Jason Collins - NBA Center, 12 years in the league, comes out

There's some hoopla over Jason Collins, who has been a starting center on two NBA Finals teams, coming out as gay. He's in the league this year, although it's his 12th season and he may retire. If he comes back next year he'll be the first athlete in a major sport to actively play after announcing he's gay.

I put it in this forum because we have several threads about gay issues here already. Frankly I think it's getting to be less political and more... whatever (not sure what. Normal? Regular? "Not news?"), but who knows how the conversation will turn, so instead of moving it here later, I put it here to start.

So... anyone care about this? Does it change anything for you about Collins? About the NBA in general?

I'll be honest - I haven't paid attention to the NBA in so long I had no idea who this guy is/was when I saw this pop up on the twitter.

Some general questions:

Do you know who Collins is? Does this affect how you feel about him positively, negatively, or not at all?

Should gay athletes come out? Does it help or hurt anything if they come out, or does it help/hurt if they keep their sexuality to themselves?

How important is Collins' announcement to the NBA? To major sports? Big deal or nothing to get excited about?

I think it would have meant more if it would have been a marquee name. But the issue with him is that he is a journeyman that has been released several times and now if the team tries to release him because of his value on the court, there will be people on the other side of the line screaming that it was because of his preference of partner.

Had this been a 10 time all-star making $100 million, then we would see what the management of a team really felt.

I think it is tremendous that he decided to come out, it is monumental.

With that said, I wish it would have been a better-known player in their prime. It would have been even more influential than a 34 year old, who wasn't that good, and is probably going to retire.

I really dont care. I'm glad he's doing it. I wish they all would. The faster we move passed this supposed "issue"-if it can even be labeled an issue-the faster society can move on to more pressing issues in my eyes.

Dont make a difference either way.

Well, there are still things like this: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/04/bridging-the-divide-wilcox-county-high-school-students-hold-first-integrated-prom/

So I'm guessing we are unfortunately a long way off from people getting past things like a gay NBA player.

Proud of him for not living in fear or shame or secrecy, but I also don't envy his position. I don't care how non-politically correct it is, we all know that professional athletes are in the position they are because of their physical skills, and the status quo usually involves noticeably less developed societal skills. Hopefully the guys on his team in the sense of their franchise will also be on his team in the sense of supporting him as an individual, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets treated like a leper either publicly or privately.

Congrats to him, he just opened the door for many more athletes to follow in his footsteps.

Him being gay doesn't affect me at all, and it's the NBA so I don't really care about that. The most imporant thing here is that someone finally had the courgae to come out to the world while being a pro athlete.

Seems like he's getting support around the league:

@Baron_Davis

I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real. #FTheHaters http://bit.ly/12J9el5

@SteveNash

The time has come. Maximum respect. RT @Baron_Davis: I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real.

@kobebryant

Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU

@tonyparker

Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is.

@RealJasonKidd

Jason's sexuality doesn't change the fact that he is a great friend and was a great teammate. @jasoncollins34

@KennethFaried35

Wow this is amazing all smiles.. So so happy Jason Collins came out & announce he was openly GAY ALL SUPPORT OVER HERE

@RealDealBeal23

Proud of @jasoncollins34 for expressing his feelings! Great teammate, mentor and better person !! #liveyourlife !

@GTemp14

Much respect to my teammate @jasoncollins34 for being #real

@MartellWebster

@jasoncillins34 you have made sports what it should be and that's "OPEN" proud of you for being you.

Of note, Bradley Beal, Garrett Temple and Martell Webster, the last three tweeterers (is that a word?) are current teammates of Mr. Collins.

@Baron_Davis

I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real. #FTheHaters http://bit.ly/12J9el5

@SteveNash

The time has come. Maximum respect. RT @Baron_Davis: I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real.

@kobebryant

Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU

@tonyparker

Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is.

@RealJasonKidd

Jason's sexuality doesn't change the fact that he is a great friend and was a great teammate. @jasoncollins34

@KennethFaried35

Wow this is amazing all smiles.. So so happy Jason Collins came out & announce he was openly GAY ALL SUPPORT OVER HERE

@RealDealBeal23

Proud of @jasoncollins34 for expressing his feelings! Great teammate, mentor and better person !! #liveyourlife !

@GTemp14

@MartellWebster

@jasoncillins34 you have made sports what it should be and that's "OPEN" proud of you for being you.

Of note, Bradley Beal, Garrett Temple and Martell Webster, the last three tweeterers (is that a word?) are current teammates of Mr. Collins.

This is a breath of fresh air.

I really dont care. I'm glad he's doing it. I wish they all would. The faster we move passed this supposed "issue"-if it can even be labeled an issue-the faster society can move on to more pressing issues in my eyes.

Well, there are still things like this: http://abcnews.go.co...ntegrated-prom/

So I'm guessing we are unfortunately a long way off from people getting past things like a gay NBA player.

I saw that the other day and was gonna bring it here, and never got around to it.

How the hell was that even legal?

Also a little BTW, Rochelle, Georgia is Alfonzo Dennard's hometown.

@Baron_Davis

@SteveNash

@kobebryant

@tonyparker

@RealJasonKidd

@KennethFaried35

@RealDealBeal23

@GTemp14

@MartellWebster

Great stuff all around.

This is a breath of fresh air.

Indeed. While I think the mood of the country has moved from "tolerance" to "acceptance" and even beyond into "meh," I guess I'm even surprised by this. It's great.

Like Forrest Gump said:

So I never went back to work for Lieutenant Dan, though he did take care of my Bubba-Gump money. He got me invested in some kind of fruit company. And so then I got a call from him saying we don't have to worry about money no more.
And I said "That's good. One less thing
."

Well, there are still things like this: http://abcnews.go.co...ntegrated-prom/

I saw that the other day and was gonna bring it here, and never got around to it.

How the hell was that even legal?

Also a little BTW, Rochelle, Georgia is Alfonzo Dennard's hometown.

You got me. I had to re-read it a couple times to make sure it wasn't something from The Onion