Greatest NU Defensive Lineman

TGHusker

1.Haloti Ngata?. :facepalm: Sorry

2.Suh

3.Wistrom

4.My fave. Christian Peter.

Didnt see Glover play but im saying top 5 for sure based on what i know of him.

My trip down memory lane leaves me thinking one thing though.Up til recently weve always had really good DEs and pass rushers.

Neil Smith, Broderick Thomas,Wistrom, Tommich, Vanden Bosch,Moore, Trev Alberts, Carriker, Kelsay Brothers,Zach Potter etc..

Is it the schemes were running now? Where did they go?

1.Haloti Ngata?. :facepalm: Sorry

2.Suh

3.Wistrom

4.My fave. Christian Peter.

Didnt see Glover play but im saying top 5 for sure based on what i know of him.

My trip down memory lane leaves me thinking one thing though.Up til recently weve always had really good DEs and pass rushers.

Neil Smith, Broderick Thomas,Wistrom, Tommich, Vanden Bosch,Moore, Trev Alberts, Carriker, Kelsay Brothers,Zach Potter etc..

Is it the schemes were running now? Where did they go?

You sure bring up a big question & great observation. I too always remember us having strong rush ends who KNEW how to contain. Think back the the Wisky CCG - no containment - how many times did they run the jet sweep wt our ends never in place to stop it. One of my years in HS football I played DE - the 1st thing the coaches always stressed was containment.

I may be wrong, but it appears that Bo may have place more emphasis on DT - due to his success at LSU wt Dorsey and then again at NU wt Suh. We thought Crick would be the next great D guy and then Stein. Both fell below expectations and the play of our ends was not strong enough to make up the shortcomings. This isn't a knock on Crick or Stein - both are/will be NFL guys but they could not overcome the other weaknesses in the line and at Middle line backer as a Suh or Dorsey could - both could dominate a game by themselves.

I'd like to see how our sack #s have trended since Solich. If I understand Bo's philosophy, the DL is there to contain the OL allowing the LB and corners to stop the run and to blitz & sack.

So, does the lack of great rush ends go down to scheme or because of an inability to recruit those kinds of players plus a dominate DT?? Recruiting or scheme?

I got the impression from the CCG that it's the safeties' job to contain the outside run. Which I think is kind of dumb, because it's generally understood that leaving a secondary player one-on-one with a running back is the opposite of a good idea. Especially when our safeties struggle at. . . ya' know. . . tackling.

I got the impression from the CCG that it's the safeties' job to contain the outside run. Which I think is kind of dumb, because it's generally understood that leaving a secondary player one-on-one with a running back is the opposite of a good idea. Especially when our safeties struggle at. . . ya' know. . . tackling.

Tackling and taking bad angles to get to the RB in the 1st place. Pretty risky - safety miss the tackle - there is no race - RB walks in for TD.

I think this was out of necessity for this team, as we didn't have the ability to free up linebackers to make plays. DL wasn't good enough to demand a double team so lineman came free on LB. Coaches made the adjustment, playing safety would have been extremely difficult this year.

I did not read through this whole thing so if this has been mentioned sorry.

Glover played in the game of the century against Oklahoma, their opposing center was first team All American and he beat him like a rag doll. Badddddddd little man. Lightning in a bottle.

I think the center was Brahaney but that makes think Texas. It was a fantastic match up on all levels. He was drafted by the Giants, but really never was big enough for the NFL I guess. He did not have much of a career there I do not think/remember.