NFL 2013 Free Agency Discussion

zoogs

Great in-depth piece on how the Welker deal went down.

http://espn.go.com/b...-danny-amendola

Pats' final offer: 2 years, 10 million w/incentives that could up it to almost 16. Welker camp felt it would be too hard to reach; Pats would not budge.

Patriots didn't want to lose both him and Amendola and moved quickly as soon as the Welker talks puttered out on Tuesday in advance of the official free agency start.

When Welker got his Denver offer he called back to check if New England would sweeten the deal, and was told sorry, the team had already made other commitments.

Life moves on fast in the NFL, wow.

From this standpoint the Pats were pretty damn competitive with their offer. Welker paid the price of saying no to it, if you could call catching passes from Peyton Manning a sentence.

The fact of the matter is that Welker is an above-average player...who is replaceable. It boggles my mind that analysts/the media apparently don't watch Welker run patterns. Even HOFer Michael Irvin spoke today on NFL Network about Welker's "great timing". Please. He runs what is known as a "speed cut", meaning he is immediately taking a curved direction toward the area in which he should receive the ball yards before any defender can even get close to him. After that, it's a matter of reading defences and his quarterback getting him the ball in stride within the proper passing window (and/or in between zones in defensive pass coverage).

Granted, this is not as easy as it sounds, particularly because it depends on both the receiver and QB being in sync - which Brady and Welker so ofter were. But New England runs those patterns ad nauseum for one main reason: It doesn't require a superstar physical talent to perform this receiving duty. It requires an above average one - one that can be replaced once their perceived value exceeds what the team believes his value to be. Honestly - watch Welker run patterns. The ball is there before anyone else is. Simple. It's not like he's making great moves, has blazing speed, or can out-jump/-fight most players for the ball. (Besides, over the last few years, Welker has shown a gap in his hands range, much like a baseball hitter has a gap in their swing - he doesn't catch the balls thrown over his shoulder that require full arm extension. It happened early on in the AFC final last season, and it will happen again.)

Sure, go ahead and like Welker. He's a good player with exceptional stats. But he's more of an effect of the scheme than he is a precipitator. Like I've been saying - watch his patterns. They don't require good moves. When was the last time anyone said "great, athletic move by Welker to lose the defender(s)"? Because he doesn't do that. He runs the offence, just like Edelman did when he stepped in - and also made himself look better than he is. The Pats will move on, and so will Welker. Chances are that if New England falters this season it won't be because they miss their old slot receiver for the last 6 years.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130313/peter-king-on-welker/#ixzz2NVBaeymV

From the comments section of Peter King's SI.com article deriding the Patriots for miscalculating Welker's value. Posting because it makes me feel better. Also I sort of agree.

Not gonna lie, the Niners and Seahawks are setting themselves up to be pretty damn dominant for the next few years. Awesome power run games, stout defenses, young playmaking QBs, and skill position players to top it all off. They are 2 teams I wouldn't enjoy playing on any given Sunday if I were another NFL team, coach, player, or owner.

Not gonna lie, the Niners and Seahawks are setting themselves up to be pretty damn dominant for the next few years. Awesome power run games, stout defenses, young playmaking QBs, and skill position players to top it all off. They are 2 teams I wouldn't enjoy playing on any given Sunday if I were another NFL team, coach, player, or owner.

Pete Carroll.

mark-cuban.jpg