Charting Taylor Martinez’s accuracy

I guess i dont really have a problem with the way he takes hits and tackles. Taylor has always bounced right back and come back immediately to make plays later on. Then you look at guys like Dennard Robinson and Braxton Miller, and theyre the ones always getting dinged up. I guess I wont have issues with it until he doesnt get up. He just seems to me to have a knack for getting himself braced for a hit/tackle. He's also seems to have a knack for when to try to deliver a blow. Maybe it's not a knack. Maybe it's just lack of ability or guts, but whatever it is, he's seems to be comfortable doing it that way to me anyways.

I guess i dont really have a problem with the way he takes hits and tackles. Taylor has always bounced right back and come back immediately to make plays later on. Then you look at guys like Dennard Robinson and Braxton Miller, and theyre the ones always getting dinged up. I guess I wont have issues with it until he doesnt get up. He just seems to me to have a knack for getting himself braced for a hit/tackle. He's also seems to have a knack for when to try to deliver a blow. Maybe it's not a knack. Maybe it's just lack of ability or guts, but whatever it is, he's seems to be comfortable doing it that way to me anyways.

For some strange reason I have a feeling that Taylor trying to deliver the hit may help his fumbling issues. I know you would normally think the opposite, but perhaps that added adrenaline would help him hold onto the pig.

Saw him use it a little against UGA, which was new and exciting.

Hopefully we have enough confidence in a backup that will enable Taylor to play more like it.

From what Taylor said, he believes Armstrong is that reliable back up QB, and he stated something about running harder and hitting harder. If so, its going to be nice to see. We saw the physical ability of what he had his RS Freshman year, and the UGA game, and I could only imagine him being stronger than he was 4 years ago.

I think Taylor wants to leave NU with a Boom.

For some strange reason I have a feeling that Taylor trying to deliver the hit may help his fumbling issues. I know you would normally think the opposite, but perhaps that added adrenaline would help him hold onto the pig.

it is not that odd when you think about it. if you are going to deliver a hit, you tend to innately tense up, including your arms holding a ball.

Saw him use it a little against UGA, which was new and exciting.

Hopefully we have enough confidence in a backup that will enable Taylor to play more like it.

From what Taylor said, he believes Armstrong is that reliable back up QB, and he stated something about running harder and hitting harder. If so, its going to be nice to see. We saw the physical ability of what he had his RS Freshman year, and the UGA game, and I could only imagine him being stronger than he was 4 years ago.

I think Taylor wants to leave NU with a Boom.

I remember last year Beck talking about Taylor being smart and not taking ao many hits (no good backup?) So he was listening to coach and running more tentative? If Taylor being more comfortable with his backup lets him turn it loose next fall, I'm all for it.

When it came to completions, SB Nation did not gauge Martinez’s efforts beyond 24 yards, because there was too small of a data size to measure properly. Inside of 24 yards, here’s how it broke down. Remember, this is how far the ball traveled before a WR could catch it, now how many yards a completion turned out to be:

Behind the LOS: 81.8%

0-4 yards: 90.9%

5-9 yards: 75%

10-14 yards: 50%

15-19 yards: 10%

20-24 yards: 16.7%

I'd bet dollars to donuts the two bolded percentages include all the balls Taylor threw away due to nobody being open. Come on Sam, tell me you're better than that. :facepalm:

When it came to completions, SB Nation did not gauge Martinez’s efforts beyond 24 yards, because there was too small of a data size to measure properly. Inside of 24 yards, here’s how it broke down. Remember, this is how far the ball traveled before a WR could catch it, now how many yards a completion turned out to be:

I'd bet dollars to donuts the two bolded percentages include all the balls Taylor threw away due to nobody being open. Come on Sam, tell me you're better than that. :facepalm:

rarely do you see a QB that is throwing the ball away get it more than 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Most of the time they have enough problems just getting it beyond the original line of scrimmage.

Meh...it is what it is. I am actually excited to see that Taylor completes those "short" throws with the success it shows. If he can complete around 83.5% under 10 yards and move chains, I don't care if he only completes 2/15 of deep balls...

I would say the coaches have alot to do with him not lowering his shoulder and trying to truck cats up and down the field

I do, too.

I think a lot changed after the injury his Freshman year against Missouri. The coaches felt they had no one even close to backing up Taylor and made it clear he was to avoid injury at all cost, even if it meant looking like a pu&&y. But I think this weird technique he's done the last two seasons where he slows down and allows himself to be tackled standing up isn't any safer and gives defenders a shot at punching out the football. Or breaking him in half.

This is his senior year. He's not going pro. I hope they let him play unleashed, like the first six games of his career.