SIGNED TE Cethan Carter

Nexus

Isn't it somewhat unprecedented to give a kid an in home visit without even extending to him an offer? I am talking about Saban here. So you come in and tell the family, "ok, we don't really like your son enough to accept his offer here and now, but if a whole bunch of other kids we want don't pan out, then you are the guy we want." I mean I understand that these things have to happen in recruiting and all, but the in-home visit to close on a kid you haven't even offered seems a little too much to me.

probably not. these are often the best times to gauge a kid's character. more goes into the offer than just his film/play. especially if he's borderline in Saban's eyes. i think we at Nebraska have a little different perspective in that we are having to hard sell Nebraska to these kids. Saban is the opposite...they are already sold so while we're selling, he's interviewing. must be nice.

I agree that saban does more selecting than selling, but it almost sounds like you're saying that we don't have the luxury he does of vetting kids for character. I think it's clear that our coaches have placed a high premium on identifying and bringing in high character kids, moreso than most, if not all, other programs.

Other than their statements on the topic (and consultants brought in to help them improve their ability to read kids), the proof is in the high quality kids we've had in the program, with an extremely low number of off field incidents and record high gpa's. It's an area that the coaches decided we could try to build an edge - players you can count on, and it's integral to the way our program is run.

Just because recruiting is harder for NU than other schools doesn't mean we're taking shortcuts on making sure we get the right kind of kids.

I agree that saban does more selecting than selling, but it almost sounds like you're saying that we don't have the luxury he does of vetting kids for character. I think it's clear that our coaches have placed a high premium on identifying and bringing in high character kids, moreso than most, if not all, other programs.

Other than their statements on the topic (and consultants brought in to help them improve their ability to read kids), the proof is in the high quality kids we've had in the program, with an extremely low number of off field incidents and record high gpa's. It's an area that the coaches decided we could try to build an edge - players you can count on, and it's integral to the way our program is run.

Just because recruiting is harder for NU than other schools doesn't mean we're taking shortcuts on making sure we get the right kind of kids.

yeah, i think you read into what i said WAY too far.