Redskins will "never" change name

Exactly, if the Redskins wanted to try to smooth things over, offer scholarships to kids on reservations, donate money to improve infrastructure on reservations, things of that nature...

if they did those things, then no one would care about their name.

i think walks point is also that, yes they can change their name, but who cares? what good does that really do? yes, the name is tasteless, but what harm is it causing and what good would the change do? the name is offensive, but not an injustice like what is going on on the rez.

This is exactly it...

If the name does get changed, it's going to be a bunch of white people that can say, "we were instrumental in getting this football team to change it's name, so now we can feel that we've done some good". If these people actually cared, they'd do something for the people that are on the reservations.

walks, are you in anyway offended by the name "Redskins?"

Exactly, if the Redskins wanted to try to smooth things over, offer scholarships to kids on reservations, donate money to improve infrastructure on reservations, things of that nature...

i think walks point is also that, yes they can change their name, but who cares? what good does that really do? yes, the name is tasteless, but what harm is it causing and what good would the change do? the name is offensive, but not an injustice like what is going on on the rez.

This is exactly it...

If the name does get changed, it's going to be a bunch of white people that can say, "we were instrumental in getting this football team to change it's name, so now we can feel that we've done some good". If these people actually cared, they'd do something for the people that are on the reservations.

Not at all...

My view of the issue might not jibe with some of my fellow tribesman though...

This is exactly it...

Not at all...

My view of the issue might not jibe with some of my fellow tribesman though...

Isn't this an issue with a small amount of Native Americans?

Isn't this an issue with a small amount of Native Americans?

I talked to my Dad today, who lives on the Rosebud Res, and he told me that 95% of the indians on the rez don't care about that name, or that the owner's an a$$hole. The only people that care about the name "Redskins" are "the indians who want some attention or white liberals"...

They care about the pipeline that will running through the Res or the fact that we want the Black Hills back...

People seem to want to pick and choose what is conveniently offensive to them. So we'll make the Redskins change their name, but the Blackhawks are ok?

I don't really see anything problematic with Blackhawks. It's not a racial epithet like Redskins.

Agree.

People seem to want to pick and choose what is conveniently offensive to them. So we'll make the Redskins change their name, but the Blackhawks are ok?

I don't really see anything problematic with Blackhawks. It's not a racial epithet like Redskins.

I don't have a problem with it either, I still wearing my Fighting Sioux jersey, which is just about the same as the Blackhawks jersey...

This is just another attention grab for champagne liberals and air heads to feel good about "doing something" for the cause of Indian rights. If the name gets changed and it probably will eventually, the liberals will fold up the tents and absolutely nothing will truly change for the Indian people in this country. The media will have already moved on to the next "Cause celeb" and see if they can sell a few more papers. At least they can get a good nights sleep knowing they have fiddled for a few minutes while Rome Burns.

• Fire 1