Ways that Nebraska Has Pioneered

The thread about the new arena scoreboard got me thinking about all the things that our university has been cutting edge with over the years. It's the offseason, so let's talk about it. What are some of the most memorable and most impressive ways that Nebraska has paved the way not just in football, even though this is the football forum, but across athletics as a whole?

It's actually really interesting being younger and growing up without any points of reference, because so much of what I take for granted around our program I always just assumed was the norm across the country. I specifically remember reading an article after the North stadium expansion in '06 talking about the new videoboard, and the spirit of the article was basically along the lines of "Nebraska already has four huge video screens, way more than anyone else, and now they're adding another one and oh yeah it's the biggest in the country."

Someone who is more informed than me, please describe how we really pioneered athletic training. Wish we could have kept that a secret! LOL

First full-time paid strength coach in history and became the first person in college football to create workout programs. When I was in high school in the 1990s, and while my brothers were in high school in the late 80s and early 90s, our high school followed the workout program that the Nebraska strength coach published publicly. I think I even have the book still.

This article goes over some of the information.... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5312405

The thing is, there is no longer an edge in weight training anymore as all major programs across the country do the same lifts. The school that pioneers the next big thing will be the team that gets the competitive edge. I hope what Nebraska is building right now will be the next big thing.

As well as the athletic training and development, dont forget the psychological advances made in the early 90's. Pretty sure I'm not wrong in saying Nebraska and Osborne were the first to really take the psychological state of mind of a team seriously. The hiring of a team pshychologist and the induction of a "unity" council. Pretty sure that was something that was never done. Now everyone has unity and "leadership" councils. Everyone keeps close tabs on the psychological mindset of their team.

Off the top of my head:

-- First school to install field turf for football

-- First school to have instant replay video boards for football

-- One of the first schools to employ a Sports Nutrition staff (last I heard we are one of only 5 schools with multiple people on staff)

-- Soon to be first school to have a dedicated research facility studying concussions and athletic performance

Off the top of my head:

-- One of the first schools to employ a Sports Nutrition staff (last I heard we are one of only 5 schools with multiple people on staff)

-- Soon to be first school to have a dedicated research facility studying concussions and athletic performance

We installed field turf in 1999, correct? Werent' we also the first school to use astro-turf before then? When did that start?

Off the top of my head:

We installed field turf in 1999, correct? Werent' we also the first school to use astro-turf before then? When did that start?

Correct on field turf. No on astroturf though. I had to look it up and this is what I found on astroturf. According to that link, Indiana State was the first college to install astroturf.

As well as the athletic training and development, dont forget the psychological advances made in the early 90's. Pretty sure I'm not wrong in saying Nebraska and Osborne were the first to really take the psychological state of mind of a team seriously. The hiring of a team pshychologist and the induction of a "unity" council. Pretty sure that was something that was never done. Now everyone has unity and "leadership" councils. Everyone keeps close tabs on the psychological mindset of their team.

That's true. 90% of the game is half mental.

That's true. 90% of the game is half mental.

true, but of that mental 45%, 100% of it is mental.