Coaches Cautious with Martinez

Not sure if anyone has read this article from Journal Star, but its a good read. I really like what Martinez has become over the last couple years. The kid shows he wants to get better, and with cutting his Spring Break short to train with Calhoun, only makes me support him even more. I don't know if you can ask more out of Martinez (besides less fumbles lol). His work ethic is amazing. Our whole offense seems to have this same attitude.

Nebraska's practice Thursday will mostly consist of scrimmaging, perhaps as many as 100 plays, much to the delight of the players.

Taylor Martinez hopes he can be part of the fun.

"I haven't scrimmaged at all (this spring)," the senior quarterback said Wednesday after the seventh practice of the spring. "I wish I could. The coaches won't let me."

Martinez is preparing for his fourth season as Nebraska's starter. He's the clear-cut No. 1 on the depth chart. The coaches know what they have in him. So it makes sense to keep him on the sideline when the action is "live."

It especially makes sense in light of running back Ameer Abdullah's knee injury suffered Saturday. Abdullah, a projected starter, probably could return later this month, but Husker coach Bo Pelini has said Abdullah may be held out the rest of the spring.

Martinez noted that Abdullah's injury didn't occur during scrimmage action.

During scrimmaging this spring, Martinez has mostly signaled in plays from the sideline.

"I'd rather be on the field," he said. "I think it's boring sitting on the sidelines not doing anything.

"I can't stand it. Sometimes I try to go out there, and they keep pulling me out," he added with a smile.

Martinez plans to spend some of next week's spring break working with quarterback coach Steve Calhoun back home in Laguna Beach, Calif.

* EMBRACING THE WORK: For many players, spring practice is drudgery. It's all practice, no games.

Martinez, though, enjoys it.

"I love practicing, just coming out and hanging out with the guys," he said. "I think it's fun. It's better than doing nothing at home."

Great article! T-Mart has turned into the ideal teammate, and a much better leader than alot of people thought he would a few years ago.

I am guilty of that last part. I thought we were headed for failure and was sure he would have lost his spot to Carnes when he came in. He turned 180* and has been vocal and, recently has an attitude we have been waiting for. I am actually VERY excited to see him this year. I think we will see more ball security and a LOT more smart runs from him. He is going to go wild with it being his final year.

Kid is a baller. At that age, giving up Sr year spring break, to meet with a QB coach says a lot. He wants to win and is doing everything possible to assist in winning. Including paying for and sacrificing his own time to do this and get better. As mentioned, cutting the fumbles would be a huge improvement that would make his game look exponentially better with all else being the same.

Smart move by the staff. Give the younger guys the reps in practice. Martinez gets banged up tons during the season. No reason to risk an injury. Year four they (staff) knows what they have in Martinez.

Yep...if he just cuts down on the turnovers....he would be an even more lethal scoring machine.

If he does this then he could be the best dual threat qb in the country next season

If he shores up his passing numbers just a lil.............

Then I would definitely agree! He will definitely be solid as usual next year!

If he shores up his passing numbers just a lil.............

Then I would definitely agree! He will definitely be solid as usual next year!

In order for that to happen, we need to be MUCH better in pass protection, which I am not holding my breathe for lol. I hope will be though.

Meh it's half and half. The pass pro was pretty decent last year, atleast compared to the past. But Taylor has a habit of feeling phantom pressure and scrambling when he has plenty of time to go through his progession.