Fans contacting recruits?

I was just wondering with the way social networks are, what are the legal ramifications of fans contacting recruits? It seems quite common place.

Would hate to see recruiting violations brought against any school for actions performed by an over zealous fan.

I was just wondering with the way social networks are, what are the legal ramifications of fans contacting recruits? It seems quite common place.

Would hate to see recruiting violations brought against any school for actions performed by an over zealous fan.

"technically" it's a secondary violation.

read this article - happened to UGA last year.

http://blogs.ajc.com...-with-bulldogs/

“There are five things that make someone become a booster, and one of them is if a fan is assisting in the recruiting of a prospect on Social Media, or over the telephone, or in person. If they solicit the enrollment of a prospect, then that’s a violation of NCAA rules.”
  • Fire 1

So we should all get OSU, UCLA, TEX, A&M profile pics and tweet/message recruits as much as possible?

I WOULD NEVER STOOP SO LOW AS TO DO THAT..........

........until I know that it works! :P

I kid I kid...... Seriously, do you think it would work?

haha. Where the NCAA doesn't seem to do anything about it right now I don't think so. If they did try to enforce it I don't see how it could be accurate....due to plans like stated! :D

With all the catfishing, how can the NCAA determine the true identity of a fan contacting a recruit? It seems like it would be impossible for them to enforce.

Recruits should ignore anybody that they haven't met in person and not believe that someone is actually a fan of a particular team that they appear to be. Now that I think about it, I wonder how many of our recruits were turned off by a creepy Husker fan that was actually say, an obsessed KSU fans? Hard to say, unfortunately recruits aren't universally given a manual on how to use social media during their recruitment. Just like trying to determine what to believe from various coaches, it's up to their judgement on what to believe when people contact them.

Fans of almost every school tweet recruits and write on their facebook wall. While it may be in the rulebook (which I think is BS in the first place) the NCAA does not enforce that rule. The only thing that boosters should get in trouble for doing is providing illegal benefits to recruits. Tweets are harmless.

Take a look at THIS TOPIC we have pinned in this forum - and bear in mind, it's from the NU Compliance Office.

The only people that take that sh#t seriously about fans giving a quick shoutout to recruits is people on this board. There is no way for the NCAA to enforce it even if they wanted to, and every other fan base tweets recruits, including Nebraska.

Like most things in life, it's only a big deal if you treat it like one and put too much emphasis on it.

Take a look at THIS TOPIC we have pinned in this forum - and bear in mind, it's from the NU Compliance Office.

I understand their message, but ...

That message is from 2007. At that time, Twitter was only one year old and only had 400,000 tweets PER QUARTER.

Now, there are 340 MILLION tweets DAILY.

Every recruit that has a Twitter has fan interaction. The NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

Now, if @BoonePickens starts tweeting at kids, there is a problem. Yes, he has on Twitter.