Osborne's Lack of Oversight

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years. Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini.

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level.

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction. Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game.

The new AD has already stood up for Bo as there are more than a few boosters that were arleady grumbling and wanting a coaching change. As a matter of fact, he was able to get a few of them to give money again whereas they stopped under Tom because they didn't like the direction fo the program. But there is no doubt that if Bo finds a way to lose 4 games again with that patetically easy schedule next year, it's not likely that he will be around much longer.

I've been around him once and I'm impressed. Its easy being the new guy to rebuild bridges that burned a little because everyone wants to have influence. To me the most telling thing about the new AD is that Paul Meyers is impressed by the hire. PM is first class and wouldn't say much to the different in public but privately he's stated otherwise as well to more than one person. Thats tough when you felt slighted.

I think its going to take more than 4 losses. I think it would take closer to a .500 season or lots of off field problems or people bailing from coaching here because of personalities similar to what happened at Wiscy last year.

Are claiming Osborne was not a good AD? Because if you are, then man you are in a big minority.

What he's stating is that he thinks the football program sucks and Bo is a bad coach. No matter how often people want to state it. It just isn't true. Even if they point out the bad losses they aren't looking at the body of work as a whole and it speaks very highly compared to other programs across the nation.

Okay, that makes more sense. We are one of a hand full of programs that in the last 5 years have one 9 games each year, I know he hasn't brought a trophy back to Lincoln yet but the man is doing a great job. It would set us back longer if he left.

I think TO approached his job in much the same way Devaney did when he was AD. He had patience with Tom when it took 8 years to win his first BIG 8 title without sharing and 9 years to get to a national championship game. And 21 years to win a national championship. All this in what was essentially a weak Big 8 conference for most years. He understood that sometimes it takes a bit of luck to win the big ones and hard work will eventually pay off.

• Fire 1

If he had to be "hands on" then he hired the wrong guy in the first place. There are what...20 other sports at the university that he has to oversee as well. Not to mention donors, and working out the political sh!tstorm that got the funding for the arena. A stadium expansion. Revamping the Devany for volleyball. New practice facilities. Coaching searches in the other 2 major mens sports. etc, etc, etc. I don't get fans that think Tom's sole job is to oversee the football program.

+a million. The AD is not just responsible for football.

That isn't true, because if he wasn't, then Peterson woudln't have been fired because he was good at everything else.

Analogy:

"The sitter isn't responsible just for the baby; there are three other kids."

"That isn't true, if she wasn't, you wouldn't have fired katie when the baby drowned."

• Fire 2

A post entirely built on a straw man. Osborne's "hands off" approach is a myth, either created by you or perpetuated by you. Osborne was a fine AD. This is a silly set of presumptions.

Before I ask my question, I must first state that I don't follow any other of the sports programs. Are the other Nebraska sports programs better than they were when TO took the AD position?

I think TO approached his job in much the same way Devaney did when he was AD. He had patience with Tom when it took 8 years to win his first BIG 8 title without sharing and 9 years to get to a national championship game. And 21 years to win a national championship. All this in what was essentially a weak Big 8 conference for most years. He understood that sometimes it takes a bit of luck to win the big ones and hard work will eventually pay off.

I agree with this. If anyone could be sympathetic to the pressures put on a coach from outside forces, it would be Osborne. Where would the program be if Osborne had left in the late 70s due to pressure and expectations?

Are claiming Osborne was not a good AD? Because if you are, then man you are in a big minority.

What he's stating is that he thinks the football program sucks and Bo is a bad coach. No matter how often people want to state it. It just isn't true. Even if they point out the bad losses they aren't looking at the body of work as a whole and it speaks very highly compared to other programs across the nation.

Okay, that makes more sense. We are one of a hand full of programs that in the last 5 years have one 9 games each year, I know he hasn't brought a trophy back to Lincoln yet but the man is doing a great job. It would set us back longer if he left.

This.