Watched one of the Spring Practices

mwj98

Any football fan, even if they knew nothing about nebraska or cross, could tell he is a short yardage guy. In the games he got more than 3 rushes, he avged 2.8 and 1.9 ypc. There is nothing that leads me to believe he would take carries from anyone?

Because he is suppose to break a 15 yard run up the middle, when his only job was suppose to get 1 yard for the first down? Come on dude. I am just giving MY OPINION, that you are COMPLETELY underestimating Cross. 15 lbs makes a SIGNIFICANT change in someones speed and quickness, especially going from 225 to 210, while working on all those things. Sure you can't teach quickness or speed, but you can enhance it. Something even Martinez has said about Cross. But then again, our own player who takes snaps with him must be wrong. In a quote from last week, Martinez states there is no speed difference in snaps with Cross in, over Ameer, and thinks Cross has a chance to take the starting roll. I really wish Martinez wasn't such a liar.

Anyway, I am done with condoning on ruining a perfectly good thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets almost as many snaps as Abdullah.I will be shocked if he wins the #1 spot over a healthy Abdullah, just because of experience, but I think Cross will be our best back in over a decade. He has all the intangibles to be.

Barring injury, I dont see Cross getting more than 15 percent of carries next year. Yes he cut and he gained speed, but lets not assume he can run like Helu just yet. He is still a big boy.

With that said....we all crab about recruiting, but we stole this guy from tennessee a few days before signing day. Bigtime get.

How do you figure he wouldn't get 15 percent of the carries, when he got 25% (55) of the carries that Ameer (226) got, when Ameer and Heard were healthy? That was also as a true freshman. I highly doubt, even with Ameer healthy, we will give him the same load he had last year, especially when its not needed.

year

Ameer is not the only person on our roster who carries the football. Last year as a team we had 662 rushes. 15% practically doubles his workload. (up from 8 and some change last year)

We continue to pretend Ameer is a small back, incapable of handling a big ten workload. Forget that. He's a horse. Fast, elusive, great vision, and as strong as an ox. Total package.

Our offense is partial to speed anyway. I see Cross being a guaranteed 5 yards. But the odds of him breaking more than an 8 yard run? unlikely. The chance of him catching passes out of the backfield? unlikely. We need both in our offense.

If Cross is a guaranteed 5 yards, what better weapon could you have? We could never pass the ball once all season and never punt. Dream offense right there. Not to mention what that does to the psyche of the opposing defense.

• Fire 1

While I understand the points made by all on the Cross discussion here, I'm being a 100% in saying none of know jack sh#t about his current capabilities and potential, and his performance and usage of a year ago dont mean crap right now. Personally? I think those trying to pose the argument that Cross wont be as effective are going to be joyfully wrong. Just from what I've heard. Maybe not if Abdullah didnt get hurt, but with that injury, Cross has a huge HUGE shot at faster development. Seriously, who else on the RB depth chart that is here right now is getting legitimate work?

• Fire 2

While I understand the points made by all on the Cross discussion here, I'm being a 100% in saying none of know jack sh#t about his current capabilities and potential, and his performance and usage of a year ago dont mean crap right now. Personally? I think those trying to pose the argument that Cross wont be as effective are going to be joyfully wrong. Just from what I've heard. Maybe not if Abdullah didnt get hurt, but with that injury, Cross has a huge HUGE shot at faster development. Seriously, who else on the RB depth chart that is here right now is getting legitimate work?

I agree with you on Cross. I think last year we saw a player that was timid in his first year in college ball and he still was a major threat on the goal line. And, it's laughable for anyone to say he the chances of him breaking a play over 8 yards is nill. He did that several times last year as a Freshman. The biggest thing for him is confidence and he needs to learn to hit the hole HARD. He needs to understand that he can punish that LB or DB that is trying to tackle him. Now, if he is faster than last year, watch out.

Just a comment on the bolded part. It's spring ball. They better all be getting "legitimate work".

Just a comment on the bolded part. It's spring ball. They better all be getting "legitimate work".

You got me there. I should have worded that different. Of the running backs that are here and getting work, who besides Cross actually have a shot at being a legitimate contributor?

Another interesting stat for you, on your comment about Cross being that player you never see break more than an 8 yard run...

Cross- 55 attempts, 8 being 10+ yards, 4 being 20+ yards, 44 yard long

Abdullah- 226 attempts, 32 being 10+ yards, 8 being 20+, 45 yard long.

Pretty odd that this slow, over rated RB has 25% of Ameer's carries, is only 1 yard short of Ameer in longest run, and is 4 runs under 20+ yards.

I am not taking anything away from Ameer, just showing you that I think your absolutely wrong thinking Cross won't get sh#t for carries, and he won't be very valuable. Your underestimating this kids abilities and speed.

His 40 yard run was against arkansas st

Big ten stats (the ones that matter)

vs wisconsin DNP

@OSU 1 rush 13 yards

@NW 1 rush 3 yards

vs Mich 2 rush 4 yards

@MSU DNP

vs PSU 8 rush 22 yards

vs MINN 10 rush 19 yards

@ Iowa DNP

Any football fan, even if they knew nothing about nebraska or cross, could tell he is a short yardage guy. In the games he got more than 3 rushes, he avged 2.8 and 1.9 ypc. There is nothing that leads me to believe he would take carries from anyone? In close games, he was a nonfactor. Most of that is probably due to the fact that he was a freshman. But even still, when he got his shot against inferior opponents, he didnt do very well.

And stop saying 25 percent. Ive explained it multiple times. That percentage makes ZERO sense. I have the impression that im arguing with a 15 year old. If so, im embarrassed

I have been reading you two arguing and I can explain a little bit from both sides I think. I teach high school math and I think I see that you two are both looking at it from different angles. Husker Nation Nick is saying that Cross had 25 percent of Ameer's carries which is true. If you take 55 divided by 226 and multiply by 100 you get 24.34% which is what he is arguing. You are saying that he had 55 carries out of 281 combined carries which would be 19.57% of the combined carries. You are both right with how you are both looking at the numbers. Nick is comparing Cross's numbers to Abdullah's numbers and you are comparing his numbers to the combined numbers. I can't help you on the other parts that you guys are disagreeing on though. :)

• Fire 1

I have been reading you two arguing and I can explain a little bit from both sides I think. I teach high school math and I think I see that you two are both looking at it from different angles. Husker Nation Nick is saying that Cross had 25 percent of Ameer's carries which is true. If you take 55 divided by 226 and multiply by 100 you get 24.34% which is what he is arguing. You are saying that he had 55 carries out of 281 combined carries which would be 19.57% of the combined carries. You are both right with how you are both looking at the numbers. Nick is comparing Cross's numbers to Abdullah's numbers and you are comparing his numbers to the combined numbers. I can't help you on the other parts that you guys are disagreeing on though. :)

That is all I have been saying... from the beginning. Cross will see close to Abdullah's carries, if not more (pending knee injury and how it heels), or if he just overall wins the #1 spot.

You got me there. I should have worded that different. Of the running backs that are here and getting work, who besides Cross actually have a shot at being a legitimate contributor?

The only other name I have heard pop out, is King Frazier. I believe he is taking snaps under 2nd team, but I doubt he is a legit contender in starting over Abdullah (healthy), Cross or even the incoming Freshman. I could be wrong, but hard to rave over someone that you haven't heard anything about.

That is all I have been saying... from the beginning. Cross will see close to Abdullah's carries, if not more (pending knee injury and how it heels), or if he just overall wins the #1 spot.

I don't know if he will have a chance to win the #1 spot, as long as Abdullah is fine, but I do think he will get more carries next year.