2013 PGA Tour Discussion Thread

tschu

Ask Lance Armstrong if winning takes care of everything. Ask Pete Rose. Ask Joe Paterno's family. If winning took care of everything, why is the winning prison softball team still in prison?

ESPN

Airtight logic from sports journalism's finest.

I don't buy Nike's explanation of the ad, though. If "everything" means only success on the golf course and his ascension back to no. 1, then the copy is pointless. Obviously winning tour events leads to success in golf. That is success in golf. Nike went long on Woods when his other sponsors dumped him and now it's time to start recouping that investment with some free publicity.

It was fun watching him flounder for a while. We've got our pound of flesh. Elin's got a billionaire boyfriend. I'm looking forward to seeing whether Tiger can get to 19.

• 1 month later...

In an NBC interview, Garcia blamed Woods for distracting him during the second shot on No. 2.

“I wouldn’t say that he didn’t see that I was ready,” Garcia said on NBC, “but you do have a feel when the other guy is going to hit. … I think that I try to respect everyone as much as possible out there. I try to be careful what I do to make sure it doesn’t bother the other players.”

Well, what Garcia said on national television certainly bothered Woods, who was made aware of the remarks during the nearly two-hour delay.

Upon the restart, Woods played his second shot into No. 7 as Garcia waited by the green. Then, the Spaniard didn’t wait for his fellow playing competitor, deciding to attempt his birdie putt while Woods was still walking up toward the green.

They didn’t interact for the next two hours, until play was finally suspended for the day because of darkness.

With both players struggling with their games for much of the day, it appears they saved their best shots for the post-round interviews.

First came Tiger.

Conducting an interview underneath the clubhouse veranda, Woods was asked about what happened on No. 2.

“Well, the marshal told me (Sergio) already hit so I pulled a club and was ready to play my shot,” he explained. “Then I heard his comments afterward, and it’s not real surprising that he’s complaining about something.”

Did he ever speak with Garcia directly about the incident?

“We didn’t do a lot of talking,” Woods replied, unsmiling.

He spoke for nearly four minutes, then was whisked away by a PGA Tour official.

Less than a minute later, Garcia appeared on the side of the patio. The TV camera lights flipped on.

“It’s very simple,” he started. “You have to pay attention to what’s going on because the other guy is hitting and you do something when you’re in the crowd, and the crowd is going to respond. It’s going to affect the other player. Unfortunately, he didn’t help me very much.

“Obviously, I did hit some bad shots after that, and I’m blaming myself for those. But that was a little bit unfortunate and sometimes you need to be a bit more careful.”

Garcia was then told of Woods’ comments, specifically his remark that it “wasn’t real surprising” the 33-year-old was “complaining about something.”

“That’s fine,” Garcia said. “At least I’m true to myself. I know what I’m doing, and he can do whatever he wants.”

http://www.golfchann...3-woods-garcia/

lollll Sergio