Grading the 2012 Season

JTrain

Offensive Line: A-

2 1,000 yard rushers since when??? anything less than an A is a joke on the fans behalf. Could use a little better pass protection.

Wide Receivers: A+

Best in b1g and coming back

Tight Ends: A+

cant ask much more of the TE

Running Backs: A+

Def A+++++ no need to explain

Quarterback: B

Better decision making

Playcalling: A-

Stick with the run to set up the pass

Defensive Line: B-

Starts up front, if you cant accept that you dont know football sorry

Cornerbacks: A-

Always seemed to be in position, QB always had time to pass- see above

2013 Outlook: B, A lot is riding on just how good Charles Jackson will actually turn out to be.

Safeties: A+

Always in position, QB had too much time to pass, see D LINE

Linebackers: A-

hard to tackle when DLINE getting thrown in your face, seems like we just need to add 1 more guy to the box, which isn't their fault, great year by compton

Playcalling: ??????????????

Considering at the very least 90 percent of you don't know what play was even called on defense, I hope you dont even grade this

The scheme works when the DLINE can make plays. Just was not the case this year or last. Doesnt help when STEIN goes down.

DEFENSE OVERALL: B-

I'm really shocked Nebraska's not playing tonight.

• Fire 3

2 1,000 yard rushers since when??? anything less than an A is a joke on the fans behalf. Could use a little better pass protection.

Better decision making

2013 Outlook: B, A lot is riding on just how good Charles Jackson will actually turn out to be.

hard to tackle when DLINE getting thrown in your face, seems like we just need to add 1 more guy to the box, which isn't their fault, great year by compton

Considering at the very least 90 percent of you don't know what play was even called on defense, I hope you dont even grade this

The scheme works when the DLINE can make plays. Just was not the case this year or last. Doesnt help when STEIN goes down.

22472327.jpg

• Fire 3

Better decision making

How's about Mo Seisy? When we gonna see him make an impact? He shoulda just redshirted this year as much as he played. That may just be another mismanaged roster spot.

i love you husker cry babies. Just want to give you a shout out. YO! We are 2nd best in b1g. Lost to near pac 12 champ ucla by 6. Lose to near sec champ nat title contender by 14. Cry on husker cry babies. Cry on. Ur right though. We are light years away. Oh wait. Georgia lost to south car 35~7. Love to see how u grad their positions. Cry on babies. Cry

i love you husker cry babies. Just want to give you a shout out. YO! We are 2nd best in b1g. Lost to near pac 12 champ ucla by 6. Lose to near sec champ nat title contender by 14. Cry on husker cry babies. Cry on. Ur right though. We are light years away. Oh wait. Georgia lost to south car 35~7. Love to see how u grad their positions. Cry on babies. Cry

You okay man?

You okay man?

No he's not. He's bout dun.

• Fire 1

Look I agree with some of the grades. I'll say this. Defense - F. You don't allow 3 of the top ten ugliest games ever given up by a Husker defense in one season and get any other grade other than an F from me. Period.

The other thing I would like to completely, absolutely disagree with is the offensive line grade. If this isn't an A I don't know what the hell people can ask for? We had one of the top rushing teams in the country, that's even with our top running back out for almost the entire season. Now Abdullah is no slouch, and he deserves a ton of credit, but none of it happens without the guys up front. None of it. The other point a lot of you make against the offensive line is their pass blocking and once again I can't stress this enough (some of you just seem to completely overlook this point) that you have no idea how hard it must be for those guys to consistently block for Taylor Martinez as a passer. How do you pass block on a consistent basis for a guy who panics in the pocket and gets happy feet the way Taylor does. You never know which direction the kid is going. Many, many, MANY times Taylor actually ran into the trouble when he would have been FINE just standing in there and delivering the pass from the pocket. It has made the pass blocking look bad at times, but if you choose to really look at what creates that terrible look, you will see that 85% of the time it was Taylors unfortunate problem staying cool and calm in the pocket.

p.s. Taylor improved greatly and deserves credit for his improvement. This is no way a slam on him, it is just a simple fact that he still needs to work on his footwork and calmness in the pocket. He still panics when his primary receiver is covered. It is a problem he can fix, it just takes some time in practice.

I'm reminded of that ginger kid from A Christmas Story when i read this.

Look I agree with some of the grades. I'll say this. Defense - F. You don't allow 3 of the top ten ugliest games ever given up by a Husker defense in one season and get any other grade other than an F from me. Period.

The other thing I would like to completely, absolutely disagree with is the offensive line grade. If this isn't an A I don't know what the hell people can ask for? We had one of the top rushing teams in the country, that's even with our top running back out for almost the entire season. Now Abdullah is no slouch, and he deserves a ton of credit, but none of it happens without the guys up front. None of it. The other point a lot of you make against the offensive line is their pass blocking and once again I can't stress this enough (some of you just seem to completely overlook this point) that you have no idea how hard it must be for those guys to consistently block for Taylor Martinez as a passer. How do you pass block on a consistent basis for a guy who panics in the pocket and gets happy feet the way Taylor does. You never know which direction the kid is going. Many, many, MANY times Taylor actually ran into the trouble when he would have been FINE just standing in there and delivering the pass from the pocket. It has made the pass blocking look bad at times, but if you choose to really look at what creates that terrible look, you will see that 85% of the time it was Taylors unfortunate problem staying cool and calm in the pocket.

p.s. Taylor improved greatly and deserves credit for his improvement. This is no way a slam on him, it is just a simple fact that he still needs to work on his footwork and calmness in the pocket. He still panics when his primary receiver is covered. It is a problem he can fix, it just takes some time in practice.

I agree with you on the pass blocking issues. Also to add to it, how difficult is it to pass block in this system, when we're doing a lot of run and read action on pass plays. I'm sure there's probably techniques and such to try to disguise those types of reads. i dont understand the overwhelming hate for our Oline play this year. Not A worthy, but I give it a B+, based on consistency. Bottom line is, everyone gives up sacks once in a while.

Offensive Line: C-

Defensive Line: C

Something seems a little off here. Our defensive line was mostly abysmal, and our offensive line led the way for one of the best rushing attacks in the nation. At worst, the handful of breakdowns in pass pro puts them in B territory.

I'd hate to be an offensive lineman here. To have a very good season by most standards only to have a fan base unwilling to give you any credit. Last year it wasn't that we had a good line, it was that Rex is great at making something out of nothing. Then Rex goes down - it's not that we have a good line, it's that we have 3 other guys who are also great at making something out of nothing.

At some point we just have to admit our guys had one hell of a season. It won't hurt anything to admit it, because it's true. Demonstrably so.

Maybe it's because our defensive line made the most mediocre offensive lines look elite. By contrast, our offensive line does look ordinary. :lol:

Okay WTF? Your starting to make way way way too much sense around here. Quit with this. This is not a place for logic and thinking.

I think JTrain did a fairly reasonable job of grading the team.

However, my adjustments;

Offensive Line B- (coulda been B+ to A with some better pass blocking. Simply compare the amount of time we had to throw to how much our opponents had. Run blocking was good and improved throughout the season)

O Play Calling C+ (although good at times, seemed like Beck tended to panic and go strictly pass at times when we were having success moving the ball on the ground. I think this will improve with experience)

Defensive Line D (this grade might be a casualty of the type of D Bo had them playing but I hate seeing opposing QB's have all fricken day to pass and more often than not the line push was the wrong direction. I'm still having nightmares of Meredith pulling a plow 15 yards behind every play)

D Play Calling C- (for failing to adjust to what was killing us. See CCG game for reference)

Special Teams D- (sorry it ain't that difficult. Catch punts, don't shank punts, get a decent return once in awhile)

Offense Overall B

Defense Overall D (I realize CB's and safeties were better than that but the whole unit suffered from the subpar D Line, LB's, & play calling)

Turnovers D-. nuff said

Tenacity A-. These cardiac kids rarely quit.

Mental Preparation / Motivation / Game Planning- ??? seemed to be lacking to nonexistent in the painful blowout losses and probably was sufficient in the come from behind and easy wins. Seems like an area that could use some improvement. Games like tOSU and the CCG should never happen. Never. Although it is a little tough to judge when the DL and LB play is subpar.