIZE on the DLine. No matter how much you teach technique, you cant compensate for the size difference we faced several times this year.

See, I think Stafford, PJ Smith, Cassidy, ect. would be adequate Safeties in a lot of defenses. In Bo's defense I get the impression they're often asked to contain the outside run - this was painfully obvious in the CCG. In doing so, it makes them very susceptible to play action passes. I think we're just always going to see Safeties biting on play action no matter how talented they are. I agree with what you said about the defensive line. We need bigger, stronger DTs for Bo's defense to really work the way it's supposed to. Our rush defense will be horrible until we get that problem resolved.

This is very true. BP style of defense is very dependent on having great safeties. He asks his safeties to do many things physically and schematically. In the Wisky game you are correct they were contain on that Jet Sweep, along with about 5 other things to worry about. They were late getting to the sweep. This made it look like they were very slow. They were out of position because they were going through their checklist before they got there.

1 IMO I don't think BP thought they would be as successful on the Jet Sweep as they were. I think he thought they could contain it and minimize the dammage.