Expansion Talks again. A Crazy Idea

Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State, West Virginia

None of those teams are academically acceptable to the Big Ten

I think you may be on to something with the academics. The Big 10 insists on only adding teams that are AAU Members. Which means these are our choices:http://www.aau.edu/a...le.aspx?id=5476. Anyone see any one of interest among those? I wasn't a huge fan of Rutgers or Maryland. Really won't be a fan if we continue to go with that mind set, although it appears to be inevitable.

Not from what I have heard. Delany is very pleased with FSU's progress toward AAU membership and looks about 50\50 if you read all the rumors. They are pitching to the BIG today and time will tell. This does not come from WoodyHayes but does kind of confirm his "rumors".

Delany realizes that this is the ONLY shot we have at getting into Florida where the talent is rich, tvs are plentiful and where Big Ten alumni go to live their final years.

The only problem is the academic side. Are they an outlier? yeah, It would be kinda like adding Ohio University.

Potential is there however. It probably won't ever be UF but it can definitely get up to decent level.

• 2 weeks later...

Delany realizes that this is the ONLY shot we have at getting into Florida where the talent is rich, tvs are plentiful and where Big Ten alumni go to live their final years.

The only problem is the academic side. Are they an outlier? yeah, It would be kinda like adding Ohio University.

Potential is there however. It probably won't ever be UF but it can definitely get up to decent level.

Why not take a chance on them and have a clause saying that a portion of the money they receive will have to go towards the educational part of school, ex...new research facilities and so on. I know it won't happen, but at least it would get us into the FL markets and we would have a brand name joining the confrence.

Why not take a chance on them and have a clause saying that a portion of the money they receive will have to go towards the educational part of school, ex...new research facilities and so on. I know it won't happen, but at least it would get us into the FL markets and we would have a brand name joining the confrence.

They have to be listening because I haven't heard anything about FSU being eliminated.

Some Buckeye poster who is usually solid(but I don't claim him as a source) said that both Wisky and scUM are hesitant about adding FSU.

We will see. When the right people are saying the right things then it will get leaked.

Let's be honest--that already happened by inviting Nebraska to the B1G. :-|

I know this may be true to a point but it irritates me to no end on how or why this occurred. Other people play this tune and make it sound like we are the poor benefactors who just fell off the turnip truck and the B1G just so happen to let us in. Really? Sorry for rant! :rant

Let's be honest--that already happened by inviting Nebraska to the B1G. :-|

I know this may be true to a point but it irritates me to no end on how or why this occurred. Other people play this tune and make it sound like we are the poor benefactors who just fell off the turnip truck and the B1G just so happen to let us in. Really? Sorry for rant! :rant

I don't mean that at all--far from, actually.

I'm just trying to illustrate that AAU and academics aren't nearly as high on the laundry list as folks want to make them out to be. We're easily the second or third-most valuable property in the B1G, behind tOSU and we fluctuate with Michigan and/or Penn State.

The B1G knew what the situation with our AAU status was before we were admitted, and they still asked us to join. And academics, with the help of the CIC, can be improved with effort and time to be of 'B1G Quality'.

If anything, Nebraska has such a cache, that the B1G was willing to accept us as-is, and it's a two way street--DoNU needs the help of the CIC to improve its academic standing and competence, and the B1G wanted one of the most prolific athletic programs in NCAA history.

I believe in game theory, this is a Win/Win?

Food for thought about expansion. Fox owns 51% of BTN. Fuel and Speed are being rebranded to Fox Sports 1 and 2 respectively. FX will no longer carry sports. Fuel is currently in 37.6 million television homes while Speed is in 81 million homes. If the BIG should expand, Fox will have the ability to add additional channels to make up for some loss, if any, of ESPN lower tier channels. I don't know how many TV sets from Fuel and Speed already carry the BTN network but it doesn't matter. It gives Fox the ability to offer up more BIG sports. Afterall, the contract is up 2017 and you know Fox and Delany have had conversations on "Where we see ourselves in 10-20 years".