Spring Game

Stumpy1

What would people think if college teams played another team for their spring game? Say we play OU at our house and then the next, play there. As far as money, pay their expenses to come here and nothing more and then they would do the same for us. They could allow true freshman to play and not go against their eligibilty for the up coming season. I doubt the NCAA would allow it but it would be kinda nice.

I wouldn't be a fan of playing someone like Oklahoma, or anyone in the FBS for that matter, just because of the risk of injuring a player. Many programs do their Spring Games different, and if this was to happen, they would have to adjust, upsetting other fan bases. I would be interested if you were to schedule against an instate college, non FBS and always have it at home.

I wouldn't be a fan of playing someone like Oklahoma, or anyone in the FBS for that matter, just because of the risk of injuring a player. Many programs do their Spring Games different, and if this was to happen, they would have to adjust, upsetting other fan bases. I would be interested if you were to schedule against an instate college, non FBS and always have it at home.

So there is no risk of injury when we play an intrasquad game? Interesting.

Again, your trolling another one of my posts. Doesn't ever stop with you does it. Let me explain it then... Sure, your risking injury playing anyone on the field, EVEN IN A SPRING GAME, but the talent level from an FBS, to an FCS, or any other Divisional school is much higher. I didn't know it took further explaining to realize something that takes common sense. We have a few JUCO schools we could schedule. Like I stated in the beginning, I wouldn't be a fan of it.

What would people think if college teams played another team for their spring game? Say we play OU at our house and then the next, play there. As far as money, pay their expenses to come here and nothing more and then they would do the same for us. They could allow true freshman to play and not go against their eligibilty for the up coming season. I doubt the NCAA would allow it but it would be kinda nice.

Actually, this idea has been tossed around for a number of years. You are correct that the NCAA wasn't excited about it. But, there is a changing landscape in college football now. With conference realignment and a thinning of the NCAA manual on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised to have the idea gain some traction. Especially in light of the basketball experience.

For many of the walkons, the spring game is the only time in their careers they will be on the field in front of a large crowd. The chance to play nearly everyone on the roster would be a big loss in my opinion. I'm guessing a part of the crowd at spring games are small town people coming to see the local sports hero get his shot. At some point in the future I'm sure teams will think they need even more money for the coffers and this idea will fly.

Again, your trolling another one of my posts. Doesn't ever stop with you does it. Let me explain it then... Sure, your risking injury playing anyone on the field, EVEN IN A SPRING GAME, but the talent level from an FBS, to an FCS, or any other Divisional school is much higher. I didn't know it took further explaining to realize something that takes common sense. We have a few JUCO schools we could schedule. Like I stated in the beginning, I wouldn't be a fan of it.

But since NU already splits their BCS squad in half when they play in the spring, I don't think it would be anymore of a risk than it already is.

You guys have a lot of good ideas, I've never thought of the Spring Game being played with another FBS opponent.

I don't think you could prevent injuries either way, but I think it would be better if they split it up like this:

First Half: Starters play

Second Half: No starters allowed

Maybe not exactly like that, but split it up so that we can see most of our players on the field.

I was actually not trolling at all, I was just questioning the (flawed) logic of your not so great idea. So because we don't want our players to get hurt, we call up an crappy FBS or FCS or JUCO team and beat up their players in the spring? In all honesty, I actually see a greater potential for injury anyime you play an opposing team versus intrasquad players because some jerk(s) are always gonna try to gun for your players. In addition, I'm sure that while these teams are trying to install their playbook and figure out some positions that they would just love to drive up to Memorial and take a monumental beating...for free. And don't even suggest that we pay to have these teams come for a spring game. That might make negative sense.

On top of that, the point of the Spring Game or any spring game for that matter is for a lot of guys to get a lot of looks; 1st-stringers to scrubs. How do you do that when you're only playing 11 guys at a time as opposed to 22? Oh yeah, you don't. And if for some reason it is a close game or we get behind, like you're gonna see a single non-starter.

Please don't confuse your not thinking before you post and then getting called out for it with trolling.