B******!!!

JTrain

it is funny, because i know how pointless this conversation ultimately is on so many levels. but i still will vehemently debate it. we need to do alt. unis. once a year. it is a branding imperative and gets us some added attention. and i think it is worth taking some risks to make the uniforms 'sick' or 'tight' or whatever the kids are saying to demonstrate they are fond of a style.

it is funny, because i know how pointless this conversation ultimately is on so many levels. but i still will vehemently debate it. we need to do alt. unis. once a year. it is a branding imperative and gets us some added attention. and i think it is worth taking some risks to make the uniforms 'sick' or 'tight' or whatever the kids are saying to demonstrate they are fond of a style.

Agreed, and let the players pick what they want, not the coaches or administration.

Fo shizzle my dizzle :B) I don't really talk like that for the record

I am far from a racist, but I find the topic very appealing, so I'll ask the question.... I have always wondered how black athletes feel about stuff like this. A cowboy/farmer on the side of their helmets? Or how Frazier, and others felt running out of the tunnel in the 90's following Herbie "White as I can be Swede" Husker.

I know, I know.... It's our culture, etc., etc..... Just a thought....

I highly doubt black players read that much into it, as for many of them I'm sure mascots/logo appearance is trivial to them. They're grievance would have to be directed toward the student committees from 100 years ago who decided the mascots.

If some do feel offended, think about the flip side if, to appease them, a logo featured a mascot that you could discern for certain was black; There would be 100 times as much backlash, due to the sensitivity regarding animated depictions of black people i.e. "Little Black Sambo". The contracted artist hired to design it would face much more scrutiny so as to make sure there isn't a single pen stroke that could remotely be interpreted as an exaggeration of bodily & facial features and appear as a racist depiction of black people. Native Americans are just about as far as you can go, and even then, there's some controversy regarding mascots inspired by Native American culture. When it comes to mascots that are people, White mascots are just safer and a lot less people will get offended. I'm guessing Tommie Frazier never gave much thought to the racial qualities of Herbie Husker. He, like most of us, probably just took it at face value, which is a harmless cartoon that reflects aspects of the state's culture

Along the same lines of Mascots and offensiveness, I was kind of disappointed when the overall-wearing blonde Herbie was replaced with the new one (even though I don't mind the current look) and that whole line of reasoning of not wanting to reinforce the stereotype that Nebraskans are backward, overall-wearing hicks. If people are making assessments of Nebraskans based on a cartoon caricature of a man, then their assessments don't matter.

I agree we need to and better do it once a year. But I also say that when we do, and publicize such thing as we did last year against Wisconsin, we and the other program get Adidas-or whoever the company is at the time-to come up with something better. I know the opinions on 2012's altis were varied evenly from one extreme to the other. Personally I did not like them and it seemed like everytime they were mentioned on National sports news and such, it seemed to come with a giggle. I just think if something like this is going to be done, they could come up with something a little "hipper" or neater. I understand incorportation traditions and this and that, but if youre really concerned about tradition and "old school" so much, you wouldnt be doing altis to begin with.

I agree we need to and better do it once a year. But I also say that when we do, and publicize such thing as we did last year against Wisconsin, we and the other program get Adidas-or whoever the company is at the time-to come up with something better. I know the opinions on 2012's altis were varied evenly from one extreme to the other. Personally I did not like them and it seemed like everytime they were mentioned on National sports news and such, it seemed to come with a giggle. I just think if something like this is going to be done, they could come up with something a little "hipper" or neater. I understand incorportation traditions and this and that, but if youre really concerned about tradition and "old school" so much, you wouldnt be doing altis to begin with.

this is true. and then it can easily backfire. set us back more. instead of being hip, we are the dorks trying to keep up with the cool kids.

Black is such a cool color though! hehe

Gotta agree...there's probably a reason why the 'Blackshirts' are so interesting...no other color sounds very good.

Do you know the real story of how the original black shirts purchased?

The black pullovers, which distinguished defensive players from offensive players, were purchased at a local sporting goods store by assistant coach Mike Corgan, who was in charge of procuring equipment. He was known for his frugality, always looking for bargains.

His purchase of the black pullovers "was an accident of availability," defensive line coach George Kelly once said. "I told Mike the only reason they had black ones was because they didn’t sell."

The story was that the sporting goods store made Corgan a good deal.

The way Kelly told the story, when players were practicing with the defense, they had worn gray pullovers. Then, when the team was divided into offensive and defensive units, the black pullovers were given only to first-team defenders, as a way to motivate those on the lower units.

The "black" shirts had nothing to do with the "cool color" of the shirts.

Gotta agree...there's probably a reason why the 'Blackshirts' are so interesting...no other color sounds very good.

Do you know the real story of how the original black shirts were handed out?

yeah, it's a tradition started by Charlie McBride to give the defense a nickname.

According to Brent Musberger.

yeah, it's a tradition started by Charlie McBride to give the defense a nickname.

Absolutely freaking wrong! Read post 101.

Absolutely freaking wrong! Read post 101.

I know what the real story is. Brent Musberger cited as what I said in the 2009 CCG. Hell, if you spend the time to look, there's even a thread dedicated to how dumb Brent is about that somewhere on the board.

Please tell me you didnt actually think there were TWO Husker fans that did NOT know the truth of the :bonesflag:

Do you know the real story of how the original black shirts purchased?

The black pullovers, which distinguished defensive players from offensive players, were purchased at a local sporting goods store by assistant coach Mike Corgan, who was in charge of procuring equipment. He was known for his frugality, always looking for bargains.

His purchase of the black pullovers "was an accident of availability," defensive line coach George Kelly once said. "I told Mike the only reason they had black ones was because they didn’t sell."

The story was that the sporting goods store made Corgan a good deal.

The way Kelly told the story, when players were practicing with the defense, they had worn gray pullovers. Then, when the team was divided into offensive and defensive units, the black pullovers were given only to first-team defenders, as a way to motivate those on the lower units.

The "black" shirts had nothing to do with the "cool color" of the shirts.

This looks like one of those mass emails old Republicans send out.

I think what Foppa was referring to was the allure of the Blackshirts, not the origin story.