ATH Kalen Ballage [Arizona State Commit]

NU has a SOLID track record of having good athletes come in who PREFER to play offense who may appear to be better suited to play Defense- and giving them a straight up legit chance to make it on the offensive side of the ball. None of the "say whatever you can to get them in the door and pull the switcheroo thing"

Remember- a whole bunch of teams wanted TM on defense- not offense. Pelini may have his faults- but when it comes to making promises to players, you can bank on it, he's straight up.

That may help us here.

TM was a scout team WR and didn't even run the scout team at QB much his freshman year. Dont know where that comes from.

Martinez came in to play QB- that was the deal, that is what he practiced at even early on

He was put at Wideout in scout to simulate Shipley from Texas. NU's best choice to simulate that type of speed

Temporary deal

NU has a SOLID track record of having good athletes come in who PREFER to play offense who may appear to be better suited to play Defense- and giving them a straight up legit chance to make it on the offensive side of the ball. None of the "say whatever you can to get them in the door and pull the switcheroo thing"

Remember- a whole bunch of teams wanted TM on defense- not offense. Pelini may have his faults- but when it comes to making promises to players, you can bank on it, he's straight up.

That may help us here.

TM was a scout team WR and didn't even run the scout team at QB much his freshman year. Dont know where that comes from.

Martinez came in to play QB- that was the deal, that is what he practiced at even early on

He was put at Wideout in scout to simulate Shipley from Texas. NU's best choice to simulate that type of speed

Temporary deal

RK3 played scout QB not TM.

Didn't know Shipley played for Arizona??? TM was at wideout as late as bowl prep. Could all of that year been a temporary deal? Sure. But it doesn't negate the fact that he didn't much scout QB his freshman year.

Yep he did play some wideout

BUT he was given a legit chance to play QB even though his dad and him knew he would make a great Safety, which was my original point.

No one really wanted TM at QB- all wanted him to play another position. NU stayed true to its word and gave him a legit chance to make it as a QB, which is WHAT the kid wanted to play

Very similar to the Ballage kids situation.

"Bo Pelini had given his word: Taylor would be given the chance to compete for the quarterback job. "And if you end up at safety," Casey counseled his son, "you're gonna end up being coached by some of the best defensive minds in college football." Plus, Casey liked the strictness of the Pelinis, the accountability they demanded. "It felt like an extension of our family," says Casey, who told Taylor, "I think it's a perfect fit, kiddo."

Read More: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz2c4fq43xO"

Bo can be trusted to keep his word

I'd love to see Ballage on the defensive side as well. Reminds me of James Wilder down at FSU. Dead set on playing RB coming out of Plant high school, although every team in the country was drooling over his potential as a DE or LB. FSU let him stay on offense and after a ho hum freshman season he was pretty decent last fall.

I'd love to see Ballage on the defensive side as well. Reminds me of James Wilder down at FSU. Dead set on playing RB coming out of Plant high school, although every team in the country was drooling over his potential as a DE or LB. FSU let him stay on offense and after a ho hum freshman season he was pretty decent last fall.

Perfect comparison

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He won't be taking any visits until after his season.

After seeming to be focused on four schools for some time, he now lists Washington, Oregon and Arizona St. in addition to NU, Boise St., Michigan St. and Michigan. Interesting that I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an Oregon offer and nobody is reporting a Washington offer that I see.

Seems to have a really good relationship with Ron Brown.

• 4 weeks later...