The Christian Response to Jason Collins

i guess it makes sense the christians have persecution complexes, but c'mon.

I know there are plenty of Christians that fall into this, but I think for many, it's not necessarily a persecution complex, just a resigning sigh that most all beliefs and orientations and lifestyles are celebrated except for the ones that say "Now hold on a second, no that's not right". The "intolerance of tolerance", if you will.

• Fire 2

I know there are plenty of Christians that fall into this, but I think for many, it's not necessarily a persecution complex, just a resigning sigh that most all beliefs and orientations and lifestyles are celebrated except for the ones that say "Now hold on a second, no that's not right". The "intolerance of tolerance", if you will.

Plus the War on Christmas.

• Fire 3

Obamacare!

• Fire 1

Here's how you know Christians have a persecution complex. This is a thread about a professional athlete coming out in a culture where heretofore such admissions have been verboten, yet one mention of a Christian being treated less-than-favorably and this thread will now morph into a debate over the level of persecution Christians face in America today.

• Fire 1

christianity is celebrated, it is just so ingrained in our culture and society that we no longer recognize it. christmas and easter are major holidays. louisiana does not have counties, they have parishes. we have christian schools and most of our most impressive architecture is dedicated to christian churches. you can not blame minority positions, whether you agree with them or not, for celebrating when they finally arrive to a point of a modicum of acceptance.

i am just confused on how you would like it to be different for christians and the celebration of christianity?

• Fire 1

Here's how you know Christians have a persecution complex. This is a thread about a professional athlete coming out in a culture where heretofore such admissions have been verboten, yet one mention of a Christian being treated less-than-favorably and this thread will now morph into a debate over the level of persecution Christians face in America today.

Well done.

Yea, it is unfortunate that Tebow never gets credit for his Christian works.

http://espn.go.com/e...eving-tim-tebow

http://www.wltx.com/...ieving-Student-

http://bleacherrepor...star-role-model

http://www.gainesvil...-to-awards-show

That's 4 links from 10 seconds of searching. Perhaps they should say "Tim Tebow, Christian, does good thing" in the headlines?

I'm still waiting for the links that say he should shut up.

Obamacare!

BENGHAZI.

• Fire 1

Obamacare!

BENGHAZI.

9loEK5k.gif

• Fire 1

christianity is celebrated, it is just so ingrained in our culture and society that we no longer recognize it. christmas and easter are major holidays. louisiana does not have counties, they have parishes. we have christian schools and most of our most impressive architecture is dedicated to christian churches. you can not blame minority positions, whether you agree with them or not, for celebrating when they finally arrive to a point of a modicum of acceptance.

i am just confused on how you would like it to be different for christians and the celebration of christianity?

I don't want to derail this thread into something it shouldn't be, so maybe this should be it's own thread, but I disagree with the statement that Christianity is celebrated.

You mention Christmas and Easter. Originally pagan holidays adopted by Christians for their own celebrations of their faith, and now re-adopted by the mass public as secular holidays focused on different things. Christmas and Easter mean wildly different things to different groups, and the most widespread and permeating American versions leave little to no room for centrality of God or the gospel.

The rest of the examples I'm not really sure how to approach; but my point is this. Christian moralism and ideology is celebrated...sometimes....except for when it is in disagreement with the prevailing opinions of the time....and minus nearly all of the doctrinal and theological framework. Just stripped down to the messages of good and bad.

It's fascinating to me how a country founded upon religious freedom (among other things) can look so eerily like a Christendom, where most people who claim the faith do so out of their citizenship to the country and their culture verses claiming it out of a personal conversion experience and relationship.

• Fire 1

If I may add:

+1

I don't want to derail this thread into something it shouldn't be, so maybe this should be it's own thread, but I disagree with the statement that Christianity is celebrated.

You mention Christmas and Easter. Originally pagan holidays adopted by Christians for their own celebrations of their faith, and now re-adopted by the mass public as secular holidays focused on different things. Christmas and Easter mean wildly different things to different groups, and the most widespread and permeating American versions leave little to no room for centrality of God or the gospel.

The rest of the examples I'm not really sure how to approach; but my point is this. Christian moralism and ideology is celebrated...sometimes....except for when it is in disagreement with the prevailing opinions of the time....and minus nearly all of the doctrinal and theological framework. Just stripped down to the messages of good and bad.

It's fascinating to me how a country founded upon religious freedom (among other things) can look so eerily like a Christendom, where most people who claim the faith do so out of their citizenship to the country and their culture verses claiming it out of a personal conversion experience and relationship.

When was the last time Muslim moralism was celebrated in this country? Or Hinduism? Or scientology-ism? I guess I don't understand why Christians feel such a need to have a pat on the back and be told how wonderful their religion is, when that same group of people often goes out of their way to ostracize other religions.