Osborne's Lack of Oversight

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years.

What evidence do you have to back up this opinion?

Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini.

What approach would you suggest?

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level.

What solid evidence do you have to back up these claims? What kind of changes and improvement would convince you that we ARE on the right track? How much time do you give a coach to make these kind of changes/improvments?

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction.

What kind of 'heat' would you suggest? "Either win the B10 Championship and be in the National Championship conversation or you're fired?" or "Win at least X number of games next year or you're fired?"

Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game.

What did you expect him to say?

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years. Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini. I respectfully disagree with the last statement.

While we haven't gotten over the hump, the results have been very consistent. Decent/Good but not great yet. They just need to keep on mission and make a few changes to get over the hump. No need to do anything drastic ala Stevie P.

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level. T.O has stated many times and as our new A.D has stated that he will be. He is hands off and there for consultation if it's wanted. Tom is a leader, not a manager. A leader is what works best IMO for AD's. When you get to the upper levels of an organization you want leaders not managers. Your assuming that "Everyone assumed" which IMO is not a good assumption.

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction. Not a good idea. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Noone likes micromanaging. Boosters need to boost program not cause distractions or stress. If you would like to be a booster and think that gives you a foothold to put pressure on Pelini. Send me 12 million and I will pass it along :) less my fee of course. Just kidding.

Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game. Pelini's PC was fine. He needs to keep motivating using positive direction. What do you suggest?

Why do you think we started running the option again? Now it doesnt work but thats b/c TM is horrible at running it. I think as we start seeing TA he will be running it as i could see him running it pretty well. I'd be very surprised if TA doesnt get a package or two every game next year. Also i will add, he needs to be playing in games next year in meaningful time if our staff is serious about constantly wanting to be ready in the future and getting players ready for it.

My point is that with a first time HC as green as Pelini was, I wanted Osborne to be more hands-on. Osborne was his boss, and a boss that once held the position and won 3 National Championships. My opinion is that if Osborne guided and led Pelini more, such as when it came to the Defensive Coordinator opening last year, we'd be further along in year 5 than we are now. Tom could have used his myriad of contacts throughout football to get some qualified candidates in front of Pelini.

My definition of further along is at least a Top 10 finish 5 years in. Obviously there are others that are happy with where we are today, but I want and expect more. In any type of business if you settle for above average that's all you'll continue to end up with.

Generally speaking, Pederson was well-liked by the other coaches. He was fired because of the way he screwed up the football program, and his "burn-the-bridges" mentality regarding our history.

He was a decent AD, just not a good fit at Nebraska. He fits in over at Pitt, and they're welcome to keep him.

Disagree here. There was a culture of fear in the athletic department - key members were leaving it was a hot steaming mess

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years. Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini.

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level.

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction. Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game.

Osborne is doing the right thing not getting involved in the coaching aspect of the job.

My point is that with a first time HC as green as Pelini was, I wanted Osborne to be more hands-on. Osborne was his boss, and a boss that once held the position and won 3 National Championships. My opinion is that if Osborne guided and led Pelini more, such as when it came to the Defensive Coordinator opening last year, we'd be further along in year 5 than we are now. Tom could have used his myriad of contacts throughout football to get some qualified candidates in front of Pelini.

My definition of further along is at least a Top 10 finish 5 years in. Obviously there are others that are happy with where we are today, but I want and expect more. In any type of business if you settle for above average that's all you'll continue to end up with.

I don't think anyone had any difficulty understanding your point. Most people just seem to think that your point is ridiculous, and they're right.

think about it.....if you are the head coach, and makig a couple of million a year....would you be running to tom for help...the head coach should allready know how to coach at this level , period..........as for osborn,,,,,he was a good coach, but his choices afterwards for coaches i never liked.....none of them turned out great

think about it.....if you are the head coach, and makig a couple of million a year....would you be running to tom for help...the head coach should allready know how to coach at this level , period..........as for osborn,,,,,he was a good coach, but his choices afterwards for coaches i never liked.....none of them turned out great

And what choices would that be. How do you know Pelini wont turn out great? You obviously must know something about Tim Miles and Darin Erstad that suggests they wont accomplish anything either. Maybe you should take that info to Eichorst so he can make the change in all 3 spots now before we get farther behind the 8ball.

Seriously, when people say things like this, what is going through their head?

• Fire 1

And what choices would that be. How do you know Pelini wont turn out great? You obviously must know something about Tim Miles and Darin Erstad that suggests they wont accomplish anything either. Maybe you should take that info to Eichorst so he can make the change in all 3 spots now before we get farther behind the 8ball.

Seriously, when people say things like this, what is going through their head?

I can' only assume that he's only talking about the football program, not the athletic deparment as a whole. Which means he's talking about his choice of coaches in which one already failed here, and the second is going down that same road and if he fails it will be for the same reason. Lack of taking recruiting serious, esp during the season.

Ovrall as a AD, Tom did a great job, esp getting us out of the Big Texass conference. The only thing that I didn't like was he didn't really look for BC's replacment and had his mind set on Bo. Only intervewing Jim Grobe other than Bo was a mistake IMO.

I also love the hiring of Miles, this year is a mulligan for him as he's stuck with Doc's players. But I think the program has a very bright future with him as HC. If Bo doesn't change his ways, this is going to be a basketball school soon..;)