Randy York: Was Nebraska a catalyst in 'Bama dynasty?

Nexus

Learn something new everyday.

Because of Osborne’s encouragement in 1995, Saban invited Osborne to speak at a coaching clinic in Alabama a few years ago. The two coaches developed a decent friendship and still find time to talk on the phone. “I know this,” Osborne said. “Nick Saban is a great recruiter, and I’ve shared some of his thoughts on recruiting with all of our coaches across all of our sports.”

LINK

Some already know this, but for those who might not, the Associate HC and RB coach @ Bama is former Husker Fullback, Burton Burns (1971-1975).

Saban has an excellent chance too go down as the best college coach of all time....

I think at this point it's pretty much up to him if he wants that to be his legacy. He can move on to the NFL and make a bunch more money, or stay at Alabama (still make a boatload of money), win a whole bunch more games and go down as the best college coach of all time. It's his choice.

Saban has an excellent chance too go down as the best college coach of all time....

I think at this point it's pretty much up to him if he wants that to be his legacy. He can move on to the NFL and make a bunch more money, or stay at Alabama (still make a boatload of money), win a whole bunch more games and go down as the best college coach of all time. It's his choice.

Exactly....

I definitely didn't know this. Nick Saban is a good guy and a good coach. Many dispise him for his success and him being in the SEC, but give credit where credit is due. Now I don't care much for 'Bama fans, but Saban is one hell of a coach. Today's Tom Osborne IMO.

I wouldn't compare him to Osborne. You should look up how he treats professional football players. A bit interesting....and not something to praise whatsoever. It involved him coaching at the Dolphins.

I definitely didn't know this. Nick Saban is a good guy and a good coach. Many dispise him for his success and him being in the SEC, but give credit where credit is due. Now I don't care much for 'Bama fans, but Saban is one hell of a coach. Today's Tom Osborne IMO.

I wouldn't compare him to Osborne. You should look up how he treats professional football players. A bit interesting....and not something to praise whatsoever. It involved him coaching at the Dolphins.

I am not comparing his character to Osborne, I am comparing his coaching abilities to Osborne. He is a good guy (behind closed curtains he could be different) but he is respected, just as TO was. Like I said, he is today's version of TO. TO will always have more heart than any other college coach IMO.

In fairness to Saban and his brief NFL time, Osborne never had to face the egos of pro players.

Osborne has always seemed to value humility and quiet, sincere, hard work. The NFL superstars can be a pile of ego and distraction. I am not at all sure Osborne would have worked easily with multi-millionaire players at that level. I suspect that explains, in part, why Osborne never tried the NFL.

Had Osborne gone to the NFL and found that facet difficult, he might have responded very different than what we are used to seeing. We might have a very different view of that Osborne. I am glad it never happened, obviously.

I am not comparing his character to Osborne, I am comparing his coaching abilities to Osborne. He is a good guy (behind closed curtains he could be different) but he is respected, just as TO was. Like I said, he is today's version of TO. TO will always have more heart than any other college coach IMO.

I gotchya. I can agree with that man. ; P. Yes, he is an excellent coach in regards to success. And his team may win another one next year....yikes!

I'd like to see Saban at Michigan State again... I'm sure he'd average around 8 wins a season.

People want too believe that he isn't an excellent college coach, but that just isn't true.... He is as good as there is.........

Saban has been an excellent coach at places like LSU and Alabama. He'd be an excellent coach at places like Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, USC without a doubt in my mind... But put him at Nebraska.. I just don't know.