Expansion Talks again. A Crazy Idea

Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State, West Virginia

None of those teams are academically acceptable to the Big Ten

I think you may be on to something with the academics. The Big 10 insists on only adding teams that are AAU Members. Which means these are our choices:http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476. Anyone see any one of interest among those? I wasn't a huge fan of Rutgers or Maryland. Really won't be a fan if we continue to go with that mind set, although it appears to be inevitable.

Here's the plan that I submitted to the B1G Network a few weeks back when they were asking fans for expansion ideas. It's not quite as grand as the plan mentioned above, but is is more academically- and East Coast-focused, so it has a (slightly) better chance of actually coming to fruition...

Expand to 20 teams (yes 20), and split into four five-team divisions as follows:

WEST - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska

WEST CENTRAL - Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

EAST CENTRAL – Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Virginia

EAST – Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State, Rutgers

*Please note: All new members are part of the AAU, which will appease the Big Ten brass. And many of the important rivalries (Ohio State-Michigan, Indiana-Purdue, Kansas-Missouri, Duke-North Carolina) are kept intact by this arrangement.

Each year on a rotating basis, the divisions pair up to form two “super divisions.” For example, in 2014 the West and West Central divisions would pair up, as would the East and East Central divisions. Then in 2015, it would be West and East Central in one super division and East and West Central in the other. The ten teams in each super division play the other teams in their respective super division round-robin style (ala the new Big XII), for a total of nine conference games – also appeasing the Big Ten brass. The winners of each super division then play in the Big Ten Championship game. Viola!

I know, this arrangement sounds a little far-fetched, but just think about it for a minute. First off, it greatly expands the footprint of the Big Ten and adds massive amounts of fuel to the revenue-making machine that this conference has become. Secondly, rather than being stuck with two stagnant divisions where one side can become far more dominant than the other (think old Big XII North), this arrangement keeps the balance of power in check. Thirdly, even though some of the new teams don’t bring much to the table football-wise (but really, neither did Rutgers or Maryland), it’s balanced out by the fact that the new Big Ten would easily become the most dominant basketball conference in the country. And lastly, I realize that several of the teams in my hypothetical conference have recently moved to, or are committed to moving to, other conferences. But I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t at least pick up the phone and listen if Jim Delaney were to call.

• Fire 1

schriznoeder, I like your creativity with how the divisions play. Although your plan should provide a sure way to the Big 10 Championship, I would like to see the big 10 add some meat to the conference. If a team wants to consider itself great it has to beat other great teams. Utah and West Virginia are two teams in the past who had easy schedules and had nice winning percentages, until they joined a conference and played some real games. The Big 10's reputation is already in question and adding more Patsy's isn't going to help the matter. Whether anyone likes it or not Football is still the moneymaker in college sports. The most realistic idea is the big 10 adding 2 cream puffs simply because they are AAU Members and staying at 16 (four four team pods) unless notre dame ever decides to join in which case the big 10 would expand most likely to 20. I find it disappointing, however, seeing the Big Ten add teams like maryland, rutgers, virginia, and georgia tech, while other leagues are looking at teams like Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech. The Big 10 is already having trouble competing against the SEC (for several reasons) and I don't see these new teams helping the matter. `

• Fire 1