Jason Collins - NBA Center, 12 years in the league, comes out

If Collins does not sign a contract this summer as a free agent and effectively retires, do we still consider him an active player?

His season was over two weeks ago. He'd just be another John Amaechi, right?

Either way, it is courageous.

Well I guess it makes sense that they beat me to it. But, I meant one big day, not this watered down annual event. I am just so sick of hearing about it and the media trying to sensationalize it and generate discussion and acceptance. Most people already accept it and those who don't have a right to their opinion too. I don't give a flip who Jason Collins or any athlete prefers to "sleep" with.

With the report of Jason Collins coming out as being a gay man. Thoughts?

Its hard for me to not be harsh about it, because my personal belief thinks its wrong, but I do think there should be a level of "who cares" when it comes to sports. After listening to ESPN radio the past couple days it seems to be that people shouldn't be concerned with what people do with their "personal" lives off the playing fields

However, why is it that he has to TELL the world about it. I strongly believe in a don't ask, don't tell policy...Just keep your mouth shut. That way no one has to give you any crap about it.

I wonder how HuskerBoard will react when the first member decides to let slip in conversation that he/she is gay. It'd be nearly statistically impossible for us to NOT have at least one frequent poster who's gay, but to date, I don't know of anyone who's discussed it publicly here. I presume the reaction will be similar to the better reactions Collins is getting from his peers. This is a pretty good bunch of folks here, after all.

I suspect someone who was only here for a short while but he/she made quite the impression . . .

When ever I read or hear of stories like this, I find myself asking...."Why does anyone give a flying rip?"

I dream of the day when some public figure says they are gay and nobody cares.

I dream of the day when public figures don't have to say that they are gay, because it is so inconsequential.

When ever I read or hear of stories like this, I find myself asking...."Why does anyone give a flying rip?"

I dream of the day when public figures don't have to say that they are gay, because it is so inconsequential.

Saying the same thing.

Saying the same thing.

Indeed. Just was taking it a step further.