Osborne's Lack of Oversight

think about it.....if you are the head coach, and makig a couple of million a year....would you be running to tom for help...the head coach should allready know how to coach at this level , period..........as for osborn,,,,,he was a good coach, but his choices afterwards for coaches i never liked.....none of them turned out great

And what choices would that be. How do you know Pelini wont turn out great? You obviously must know something about Tim Miles and Darin Erstad that suggests they wont accomplish anything either. Maybe you should take that info to Eichorst so he can make the change in all 3 spots now before we get farther behind the 8ball.

Seriously, when people say things like this, what is going through their head?

I can' only assume that he's only talking about the football program, not the athletic deparment as a whole. Which means he's talking about his choice of coaches in which one already failed here, and the second is going down that same road and if he fails it will be for the same reason. Lack of taking recruiting serious, esp during the season.

Ovrall as a AD, Tom did a great job, esp getting us out of the Big Texass conference. The only thing that I didn't like was he didn't really look for BC's replacment and had his mind set on Bo. Only intervewing Jim Grobe other than Bo was a mistake IMO.

I also love the hiring of Miles, this year is a mulligan for him as he's stuck with Doc's players. But I think the program has a very bright future with him as HC. If Bo doesn't change his ways, this is going to be a basketball school soon.. ;)

He said his choices for coaches AFTER being a coach. Pelini, Erstad, and Miles are the only 3 hires he has made. The statement is complete garbage and came upon with zero thought whatsoever. Even if that, did Osborne actually "hire" Solich? Sure he gave his recommendation and said "this is who I want it to be", but he was not THE boss. Even if TO didnt get Solich there, what were the chances at that point in our program's history that Byrne goes outside the program anyway, with us "rolling along as we were"

It just comes down to saying things like this shows a total lack of common sense and understanding of a basic situaiton.

TO did not have his mind set on Bo. Bo was our new coach before Callahan even got fired, probably before Pederson was fired. It's what pocket books wanted. Not saying TO didnt want Bo, but at that point Bo for HC was in demand by many more with the pull.

think about it.....if you are the head coach, and makig a couple of million a year....would you be running to tom for help...the head coach should allready know how to coach at this level , period..........as for osborn,,,,,he was a good coach, but his choices afterwards for coaches i never liked.....none of them turned out great

And what choices would that be. How do you know Pelini wont turn out great? You obviously must know something about Tim Miles and Darin Erstad that suggests they wont accomplish anything either. Maybe you should take that info to Eichorst so he can make the change in all 3 spots now before we get farther behind the 8ball.

I can' only assume that he's only talking about the football program, not the athletic deparment as a whole. Which means he's talking about his choice of coaches in which one already failed here, and the second is going down that same road and if he fails it will be for the same reason. Lack of taking recruiting serious, esp during the season.

Ovrall as a AD, Tom did a great job, esp getting us out of the Big Texass conference. The only thing that I didn't like was he didn't really look for BC's replacment and had his mind set on Bo. Only intervewing Jim Grobe other than Bo was a mistake IMO.

I also love the hiring of Miles, this year is a mulligan for him as he's stuck with Doc's players. But I think the program has a very bright future with him as HC. If Bo doesn't change his ways, this is going to be a basketball school soon.. ;)

He said his choices for coaches AFTER being a coach. Pelini, Erstad, and Miles are the only 3 hires he has made. The statement is complete garbage and came upon with zero thought whatsoever. Even if that, did Osborne actually "hire" Solich? Sure he gave his recommendation and said "this is who I want it to be", but he was not THE boss. Even if TO didnt get Solich there, what were the chances at that point in our program's history that Byrne goes outside the program anyway, with us "rolling along as we were"

It just comes down to saying things like this shows a total lack of common sense and understanding of a basic situaiton.

TO did not have his mind set on Bo. Bo was our new coach before Callahan even got fired, probably before Pederson was fired. It's what pocket books wanted. Not saying TO didnt want Bo, but at that point Bo for HC was in demand by many more with the pull.

To forced Solich on NU as he even said he would "unretire" if Frank wasn't the coach. Which in hindsight would have been the FAR better option. You may want to get off of your high horse because as sure as you think you are in your last two lines, you are completely wrong. Ok not completley wrong, Bo had a handshake agreement to be our coach after the Okie State loss that year and the "coaching search" was a farce and waste of school money. But it was done to give the impression that there was a legitamite search accomplished.

TO wanted someone who would hire his guys so things could still be done "his way" and no established coach was going to use guys that they are not confortable with. So it was pretty much a guy like Bo with no other options with what Tom was (and always had) wanted for the program. It would have been fine if someone on his staff would have had it in them to coach a program like NU, but he didn't.

To forced Solich on NU as he even said he would "unretire" if Frank wasn't the coach. Which in hindsight would have been the FAR better option. You may want to get off of your high horse because as sure as you think you are in your last two lines, you are completely wrong. Ok not completley wrong, Bo had a handshake agreement to be our coach after the Okie State loss that year and the "coaching search" was a farce and waste of school money. But it was done to give the impression that there was a legitamite search accomplished.

TO wanted someone who would hire his guys so things could still be done "his way" and no established coach was going to use guys that they are not confortable with. So it was pretty much a guy like Bo with no other options with what Tom was (and always had) wanted for the program. It would have been fine if someone on his staff would have had it in them to coach a program like NU, but he didn't.

Exactly. Hence, Bo was going to be our coach before TO even took over the AD spot. I have my source too. No, I'm not totally accurate, but in a generalization, it pretty much is. No, I'm not getting off my high horse. I like it up here.

What about the Osborne of the 70s? You're leaving out a decade in which Osborne directed an offensive overhaul which led to two national championships. In consecutive years.

Still...what has he done for us lately? National championships are overrated. So is overseeing the astronomically complicated migration out of the shadowlands of the Texas monarchy. Again though...that's a long time past. Guy does nothing. Take down the statue! (Dead balls serious.)

About all I can add is that successful organizations simply do not hire "green, newby" leadership... they hire experienced leadership that has already demonstrated excellence, having cut their teeth elsewhere and having made all the rookie and inexperienced mistakes elsewhere. Pelini should never have been hired... he was not experienced. He is cutting his teeth here and his rookie and inexperienced mistakes (chief among them his hiring of inexperienced coordinators and position coaches) have been significant. NU is nowhere near as far along as they should be in this 5 year stretch. Hire proven, experienced leadership (note; the hire of Callahan was a mistake too... he was experienced... but his track record was clear, he was terrible with players, was not overly successful in his past... he was experienced... but not experienced excellence).

About all I can add is that successful organizations simply do not hire "green, newby" leadership... they hire experienced leadership that has already demonstrated excellence, having cut their teeth elsewhere and having made all the rookie and inexperienced mistakes elsewhere. Pelini should never have been hired... he was not experienced. He is cutting his teeth here and his rookie and inexperienced mistakes (chief among them his hiring of inexperienced coordinators and position coaches) have been significant. NU is nowhere near as far along as they should be in this 5 year stretch. Hire proven, experienced leadership (note; the hire of Callahan was a mistake too... he was experienced... but his track record was clear, he was terrible with players, was not overly successful in his past... he was experienced... but not experienced excellence).

Would you say that the Nebraska Football program as an organization was "successful" at the time Pelini was hired? In this "what have you done for me lately" society? At that point, Nebraska was below mediocre. Im just saying that at that point, Nebraska was not generally looked at as even a microcosm of the proud program it once was.

Question, isn't everybody new at some point. What about coordinators who become coaches, aren't they new? The idea is that we'll soon have an experienced staff with good chemistry. We won't have these green guys anymore. What would be the point of hiring new guys now? They'll have to rebuild chemistry with players who aren't theirs and with coaches they don't know.

Bo will get us there, but we have to be patient, even more than 5 years. He's got us on the right track.

Yeah we should be hiring coaches who take teams to Super Bowls dog gonnit. :sarcasm

Question, isn't everybody new at some point. What about coordinators who become coaches, aren't they new? The idea is that we'll soon have an experienced staff with good chemistry. We won't have these green guys anymore. What would be the point of hiring new guys now? They'll have to rebuild chemistry with players who aren't theirs and with coaches they don't know.

Bo will get us there, but we have to be patient, even more than 5 years. He's got us on the right track.

You're assuming this staff will be together the next 10 years....which we all know isn't happening. Cotton is down to a couple years. Brown is down to his last years. Beck/JP will be HC's of a mid-major within the next few years...courtesy of the training they received at Nebraska.

What I am concerned about is he got us on the right track in year 2. We just haven't moved much farther down that track since.

Would you say that the Nebraska Football program as an organization was "successful" at the time Pelini was hired? In this "what have you done for me lately" society? At that point, Nebraska was below mediocre. Im just saying that at that point, Nebraska was not generally looked at as even a microcosm of the proud program it once was.

Accountability: Good questions. I would say that NU was a successful organization at the time of the pelini hire in that it had a proud history, great facilities, had good financial resources, and had legacy history of exceptional success... though NU was, at the time of the Pelini hiring, down from its normal degree of competitiveness. What I surmise you are asking is whether I think that NU was competitive enough/attractive enough an institution at the time to command from the marketplace a good, experienced coach (as opposed to settling for an inexperienced coach)... and my thought is yes it was (though as a position, the NU job then was not what it once was). So, yes... NU was then still attractive enough to have drawn a good experienced coach. They should not have hired an inexperienced coach with no record... that is, at least, how I see it.