GT: Iowa at Nebraska - 1PM - BTN2Go

FwhiQ.png9Rxem.pngvRTYS.png

February 23, 2013

1:00PM CT - BTN2Go

Bob Devaney Sports Center (13,595) - Lincoln, NE

Iowa Hawkeyes 17-9, 6-7 (Last: W 72-51 vs Minnesota)

vs

Nebraska Cornhuskers 12-14, 3-10 (Last: L 73-64 vs Michigan State)

Big Ten Standings

#1 Indiana 12-2, 24-3

#4 Michigan State 11-3, 22-5

#19 Wisconsin 10-4, 19-8

#7 Michigan 9-4, 22-4

#18 Ohio State 9-5, 19-7

Illinois 7-7, 20-8

Iowa 6-7, 17-9

Minnesota 6-8, 18-9

Purdue 5-8, 12-14

Northwestern 4-10, 13-14

Nebraska 3-10, 12-14

Penn State 0-14, 8-18

Head Coaches

Iowa Fran McCaffery (297-223, 46-46 at Iowa)

Nebraska Tim Miles (295-234, 12-14 at Nebraska)

Injury Report

Iowa

No injuries to report

Nebraska

G - Mike Petlz - Knee - Out for season

Scouting Iowa

The Iowa Hawkeyes come to Lincoln playing some of their best basketball of the season in the last two weeks. Iowa is 17-9 on the season and 6-7 in Big Ten play, but has won three straight games, including a 72-51 win over Minnesota on Sunday.

Iowa is one of the most balanced teams in the league, as the Hawkeyes play 10 players and no player averages more than 30 minutes per game. Junior guard Roy Devyn Marble leads the Hawkeyes in scoring at 13.6 ppg and is second on the team with 71 assists. Marble was in a scoring slump for most of Big Ten play, but has rebounded with three straight solid efforts. Sophomore forward Aaron White joins Marble in double figures by averaging 13.4 points and a team-high 5.8 points per game. Iowa starts a pair of freshmen in point guard Mike Gesell (9.1 ppg; 2.8 apg) and center Adam Woodbury (5.0 ppg; 5.2 rpg).

• Fire 1

Most likely our last chance for a W this year.

Well, this and the other game against Iowa.

Just don't let Gesell beat us.

It will be interesting to see (if any) the crowd reaction to Gesell. While we can't fault anyone their choice of schools, if he had said yes to Nebraska, there is a decent chance Doc would still be sluggin' Dew on the sidelines.

It will be interesting to see (if any) the crowd reaction to Gesell. While we can't fault anyone their choice of schools, if he had said yes to Nebraska, there is a decent chance Doc would still be sluggin' Dew on the sidelines.

There have been other in-state recruits that I wasn't too disappointed that we lost but I would really have liked to see Gesell in Lincoln (and not just because he's playing for Iowa). I got to watch several of his games in high school and I hadn't seen anyone in quite some time be able to hit 15 foot pull-up jumpers over and over again like he can. Plus he can handle the ball very well.

I'm gonna try to be in his ear all afternoon. You bet.

I'm gonna try to be in his ear all afternoon. You bet.

I have mixed feelings on this. I understand his rationale since he played during summers with a few of his buddies who all went to god-for-saken Iowa, and that would be a tough option to turn down.

However, this state produces so few D-1 BB players, that you'd like to think they'd have some incentive to revive the fortunes of their HOME state. (although we don't mind when FB players from other states choose US). The same is true of the western NE big man who went to Minny. Although not a huge talent, he is getting plenty of minutes and would have been a solid contributor for us. (fwiw, I had heard that T.O. had given Doc the word that he needed to keep instate talent in order to keep his job). Gesell and Okoy didn't happen and now Doc is sprawled on a chair in front of that oversized Jayhawk logo.

Bottom line for me is this: If getting Gesell came at the expense of keeping Doc......and by extension of course.........hiring Smiles............then I can live with our ending on that trade all day long.

This state has produced a decent amount of D-1 talent. Top 25 team and team Miles used to coach at CSU has 4 Nebraska guys. Minny has one, Iowa has one, one is going to Louisville next year, Josh Jones and Antoine Young were major contributors for CU, Matt Hill went to Texas when they were good. There is limited talent in the state, but it isn't a complete wasteland.

This state has produced a decent amount of D-1 talent. Top 25 team and team Miles used to coach at CSU has 4 Nebraska guys. Minny has one, Iowa has one, one is going to Louisville next year, Josh Jones and Antoine Young were major contributors for CU, Matt Hill went to Texas when they were good. There is limited talent in the state, but it isn't a complete wasteland.

True. And all the more compelling for us to keep the few that are...........at home.