The Christian Response to Jason Collins

Tim Tebow has something to say about it....and honestly...he has a point to some degree....

https://www.facebook...6&type=1&ref=nf

I don't think he has any point. What he's saying there is that he wants the media to notarize him because he's a Christian athlete. He's using his faith as a way to garner attention, and that is wrong. Christianity is not discriminated against in sports and you hear athletes all the time thanking God.

Homosexuality had no place in the big four sports because it wasn't something you'd associate with an athlete. The fact that Jason Collins came out and is an athlete is monumental only because it starts the processing of recognizing that there are many athletes who are gay.

I bet you won't hear Collins at every press conference mention the fact that he's gay like Tebow mentions Jesus.

• Fire 9

Tim Tebow has something to say about it....and honestly...he has a point to some degree....

Just to be very clear, that isn't Tim Tebow's message. His twitter is @TimTebow, not @TheTimmyTebow.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Still a good point regardless of who wrote it.

i disagree. tebow may be heroic with his humanitarian efforts, but there is nothing brave about a christian athlete admitting as much. no one in america is committing suicide because they are ashamed of their christianity. tebow absolutely has the right to make his religion front and center, but he has no right to get attention for it; which he obviously does get attention for it as anyone who knows of tebow knows about his faith.

Just to be very clear, that isn't Tim Tebow's message. His twitter is @TimTebow, not @TheTimmyTebow.

It really isn't. Christian athletes have never been ostracized/excluded from participation in American sport. Athletes thank their god all of the time, and no one says a word. Tebow is controversial for many reasons, his overt Christianity is only one fraction of that. All together, the controversies serve to make him a much more popular athlete than a substantially below average NFL quarterback should be. To say he doesn't use his Christianity to promote himself would be laughable.

It really isn't. Christian athletes have never been ostracized/excluded from participation in American sport. Athletes thank their god all of the time, and no one says a word. Tebow is controversial for many reasons, his overt Christianity is only one fraction of that. All together, the controversies serve to make him a much more popular athlete than a substantially below average NFL quarterback should be. To say he doesn't use his Christianity to promote himself would be laughable.

Yes it really is. Look at the link once again. He holds the media accountable. Not the NBA, NFL or any other organization. The media, in that view, does not embrace people with Christian ideology like they do others.

What kind of idiocy is that?

For those not interested in clicking on the link, it goes something like this:

Tim Tebow: "I'm a Christian."

Media: "Keep it to yourself."

Jason Collins: "I'm gay."

Media: "This man's a hero!"

Utter balderdash. First "the media" is not some coherent body that makes such pronouncements. Some members of the media probably did opine that Tebow's uber-Christianity was a bit much. They were in the minority. Some members of the media did call Jason Collins a hero for coming out. They were, also, in the minority.

This is yet another in a series of "woe is me, I'm a persecuted Christian" propaganda that panders to the baser elements of a societal group. Christians don't face persecution in this country on a systemic basis. Most Christians in America will face no worse "persecution" than someone disagreeing with their faith. This is not persecution, it's discourse. There are, I'm sure, demonstrable incidents of actual factual persecution of Christians in America. But you'd have to go looking for them, because such instances are far from prevalent.

Christians are not a persecuted minority. A December, 2012 Gallup poll showed that 77% of Americans self-identify as Christian. The pity-party inherent in this strawman facebook meme would be laughable if it wasn't so absurd.

Tim Tebow is as likely to become the victim of a hate crime based on his religion here in America as I am to become the next Pope. Tim Tebow isn't brave for self-identifying as Christian - he's literally preaching to the choir in America.

• Fire 7

Yes it really is. Look at the link once again. He holds the media accountable. Not the NBA, NFL or any other organization. The media, in that view, does not embrace people with Christian ideology like they do others.

Really? "The Media" doesn't embrace people with the Christian ideology? Watch much Fox News, do you?

If you think "The Media" is out to get Tim Tebow for his Christianity, demonstrating this should be simple enough....

Well, I try not to watch Fox News if I can help it. It usually gets my blood pressure up.

I don't think the media is "out to get him" but if he were speak out against something based on his Christian values, I don't think there would be 4 days of coverage on ESPN and other places commending his courage to stand up.

Maybe I read the link differently than others but I guess that is how I saw it.

I don't think the media is "out to get him" but if he were speak out against something based on his Christian values, I don't think there would be 4 days of coverage on ESPN and other places commending his courage to stand up.

Ignoring the glomming of all print, radio, TV and internet sources into one bucket called "the media," you completely understand how Tebow being a public Christian and Collins being publicly gay are two very, very, very, very different things, right?

EDIT - and when you say yes, I'll say "I knew that you did" because I know you do. You come across as a pretty sharp cookie (at least to me).

Well, I try not to watch Fox News if I can help it. It usually gets my blood pressure up.

Maybe I read the link differently than others but I guess that is how I saw it.

Well, I'm just looking for concrete examples of Tebow being told to shut up about his Christianity, since you said the link "had a point". They may exist, but I'm guessing there aren't many and you'll have to look hard to find them.

Frankly, there would be no coverage of him speaking about his Christian values because probably 90% of athletes and 77% of Americans (as knapp pointed out) in general would identify as Christian.

The coverage is around Jason Collins because he is the first and only known gay athlete in the 4 major US sports. Seeing the difference?

Ignoring the glomming of all print, radio, TV and internet sources into one bucket called "the media," you completely understand how Tebow being a public Christian and Collins being publicly gay are two very, very, very, very different things, right?

EDIT - and when you say yes, I'll say "I knew that you did" because I know you do. You come across as a pretty sharp cookie (at least to me).

Yes they are different in many ways. I looked at the meaning of the statement from a broader sense than Christian vs Gay. Like I said. Maybe I read more into it than others.

this is not directed at stpaulhusker, but what do those propagating the tebow memes want from the media? his christianity and missionary work is well documented. but stories come and go. every time there is a bigger story, we have to revisit all other story-lines?

i guess it makes sense the christians have persecution complexes, but c'mon.