2013 PGA Tour Discussion Thread

tschu

Yep! I know who this dude is.

He was from my old golf district; I remember my junior/his senior year when the entire district was completely stacked. Like the entire top 6 or 7 golfers all played college golf at the very least; Crick was probably the favorite to win the district tournament it but finished 5th! He went to Gonzaga for a couple of years and then transferred back to UNL where he was by far and away our top golfer for a couple of years. Really cool to see him make the tournament.

USGA to lose $10M on US Open

Bloomberg’s Michael Buteau is reporting that the USGA is expecting a loss of $10 million this week on the U.S. Open at Merion Golf Course. The report cites a source with knowledge of the USGA’s finances, who was granted anonymity because of the private nature of the finances.

Ticket sales for Merion were limited to 25,000 a day, which according to Bloomberg is down about 45 percent from the typical 40,000 to 45,000 tickets that are usually sold for U.S. Opens. That not only decreases ticket revenue, but sales of concessions and memorabilia as well.

No Lift, Clean & Place for the good ole USGA:

More than 6 inches of rain has fallen on Merion Golf Club's East Course since Friday, and more poor weather is predicted for the start of the U.S. Open here on Thursday.

But no matter how poor the weather gets, or how difficult the course conditions become, the United States Golf Association will stick to its long-time policy of not allowing preferred lies.

The Rules of Golf allow for such exceptions, and it is a policy put in place often on the PGA Tour. If weather conditions dictate, players are allowed to "lift, clean and place'' their ball as long as it is in the fairway.

Not at the U.S. Open.

"If it was so bad, then the obvious response to that consequence would be we probably wouldn't be playing,'' said Tom O'Toole Jr., USGA vice president and championship committee chairman. "Don't look for the championship committee to adopt the preferred lies local rule that is under the pending Rules of Golf.''

ESPN Article

Impending lightning, strong winds and rain suspended play in Thursday's first round of the national championship at Merion Golf Club in suburban Philadelphia. Play was halted at 8:36 a.m. as a storm front moved into the area.

LINK

Impending lightning, strong winds and rain suspended play in Thursday's first round of the national championship at Merion Golf Club in suburban Philadelphia. Play was halted at 8:36 a.m. as a storm front moved into the area.

LINK

Almost a carbon-copy of the 2009 Open I attended at Bethpage. Played for about 3 hours before play was suspended on Thursday. Played daylight to dark the next three days but had to finish on Monday (which I didn't get to stay around for).