What Should Expectations Be?

Has Bill Callahan ruined expectations for this program? Callahan came in and had the worst seasons Nebraska had seen in 40 years at Nebraska, back when TO was running the show expectations were you don't lose more than 3 games. Callahan never did that, he lost way worse, sure Frank started it but got back to only 3 losses and he still won something of substance, the last Husker coach to do so.

So my question comes back to: since Callahan had such bad seasons at Nebraska (2 losing seasons) did he ruin what expectations for this program should be? Bo has yet to lose 3 or less games in a season, but since he's not losing at the rate Callahan did are we finding ways to justify it? He's winning 9-10 games a year when Nebraska plays 13-14, is that good enough? What are your expectations for this program in 2013 and going into next season, not with this team, but what should Nebraska fans expect out of their program?

I expect to win the conference every 3-4 years, reach a BCS bowl 3-4 times a decade and win multiplpe BCS bowl games (not titles, though that would be nice) a decade. And reach at least one national championship a decade, we've done it every decade since the 60's.

Depends on the season. Next year, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 10 or 11 win season. But with the turnover we will have going on with the defense, there will be growing pains, so that's why I won't necessarily expect a conference or national championship. If the team comes out week 1 and the defense looks studly, I will probably expect a conference championship.

So it's ok for Tom to lose 3 games a year why is it a big deal when Bo loses 4 when he plays more games. People make a big deal that it's only 9 wins because they have more games but it goes both ways. To me it comes down to more than on the field success. I like having a program that not only develops football players but productive members of society. They have high academic standards which is good because they are there to get an education too. It's about having guys like Rex that do so much off the football field and are well rounded individuals. I'm just so confused to why nobody sees success in this program anymore. I guess I think Bo is trying to be successful over the long haul instead of putting all his chips into a championship like Chizik then be stuck with nothing after it's over.

You've lost any sense of real accomplishment if you base success or failure simply on the number of wins or losses or the number of CCG or NC games you play in or win. I prefer to focus on how we play, how we win, and how we lose. If those are positives, the win-loss and big games will take care of themselves. Is 9 wins respectable? Yes. Are two blowout losses acceptable? No. No amount of wins erases embarrassing losses or typically playing well in only 2-3 quarters per game. I still believe we are headed in the right direction but the occurances of back sliding need to begin reducing rapidly. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how one looks at it, I began my Husker obsession as a young boy with the Devaney titles at the beginning of the 70's, attended UNL during the early eighties scoring explosion years, and was at the height of my fandom for the nineties juggernaut. Are my expectations unrealistic? Probably but I'm not letting them slip just because of the horrific mistakes of the early 2000's. I don't care if people like it or not. We are Nebraska and we deserve and expect more than other schools. I'm not down on Bo, I think he has us headed in the right direction. And I'm realistic enough to know it doesn't happen overnight. Given the strength of our schedule next year, I am expecting improvement in our play, total elimination of embarrassing losses, and 1-2 more wins. I expect a CCG appearance (the win expectation will depend on how good Ohio State ends up being) With a few good breaks, it could be an extremely good year- possible BCS or NC game. I never had that expectation for a Clownahan team.

I do not look for Nebraska to ever return to the Osborne 90's. Not realistic.

All I have ever wanted from this program is for it to be respectable, win the games we should, play the game like it should be played, be honest in the way we do things, with coaches, players and fans.

I am not that big on wins or losses, but want a program we can be proud of, win or lose.

I saw that in the bowl game. We played hard, over our heads I think. Losing has benefits, and gives lessons. We all lose and some win. We have done our fair share. I think Bo has the best interest of the program at heart. Still not my favorite person, but he is trying awfully hard to do things right. Still in over his head, and does not have the quality help he should have.

Still better than win at any cost.

If we win the ones we should and play as hard as we did in the bowl game, I can accept the losses. I understand the position Nebraska is in as far as a destination site by young kids. I loved the state, but moved away and have never returned. Never will due to the weather. How can I condem a kid for not wanting to stay there year around if I won't.

But we have to sell the program, the graduation rate, the help the players get to work towards graduation, the cleaness of the program to parents and the fact that Bo does run a tight ship. He seems to look after them like they are his.

Be the Best. Best citizens, best fans, best teams, best people. Does this mean that we always win...no. Does it mean that we don't get blown-out like we did (way to much) this season...no. It means that we hold ourselves to a higher standard, one that is difficult to achieve. I personally believe that we are trending towards the lofty goals that Bo, and the fans, have set for the program. Enjoy the ride people, the bumps and low points are part of the fun. :restore2

• Fire 1

I think what Nebraska fans expect from their beloved program can be summed up into one word: COMPETE!

I think most Nebraska fans understand that going undefeated every single year is a great goal to shoot for, but one that is not easily attainable. The biggest thing Nebraska fans expect from their program is to compete week in and week out. They expect their Huskers to be competitive in practices and most importantly in games. At the end of the day Husker fans can withstand a loss as long as the team was competitive...JUST DON'T EMBARRASS THE BRAND. :bigredn:

I think the following could be considered reasonable goals for the program:

• Win 9-10 games every year
  • Win 11+ games every four years
  • Be in the Top 25 every year
  • Be in the Top 15 at least 8 times every decade
  • Be in the Top 10 at least 5 times every decade
  • Be in the Top 5 at least 2 times every decade
  • Win a Divisional Championship every 2 years
  • Play for a Conference Championship every 2 years
  • Win the Big Ten Conference Championship every 4 years
  • Play in a bowl game every year
  • Win a bowl game at least 1 out of every 4 years
  • Play in a BCS (or soon to be playoff game) 1 out of every 4 years
  • Win a BCS (soon to be playoff game) 1 out of every 5 years
  • Compete for a National Championship at least 1 time every decade
  • Win a National Championship at least once per decade

Feel free to change these around or change the "numbers per times of year." I was just going off the top of my head with these, and I only had one cup of coffee today, so my mind could have had some serious "brain farts" when trying to type this. :ahhhhhhhh

The main point I wanted to get across is that Nebraska fans want their Huskers to be competitive and to not get embarrassed in every game we play.

Seems like a pretty reasonable list to me The Duke :thumbs

However, there was one lack of caffeine induced redundancy; if we win our division every two years, we will be playing in the CCG every two years also.

I would like to see maybe two bowl wins every four years. But, more important than that whole list is what you stated up front; be competitive and put a good product on the field. I can handle a loss just fine if we play well and the opposing team is just plain better. I struggle greatly with lack of effort, cluelessness, stupid penalties, inexplicable turnovers, incomplete games, and being totally outclassed in 1 or 2 phases of the game. So, like you said; we need to compete.

So it's ok for Tom to lose 3 games a year why is it a big deal when Bo loses 4 when he plays more games.

Technically, it wasn't okay for Tom Osborne to lose 3 games a year. He took a lot of heat for those three loss seasons and was almost chased off.

If I'm following the logic, Callahan actually helped our expectation level by making four loss seasons acceptable and realistic (assuming we are working our way towards 2, 1 and Zero loss seasons)

It was Bob Devaney who ruined the whole thing by taking Nebraska from Zero to Relevant in a single season, topped off with back to back National Championships. Tom Osborne had to chase that for 20 years, an era where Nebraska established its reputation for overwhelming expectations.

So it's ok for Tom to lose 3 games a year why is it a big deal when Bo loses 4 when he plays more games.

Technically, it wasn't okay for Tom Osborne to lose 3 games a year. He took a lot of heat for those three loss seasons and was almost chased off.

If I'm following the logic, Callahan actually helped our expectation level by making four loss seasons acceptable and realistic (assuming we are working our way towards 2, 1 and Zero loss seasons)

It was Bob Devaney who ruined the whole thing by taking Nebraska from Zero to Relevant in a single season, topped off with back to back National Championships. Tom Osborne had to chase that for 20 years, an era where Nebraska established its reputation for overwhelming expectations.

And then Tom further flushed down the drain by winning 3 titles in 4 years, obtaining the best 5 year run in the history of football as well as the best team in College Football history. Damn these championships. If we could give them all back, I would.

Winning the games we should, in convincing fashion, and the games where our opponents are our equal or better, staying in the ball game, and not getting blown out...

I want to make a couple amendments to what I said earlier.

I expect a team that is consistent and fundamentally sound. I expect a team that whoever our opponents are, see us on the schedule and say under their breath, "oh sh*t". I expect us to be respected and feared. I expect a defensive and offensive line that puts fear in the hearts of whoever we play...

And then Tom further flushed down the drain by winning 3 titles in 4 years, obtaining the best 5 year run in the history of football as well as the best team in College Football history. Damn these championships. If we could give them all back, I would.

Why couldn't Tom just lose more than 8 straight bowl games? lol