What if there was a playoff in 2012?

knapplc

Are the games played at the lowest seeded team's stadium or at a neutral site? When are the first games played?

My winners from the initial eight games assuming neutral sites and games beginning the first weekend after the end of the regular season:

1. Notre Dame

2. A&M

3. Kansas State

4. Oregon

5. Clemson

6. Stanford

7. South Carolina

8. Alabama

I really think - even before we played Georgia well and ND forgot to show up last night - that we would have every chance to beat ND. I won't say we "would" have beaten anyone as we found many ways to make life hard on ourselves, but I'd say we would have played them tough. Probably would not have had as much luck in the second round.

The Alabama/Georgia rematch in the second round would be interesting. The winner of that game probably cruises into the final.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

The games in bold are questionable. The Nebraska/Notre Dame game would be very close, presuming the defense showed up. I have no doubt our offense would move the ball and score against the Domers. Likely they would lead at halftime, but another miracle comeback occurs in the second half, and Nebraska squeaks out the win.

LSU/A&M is a tossup. Johnny Football could dominate, or the LSU defense could stifle him and the Tiger offense could fall bass-ackwards into a score or two. It's either a 13-10 LSU win or a 31-10 A&M win.

KSU should be able to take care of Florida State. K-State is just a well-coached, disciplined team. All the athleticism on the FSU roster is great, but they're not as fundamentally sound.

I like Oregon's offense over the Beaver defense.

Clemson over Florida... just barely. Honestly, flip a coin.

The Stanford/Oklahoma game would depend on which team showed up for either side. Oklahoma is better than they showed against A&M, and while I like Stanford's defense, I think they played over their heads against Wiscy. Then again, Oklahoma went to the zoo a couple of times this year while Stanford played tough in every game. So I chose Stanford.

Georgia had an odd stretch in the middle of the season where they gave up a boatload of yards to Tennessee, got blown out by SC, and barely beat Kentucky. They righted the ship after that and were one play away from making the BCS against Alabama. The Gamecocks have a fine team, and they trounced the Bulldogs earlier in the year, but this isn't earlier in the year. Gave the edge to Georgia, just barely.

Alabama would score 100 points against Northern Illinois.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

The games in bold are questionable. The Nebraska/Notre Dame game would be very close, presuming the defense showed up. I have no doubt our offense would move the ball and score against the Domers. Likely they would lead at halftime, but another miracle comeback occurs in the second half, and Nebraska squeaks out the win.

LSU/A&M is a tossup. Johnny Football could dominate, or the LSU defense could stifle him and the Tiger offense could fall bass-ackwards into a score or two. It's either a 13-10 LSU win or a 31-10 A&M win.

KSU should be able to take care of Florida State. K-State is just a well-coached, disciplined team. All the athleticism on the FSU roster is great, but they're not as fundamentally sound.

The Stanford/Oklahoma game would depend on which team showed up for either side. Oklahoma is better than they showed against A&M, and while I like Stanford's defense, I think they played over their heads against Wiscy. Then again, Oklahoma went to the zoo a couple of times this year while Stanford played tough in every game. So I chose Stanford.

Georgia had an odd stretch in the middle of the season where they gave up a boatload of yards to Tennessee, got blown out by SC, and barely beat Kentucky. They righted the ship after that and were one play away from making the BCS against Alabama. The Gamecocks have a fine team, and they trounced the Bulldogs earlier in the year, but this isn't earlier in the year. Gave the edge to Georgia, just barely.

Im pretty surprised you did not bold the USCe/Georgia game considering SC beat them 35-7 in the first meeting.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

Im pretty surprised you did not bold the USCe/Georgia game considering SC beat them 35-7 in the first meeting.

They didn't "right the ship", they hit the soft spot in their second straight year with a pushover conference schedule. Just like last year they benefited from Silve's conniving and twisted plotting; No Bama, no A&M, no Arky (which in January of '12 still looked like a potential championship contender) and they would have had LSU but Silve slid them on to USC's slate.

Same in 2011 when they didn't have to face any of the West's big three and then got murdered in Atlanta, not to mention they lost to all four of the quality teams they played that year.

Back to this year, the way I see it the Dawgs faced three quality opponents in 2012: USC, UF and UA. They were destroyed by the first, squeaked by an emotionally and physically drained second and lost a close one to the third.

Spurrier knows how to beat Georgia, whether in Columbia or between the hedges and he's shown he can win without Lattimore, see 2011 CU and NU wins or 2012 CU and UM wins. Keep in mind, that until the last two minutes of this past year's UGA-USC game, with starters long ago pulled, Carolina was pitching a 35-0 shutout. On a neutral field I think tOBC gets it done for the fourth time in a row.

Forgive me for the length of that one, it's just that I really don't much care for Jawja.

I think the the winners of the first week would be

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Florida State

Oregon

Clemson

Oklahoma

Georgia

Alabama

---------------------------------

Next week

Texas A&M

Oregon

Clemson

Georgia

Finals IMO would be A&M and Georgia, game going either way honestly. Give Georgia a second chance, I think they would beat Alabama.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

I meant to. Mistake on my part, I guess.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

Not a problem. Im not saying USC would beat Georgia again, especially that bad, but I think that is a game that could go either way. Just wanted to get your thoughts on why you thought Georgia would win outright. Sorry if it came off as being dickish.

I've got:

Nebraska

LSU

Kansas State

Oregon

Clemson

Stanford

Georgia

Alabama

Not a problem. Im not saying USC would beat Georgia again, especially that bad, but I think that is a game that could go either way. Just wanted to get your thoughts on why you thought Georgia would win outright. Sorry if it came off as being dickish.

No, not at all. I just rushed through it and didn't analyze things like I probably should have. USC could easily beat Georgia again. They're pretty good.

Mostly I did this as a "what if" exercise, and it turns out there would be several really intriguing games. I think our game vs. the Irish would be much more competitive than our game vs. Georgia, and most every other matchup would be must-watch TV, unlike so many of the current bowl games.

I sometimes wonder if they don't want to have a 16-team playoff because it would so badly overshadow the other bowl games. It would make any bowl game not involved in the playoffs the college football version of the NIT. That's bad for the bowls, but much, much better for the game overall.

For the record, under the old system.

Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin

Fiesta: Oregon vs KSU

Sugar. Notre Dame @ Alabama.

Cotton. Texas A&M vs Florida

Orange. Louisville vs FSU

so three bowls are identical and two almost the same. Now what happens if teams were still in their old conferences? ND as an independent at #1 picks the highest rated opponent in Alabama. The remaining at large opponent are anyone's guess, decided in back room deals.

Rose. Same.

Sugah. Same

Orange. KSU big 8 vs FSU

Cotton. A&M swc vs Florida

Fiesta. Louisville indy vs Oregon

In short the only thing the BCS really changed this year was adding Northern Illinois and getting Oklahoma into the Cotton Bowl. And since both of those teams make a 16 team playoff, there is no real improvement over the old Jan 1st.