Status Update

CN, it's not at all about telling you what you believe, or not welcoming your opinion on the matter. There's a place, on the board, where we confine all the smack talk and ripe language - it's the Woodshed and it's opt-in; use it. The other areas of the board, we want to maintain a pleasant environment for all users, of all ages.

I completely understand, but I mite curse every once in a great while outside the shed, and it's never at a poster, it's usually about how much I hate Duke or some other team. I will watch myself from now on since others feel it looks bad and do I really need to swear in updates, etc? Not really. I was just stating that I really didn't think it looked bad or was as big a deal as people were making it out.

You don't know me, don't act like you do. I've got more than one diploma, worth 12 years of school, so nice try. I don't know where you think I'm acting the victim. I've stated my opinion, if you don't agree with it move on, don't try to pigeonhole me. Rules, yes, the board has rules. But, is it really swearing when it's censored???

I incorrectly assumed you were a student.

When you have been told by the mods it is, then it is. Take your advise.

I guess i should be used to being censored with our govt, but it doesnt mean i have to like it. Now it just seems to be growing and and expanding. The world is getting really soft which is one reason there is so much BS going on around it today. I guess i just have to accept this board is leaning that way too. Why not, right? Everybody is doin it, its the coolest.

Let me ask you this. How does it benefit you to include profanity? Is it needed? Does your sentence structure fall apart without cursing?

I realize these are rhetorical questions. But actually, yeah, there are people for whom swearing is an integral part of language. (C N Red, I am NOT saying you’re one of these people). I worked construction during summers between UNL. Some of the construction crew guys would sprinkle every sentence with an f-bomb or two. For a while, I picked up that habit. Used to swear like a sailor in my everyday speech—back then, not now. It’s a hard habit to completely shake.

OTOH, if twenty-something guy goofed around on the Interwebz all summer instead of working construction, he might sprinkle his posts with Ponies instead of profanity. These are just two different way of embellishing your communication. One is NOT acceptable for the eyes of a kindergartner. The other is ONLY acceptable for the eyes of a kindergartner. :lol:

So... they're used to using such language. Are you implying that such language is appropriate for all places, all times? It's not, not remotely, and I fail to see the relevance of this at all.

I swear profusely while driving. I swear while working on household projects. I swear in all kinds of situations. But I have the wit to realize that there are places where it's not appropriate, no matter how much an integral part of my vernacular it might be.

These are simple, basic filters everyone should have. Knowing the times and places for behaviors and attitudes. Anyone not grasping that has far bigger problems than not being allowed to swear on a message board.

Can you have a profanity habit when typing? I understand one, or two slipping out of habit in conversation, but it would seem fairly easy to catch while using a keyboard. Maybe it's just me. I proofs read lik theirs know tomroow.....