How Many National Championship Games Has NU Lost?

jmfb

This has probably been asked before

But how many times- what years and games- where we lost the game and it cost us a National Championship

Lets not go to something like 1978 Missouri, but in the Bowl Games

Of Course there is 83 vs Miami, 93 FSU, 2001 Miami

How about some of those Devaney teams that lost to Bama others etc

But how many times- what years and games- where we lost the game and it cost us a National Championship

I think that's it.

What about 1982 against Clemson? Didn't Clemson become National Champions after beating us?

From my understanding we would have been National Champions had we beat Clemson

Edit: Never mind. 1981 season, but the bowl game was in 1982.

The 1965 and 1981 seasons were contingent on the results of other bowl games. In both seasons, NU was #3 and #4 respectively heading into those bowl games. The proper dominoes fell in both seasons for NU to claim at least a share of the title.

--1965 - #1 Michigan State, #2 Arkansas lost their bowl games. #3 NU lost to #4 Alabama.

--End Result = Michigan State (UPI poll champ) & Alabama (AP poll champ) = Split national title.

FYI, the 1965 season was the first year the AP would wait to issue their final poll votes after the bowl games were played.

--1981 #1 Clemson beat #4 NU. #2 Georgia lost to #8 Pittsburgh. #3 Alabama lost to #6 Texas.

--End Result = Clemson (Outright national champ)

FYI, I remember hearing at the time that had NU beaten Clemson, they likely would've shared the national title with either Penn State or Pittsburgh.

Does it have to be the final game of the year? There were years like 1982 when we only lost to PSU and that cost us the championship.

Yeah, and 1978 when we beat OU to be ranked #1. Then lost our last regular season game to unranked Mizzou in Lincoln. :facepalm:

I was at the 82 Clemson Orange Bowl. It was the worst game that NU played all year. That includes there early loses. There literally was 60K Clemson fans there and about 15K Nebraska fans. It was only about a 300 mile drive or something like that from S. Carolina. They lost like 23-15. Had about 3 turnovers etc. Clemson was good, but they wern't that good.

Can't we go to non bowl games? The 1999 loss to Texas still rips me apart.

This.

Can't we go to non bowl games? The 1999 loss to Texas still rips me apart.

This.

^^Double this

If we're playin this game, then I say 1996 Texas Big 12 CCG. We win that and we're 3 peatin. No doubt. No one had sh#t on that '96 defense when everyone didnt have the flu.