So it sounds like...

The worst thing I took away from the game was that VV did not play because of a concussion. I hope this isn't a recurring issue that ruins his career. NU is having bad luck with DL injuries the past few years.

On a side note...VV looks like a physical specimen. He has the looks of an SEC DT.

I was impressed with Curry's pursuit. He can run a little. Has decent size. As far as the TE's Long did a great job. He did well blocking and showed he can run. Our young guys did a good job catching the ball. I didn't watch their blocking. Vestal did show up quite a few times but it was also against some younger OL/TE's. I agree with those who said that RK3 and Armstrong could be co-2's. I think Armstrong will get the nod though because he needs seasoning for the next season while RK3 is a SR. When it comes down to it though, I think both could do a job job if Taylor went down. Ryker also showed he has some talent.

I tried to focus in on the linebackers and d-line as much as possible. Things worth mentioning:

Like others have said Zaire looked good. He seems to play with an edge and a kind of ferocity. That was encouraging to me.

Afalava and Brown looked good but were just slow reacting a lot of the time. Once they made up their mind where they were going they played hard and got there fast. I think all those guys will be physical enough to get off blocks and make the tackles, but they have to react quicker.

The DL didn't seem like they were getting man handled or anything but they were not finding a way to get to the qb or get off blocks.

Avery Moss has the speed and motor to chase things down. Aaron Curry moves very well inside. Wish we could have seen VV and GM. Goes without saying, but we have to get more physical on the D-line. Improving technique and getting stronger in the off-season is imperative.

Overall I agree that the speed and athleticism up front is much better this year but it didn't really show in the spring game unless you were watching close because guys were playing with hesitation.

In watching it a 2nd time, I think Mo did a nice job at CB.

That's the thing about cb's. If, youre not noticing them much, it's probably a good thing.

That's true in the passing game, on the flip side he also did well in run support where it's not a bad thing to get noticed. It will be interesting to see what happens when Green comes back.

Mo and Zaire looked good and the TE's did much better than I expected.

The TEs were a pleasant surprise. Everybody else played about as I expected.

I think Sam Cotton will be a quality TE this year, as will Jake Long.

Two reasons Beck told what's his name we won't be needing a juco TE in 2013 not named Sandland

So we withdrew our offer to Beau Sandland, and that's why he went to Miami?

No. Once Marrow left for UK we were sunk with Sandland. We were in on another JUCO out of Cali whose name escapes me that we pulled the offer from due to Jake Long's improvement.

Zaire Anderson and Trevor Roach was by far our most talented and athletic LBs out there on Saturday. Love looked good as well, but he still has some learning and molding before we see him on the field for game day.

Its hard to say where we are at, as a team, as teams were split. Size, its hard to say, because our main guys didn't play on DL. The individual talent is there, and I am more comfortable now, than I was on Friday, if Martinez was to get pulled from a game, for any reasons. RKIII looked solid. Martinez made mistakes he shouldn't be making in his Senior year, but its only Spring.

It would have been nice to see 1st string offense, with a mock up of 1st string defense for one drive. The white team had a decent rush D. Its not easy to stop Cross. As a full team assessment though, I think we will just have to wait until September. Either way, I was very pleased with the attitude we had, and the pure athleticism we have on both sides of the ball.

Oh, and we better see Alonzo Moore on the field next year. That kid is amazing. Hands, speed and elusive. Everything I have heard, showed to be right about him.

Zaire Anderson's skill showed on the 2-1, when he got to the RB.