Expansion Talks again. A Crazy Idea

The only problem is the academic side. Are they an outlier? yeah, It would be kinda like adding Ohio University.

Let's be honest--that already happened by inviting Nebraska to the B1G. :-|

I know this may be true to a point but it irritates me to no end on how or why this occurred. Other people play this tune and make it sound like we are the poor benefactors who just fell off the turnip truck and the B1G just so happen to let us in. Really? Sorry for rant! :rant

I don't mean that at all--far from, actually.

I'm just trying to illustrate that AAU and academics aren't nearly as high on the laundry list as folks want to make them out to be. We're easily the second or third-most valuable property in the B1G, behind tOSU and we fluctuate with Michigan and/or Penn State.

The B1G knew what the situation with our AAU status was before we were admitted, and they still asked us to join. And academics, with the help of the CIC, can be improved with effort and time to be of 'B1G Quality'.

If anything, Nebraska has such a cache, that the B1G was willing to accept us as-is, and it's a two way street--DoNU needs the help of the CIC to improve its academic standing and competence, and the B1G wanted one of the most prolific athletic programs in NCAA history.

I believe in game theory, this is a Win/Win?

I want to go back to school to get a Master's in Economics with a Game Theory focus. Love that stuff

Food for thought about expansion. Fox owns 51% of BTN. Fuel and Speed are being rebranded to Fox Sports 1 and 2 respectively. FX will no longer carry sports. Fuel is currently in 37.6 million television homes while Speed is in 81 million homes. If the BIG should expand, Fox will have the ability to add additional channels to make up for some loss, if any, of ESPN lower tier channels. I don't know how many TV sets from Fuel and Speed already carry the BTN network but it doesn't matter. It gives Fox the ability to offer up more BIG sports. Afterall, the contract is up 2017 and you know Fox and Delany have had conversations on "Where we see ourselves in 10-20 years".

Thanks, I was wondering why Speed mysteriously jumped down next to espn on my cable.

Food for thought about expansion. Fox owns 51% of BTN. Fuel and Speed are being rebranded to Fox Sports 1 and 2 respectively. FX will no longer carry sports. Fuel is currently in 37.6 million television homes while Speed is in 81 million homes. If the BIG should expand, Fox will have the ability to add additional channels to make up for some loss, if any, of ESPN lower tier channels. I don't know how many TV sets from Fuel and Speed already carry the BTN network but it doesn't matter. It gives Fox the ability to offer up more BIG sports. Afterall, the contract is up 2017 and you know Fox and Delany have had conversations on "Where we see ourselves in 10-20 years".

Thanks, I was wondering why Speed mysteriously jumped down next to espn on my cable.

Yeah, this has been in the works for a while, and Fox Sports Soccer is also going to be converted, last I knew.

This sets Fox up nicely to take a serious swipe at ESPN's hegemonic influence in College Football, especially since they could outbid ESPN for B1G Tier 1 game rights.

All of the major Speed events (NASCAR, F1, TOCA) and Soccer (UFEA Cup? CONCAF Cup?) will still air on Fox Sports 1 (or 2), but instead of that coverage being followed with Monster Truck mayhem or Manchester United vs. The World, it's now collegiate football. As I understand it, some of the under-performing regional Fox Sports networks will also be phased out or locally converted into one of the other Fox Sports numbered channels as contractual obligations allow/fall off.

First off, I did not know who the "Dude of WVU" was until someone on this board brought him up in a thread. My info is not from some source, I gleem it from what everyone here says, what others are saying on other boards and use my business sense to make what I think is a expansion plan. Nothing more. Now that being said, I looked this "Dude" up and found out he writes a blog called Mancave. I don't know if he really has sources or if he is doing the samething I am doing, putting together what you hear and adding what you would do if you ran this business, The BIG Conference. Remember, I do this for fun and I will openly admit that I am just guessing. So if you want to read an interesting article written today by the Dude, here you go. It is very similar to what we have speculated on this board. As far as inside sources go, I always default to the "Aquarium Guy".

http://www.sportsman...-the-war-drums/

I don't want any Southern schools in the Big Ten.

Care to clairify?

I want conferences that make geographical sense. Not NFL-style "conferences." I want the Big Ten to remain dominated by Midwestern schools, even though we're taking on a few from the Northeast for TV dollars. I think adding Kansas and Notre Dame would be the best way to finish off the conference expansion.

First off, I did not know who the "Dude of WVU" was until someone on this board brought him up in a thread. My info is not from some source, I gleem it from what everyone here says, what others are saying on other boards and use my business sense to make what I think is a expansion plan. Nothing more. Now that being said, I looked this "Dude" up and found out he writes a blog called Mancave. I don't know if he really has sources or if he is doing the samething I am doing, putting together what you hear and adding what you would do if you ran this business, The BIG Conference. Remember, I do this for fun and I will openly admit that I am just guessing. So if you want to read an interesting article written today by the Dude, here you go. It is very similar to what we have speculated on this board. As far as inside sources go, I always default to the "Aquarium Guy".

Thanks. Good information in that article, though it's pretty much a rehash of what Alvarez said back in September or October, only it specifies the B1G, and isn't just a blanket statement for all conferences.

And we already know UVA is a lock for #15. I didn't realize the fiscal situation was that dire for Ga. Tech, though--explains why they're in a holding pattern (and UVA isn't) until the Maryland/ACC tiff is sorted out.

Thanks. Good information in that article, though it's pretty much a rehash of what Alvarez said back in September or October, only it specifies the B1G, and isn't just a blanket statement for all conferences.

And we already know UVA is a lock for #15. I didn't realize the fiscal situation was that dire for Ga. Tech, though--explains why they're in a holding pattern (and UVA isn't) until the Maryland/ACC tiff is sorted out.

What with FSU losing $478K on the ACC championship game, I find it difficult to believe that they will want remain in the ACC.

What with FSU losing $478K on the ACC championship game, I find it difficult to believe that they will want remain in the ACC.

We know that FSU wants out. But unless they can get at seat at the B1G table, their options are to stay with the devil they know, or shack up with the devil in Austin.

Frankly, there's not much financial incentive for FSU to look to the Big XII--at the end of the day, they will still be out-spent, out-recruited, out-built, and ultimately outmatched by the whole of the SEC, from top (Bama) to bottom (Mizzery). And whatever gains are made, fiscally, will be quickly spent by having to haul their program to sorry places like Stillwater and Manhattan.

And yes, the B1G has some sorry destinations as well. But having a bigger paycheck helps cushion the suck factor of these trips. :)