ESPN Big Ten Prime-Time TV Schedule Discussion

Michigan didn't do night games because they didn't have permanent lighting. They do now. The No Night Games in November rule is the hang-up now for that game. That'll be changed soon, I imagine.

And why didn't they have lights? Because they didn't want to play at night. Its not because they couldn't afford them. And while Delany won't stand in the way, some of the teams themselves will resist. Nebraska and Penn State are the main two that really love night games. There is a bit of stodgyness within many of the programs still.

But now Michigan's current AD, Dave Brandon, has shown more than enough willingness to break past the 'norms' of Michigan Football. Michigan will start playing more than its fair share of night games. Maybe not in November, but just as much as other B1G teams do.

Michigan didn't do night games because they didn't have permanent lighting. They do now. The No Night Games in November rule is the hang-up now for that game. That'll be changed soon, I imagine.

And why didn't they have lights? Because they didn't want to play at night. Its not because they couldn't afford them. And while Delany won't stand in the way, some of the teams themselves will resist. Nebraska and Penn State are the main two that really love night games. There is a bit of stodgyness within many of the programs still.

But now Michigan's current AD, Dave Brandon, has shown more than enough willingness to break past the 'norms' of Michigan Football. Michigan will start playing more than its fair share of night games. Maybe not in November, but just as much as other B1G teams do.

Lets hope so. The big named schools need to be playing in primetime. The biggest games are all under the lights, and by not representing at that timeslot only hurts the B1G perception, out of sight, out of mind.

I'm all for prime time games, but only if they're at home. Bo is 1-5 on road Saturday prime time games, with the one win being against Wyoming. 1-8 if you count the three championship games. 3-8 if you count Thursday games.

On the flip side, he's 13-2 at home, with the two losses both occurring in his first year (VT and Missouri).

Im also confused as to why Fox can't televise the game? Is that a Pac12 only type of thing?

Fox doesn't have a TV contract with the Big Ten. The reason why Fox televised it last season was because it was a Pac-12 controlled game. This year it's not. It can only be on either ABC, ESPN or BTN this season.

Unless the rights to the UCLA @ Nebraska game fall to the BTN, and the BTN decides to sell them to their minority shareholder Fox for national broadcast and profit.

This is extremely unlikely, though--this will likely be an ESPN game.

Im also confused as to why Fox can't televise the game? Is that a Pac12 only type of thing?

Fox doesn't have a TV contract with the Big Ten. The reason why Fox televised it last season was because it was a Pac-12 controlled game. This year it's not. It can only be on either ABC, ESPN or BTN this season.

Unless the rights to the UCLA @ Nebraska game fall to the BTN, and the BTN decides to sell them to their minority shareholder Fox for national broadcast and profit.

This is extremely unlikely, though--this will likely be an ESPN game.

That can't happen. BTN can't sublease any games to any other network. Doesn't matter if it's to the network that is a majority shareholder. Once again, these games can only air on ABC, ESPN or BTN. No other network.

The UCLA game should be an 11AM start. This would be for tactical advantages since the CA players internal clocks would make them feel like it is 9AM. Strategy.

tumblr_mlx3l8bErw1qzaoamo1_r1_500.gif

?

I don't know, I'm a little hungover so I'm not exactly thinking straight.

The UCLA game should be an 11AM start. This would be for tactical advantages since the CA players internal clocks would make them feel like it is 9AM. Strategy.

tumblr_mlx3l8bErw1qzaoamo1_r1_500.gif

?

I don't know, I'm a little hungover so I'm not exactly thinking straight.

Duncan's face is funny in this. He looks like a cartoon or something.

I don't care when they play. The game will be on tv and as long as we win what does it matter.

For the most part, it doesn't matter because I will be able to see all the games. However, there are two areas where it does matter:

1) Recruits = Being on Prime Time gives us that much more visibility to recruits. Coaches can go into recruits homes and tell their parents they are on Prime Time X number of times where they can see them. If the game is just on Big Ten network, the recruits area might not get it.

2) Usually schedules on Saturday work out better for me if I can watch the game in the evening. It's a picky thing. But, having a game in the middle of the day ends up taking up most of a Saturday. If it's in the evening, there is time to do other things before the game.

I don't care when they play. The game will be on tv and as long as we win what does it matter.

For the most part, it doesn't matter because I will be able to see all the games. However, there are two areas where it does matter:

1) Recruits = Being on Prime Time gives us that much more visibility to recruits. Coaches can go into recruits homes and tell their parents they are on Prime Time X number of times where they can see them. If the game is just on Big Ten network, the recruits area might not get it.

2) Usually schedules on Saturday work out better for me if I can watch the game in the evening. It's a picky thing. But, having a game in the middle of the day ends up taking up most of a Saturday. If it's in the evening, there is time to do other things before the game.

Plus it's more socially accepted to get hammered at night rather than 2 in the afternoon.