Expansion Talks again. A Crazy Idea

Division red (Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)

Division Green (Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota)

Division Blue (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State)

Division Orange (Penn State, West Virginia, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Illinois)

My Proposition is that the Big Ten and Big 12 Merge into one Division Call the Big 24 or simply THE BIG. The Conference would then negotiate to get 2 BCS Bowls. I have outlined how this would happen below.

Some Sample Schedules: Each team would start the conference off against a protected rival ( a school from a different division that they play every year).

10 Conference Games

Baylor: Non Conference, Non-conference, protected rival; Iowa State, Oklahoma ,1 orange, Oklahoma State, 1 green ,TCU, 1 blue, Texas, Texas Tech,

Illinois: Nonconference, non-conference, protected rival; Indiana, Penn State, 1 red, Maryland, 1 blue, West Virginia, 1 green, Rutgers, Northwestern,

Indiana: Non Conference, Non-conference, Protected Rival; Illinois, Indiana, 1 blue, Minnesota, 1 red, Ohio State, 1 orange, Michigan State, Purdue

Iowa: Non Conference, Non-conference, protected rival; Michigan, Kansas,1 Green, Wisconsin, 1 Orange, Kansas State, 1 red, Nebraska, Iowa State,

Iowa state: Non Conference, Non-conference, protected rival; Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, 1green, Kansas State , 1 orange, Nebraska, 1 red, Kansas, Iowa

Kansas: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival; TCU, Iowa, 1 Green, Nebraska, 1 Orange, Wisconsin, 1 red, Iowa State, Kansas State

Kansas State: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival; Texas, Nebraska, 1 green, Iowa State, 1 orange, Iowa , 1 red, Wisconsin, Kansas

Maryland: Non Conference, Non-conference, Protected rival; Minnesota, West Virginia, 1 red, Rutgers, 1 blue, Northwestern, 1 green, Illinois, Penn State

Michigan: Non Conference, Non-conference, protected rival; Iowa, Michigan State, 1 blue, Indiana, 1 red, Minnesota, 1 orange, Purdue, Ohio State

Michigan State: Non Conference, Non-conference, Protected Rival; Wisconsin, Michigan, 1 blue, Ohio State, 1 red, Purdue, 1 orange, Indiana, Minnesota

Minnesota: Non Conference, Non-conference, Protected Rival; Maryland, Indiana, 1 red,Purdue, 1 blue, Michigan, 1 orange, Ohio State, Michigan State

Nebraska: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival; Oklahoma, Kansas State, 1 green, Kansas, 1 orange, Iowa State, 1 Red, Iowa, Wisconsin

Northwestern: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival; Purdue, Rutgers, 1 red, West Virginia, 1 blue, Maryland,1 green ,Penn State, Illinois

Ohio State: Non-Conference, Non-Conference , Protected Rival; Penn State, Purdue, 1 blue, Michigan State, 1 Red, Indiana, 1orange, Minnesota, Michigan

Purdue: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival;,Ohio State, 1 blue, Minnesota, 1 red, Michigan State, 1orange Michigan, Indiana

Wisconsin: Non-Conference, Non-Conference, Protected Rival; Michigan State, Iowa State, 1 Green, Iowa, 1 Orange, Kansas, 1 Red, Kansas State, Nebraska

etc, etc etc with other B1G Schools

Right now there are 9 conference games. This is by design. At the end of the year is the B1G Tournament.

Each Team is team is paired up against an opposing team of equal strength in a different division red vs blue and green vs orange.

The standings are based upon 1. standings in division, 2. head to head win, 3.conference record, 4. Ranking

• Red
  • Seed 1
  • Seed 2
  • Seed 3
  • Seed 4
  • Seed 5
  • Seed 6

• Blue
  • Seed 1
  • Seed 2
  • Seed 3
  • Seed 4
  • Seed 5
  • Seed 6

• Green
  • Seed 1
  • Seed 2
  • Seed 3
  • Seed 4
  • Seed 5
  • Seed 6

• Orange
  • Seed 1
  • Seed 2
  • Seed 3
  • Seed 4
  • Seed 5
  • Seed 6

The Regular Season is now over and now it is time for the conference championship: East(the winner of red and blue seeds 1) vs west (the winner of green and orange seeds 1).

Other than in Tournament or Conference Championship, each team would play every team in its division every year. They would play every team in their protected rivals division every 5 years. They would play every team in the other 2 divisions every 6 years.

*Division names to be determined colors used for easier understanding of scheme.

I don't care for Texas much either. As far as revenue sharing, I believe the Big 12 is currently revenue sharing everything except the Longhorn network. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/big-12-revenue-sharing-agreement-grant-broadcast-rights/1#.UQgMDWfYewA. If they were willing to do away with the Longhorn network in return for the Big Ten network, I believe all parties would come ahead in the bargain.

The Big 10 would gain better recruiting footprint in Texas, some big name schools (Texas, Oklahoma), several respectable teams, Some natural Rivalries(Iowas vs Iowa State, Nebraska vs Oklahoma), and new markets. The Big 12 needs some new teams to keep the big 12 strong http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8891859/big-12-athletic-directors-discuss-pros-cons-staying-10-teams, Their games would be televised every week nationally via the big 10 network. Both teams would gain strength of schedule and it would keep us from adding teams like Virginia that have no merit to get themselves into the Big 10. Geographically it would also put teams in 4 regions with the other teams in the division being mostly border states.

We would only play Texas once every five years unless it happened at the end of the year. I for one wouldn't mind getting another shot at Texas. You always want to go out on top and we have not yet accomplished that.

Agree 24 is too many but this may be where we are headed in intercollegiate athletics. It is all about the money and really with notable exceptions there are many in football and basketball that the student aspect of the student athlete is minimal at best. Having said that it seems like the B1G is dead set on keeping the academic side of things on the up and up by only being interested in aau schools which may throw another wrench in this idea. It would be pretty cool to see from a sports standpoint I agree though.

I still say move the top 60 (or whatever number smaller than the 130 we have now)schools or so into a division and have them only play each other maybe 6 ten team divisions. No FCS nonconference games etc. I know the FCS schools like getting the money from playing the big boys but no one really wants to see that. I would love a new iteration of college football where you have a top 60 team playing a top 60 team every week. Now that is awesome. Not only more entertaining but we would have a better idea how to compare how good each team is when ranking and choosing who goes to the playoff if they have all played similar teams. Maybe this involves football splitting away from the NCAA and doing its own thing. I just know that I want to see schools on similar levels playing each other more often!