Pelini needs to put his mark on defense again

Nebraska spring football starts Saturday, and it’s never too early to come up with a theme for the 2013 season.

How about, “The Bo Pelini Comeback Tour?”

This is Pelini’s sixth spring at NU, and you hear that it’s his most important. I won’t argue that. But the reason why has less to do with the new faces who have to be sorted out in 15 spring practices.

It has more to do with rediscovering an old face.

Bo Pelini, defensive guru. Remember him?

He may not have forgotten how to coach defense, as Bo reminds us. But the fiery swashbuckler who showed up here in 2008 (not to mention 2003), and his hair-on-fire, playmaking defenses, haven’t been seen in a few years.

OWH Link

Here's to hoping all the talk about talent on the scout team allows us to get back to that nasty style of defense, players like Ndamukong Suh and Demmorio Williams/Josh Bullocks.

I do realize that someone as good as Suh is going to be tough, but you get my point.

What if we have players as good as Suh when he was a Sophomore or Junior? We probably do...

"Of course, the record that season was 9-4. That won’t fly in 2013."

So if we go 9-4 next year, Pelini will be fired?

Other than that, very good read. I'm pumped. Let's get this sh#t goin.

He won't be fired, but it's definitely a huge step back. When the pre-season odds come out in August, the only game we probably won't be favored in is @ Michigan.

He won't be fired, but it's definitely a huge step back. When the pre-season odds come out in August, the only game we probably won't be favored in is @ Michigan.

i agree. but in regards to the only game we probably will not be favored in is at michigan, who knows in the B1G. teams that are supposed to be good are bad and teams that are supposed to be bad are really bad.

In the past two seasons, NU gave up more than 40 points in five games, including 70 to Wisconsin in last year’s Big Ten championship game.

This is really discouraging. Especially the Wisconsin CCG debacle last year. How can we beat a team, and then two months later get blown out by that same team on a neutral field? It was a Cosgrovian effort. It really was. :facepalm:

• Fire 1
In the past two seasons, NU gave up more than 40 points in five games, including 70 to Wisconsin in last year’s Big Ten championship game.

This is really discouraging. Especially the Wisconsin CCG debacle last year. How can we beat a team, and then two months later get blown out by that same team on a neutral field? It was a Cosgrovian effort. It really was. :facepalm:

Because the same two teams weren't on the field. People get beat up, coaches change tactics, players develop over the course of the season and life events happen between games.

"Of course, the record that season was 9-4. That won’t fly in 2013."

So if we go 9-4 next year, Pelini will be fired?

Other than that, very good read. I'm pumped. Let's get this sh#t goin.

I know. It just comes off that way. "That wont fly", as if there will be serious consequences. I dont know why things like this have to be written. Well, yeah, I do. Because here I am talking about it.

Because the same two teams weren't on the field. People get beat up, coaches change tactics, players develop over the course of the season and life events happen between games.

Yeah, I realize not having Steinkuhler hurt us. A lot. And we had others dinged up as well. But come on, a 3 point win vs a 40 point blowout? It's hard to justify.

If Bo has another winning season with one or two embarrassing blowouts next fall, it's safe to say he has established a pattern, and it will be hard to believe that he is the defensive guru he professes to be. He won't get fired, but a lot of fans will hope he seeks employment elsewhere. Let's hope we get a solid effort this year.

Yeah, injuries, particularly Baker put us at a disadvantge in the CCG, but even shorthanded, we should have been able to keep it respectable. The Nebraska coaching staff got taken behind the woodshed by Bulemia.

The entire CCG was a crap show from the very beginning. It wasn't just on Pelini and the coaching staff, the defense just wasn't making plays at all. Evans getting embarrassed by Ball, Stafford and Smith continually taking bad angles.

They were also facing a Wisconsin team that was feeling slighted and mad at how they had lost their last few games. They came to play, and when the first bad play happened for Nebraska, things snowballed like they have happened to do since we've joined the Big Ten.

The entire CCG was a crap show from the very beginning. It wasn't just on Pelini and the coaching staff, the defense just wasn't making plays at all. Evans getting embarrassed by Ball, Stafford and Smith continually taking bad angles.

They were also facing a Wisconsin team that was feeling slighted and mad at how they had lost their last few games. They came to play, and when the first bad play happened for Nebraska, things snowballed like they have happened to do since we've joined the Big Ten.

Dont forget the constant onslaught of trick plays and formations that Wisconsin immediately poured on that sent the defensive mindset into such a spinning overload that there was no chance for recovery.

Dont forget the constant onslaught of trick plays and formations that Wisconsin immediately poured on that sent the defensive mindset into such a spinning overload that there was no chance for recovery.

He did the same thing w/ his defense - standing 4 on the line make our offense look pretty inept for the majority of the game. Taylor's pick 6, etc. Both sides of the ball were pathetic. Brett took our staff to the shed on both sides of the ball. Its rare you see a team get out-coached as much as our staff did that game. They players certainly didn't execute - but I give more credit to the Wisconsin staff than I place blame on our players.

• Fire 1