Redskins will "never" change name

snapback.pngCreighton Duke, on 15 May 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

snapback.pngknapplc, on 15 May 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

I believe the situations are entirely similar. The setting is the only thing that's different. I also believe you'll likely get your wish that there would never be a law covering this.

The setting being different means everything.

OK. I respect your opinion. I just don't see it that way. There is no law to support the stance I have regarding non-workplace discrimination, but there is a related law that covers the workplace. If hateful/harmful words are uttered in the workplace, connotated to someone's protected basis under, say, Title VII, the employer can be found guilty of allowing a discriminatory environment to persist. Those same words & actions don't magically become OK because they're uttered on the street, at least not in my opinion. There's just no law (currently) that covers such a thing.

I know all about the workplace stuff, I'm not arguing that. Outside the workplace, on the street, anything could be construed as harmful. Hell, you have radicals claiming harassment by men who approach them to tell them that they are "looking nice". I am very happy that we differentiate between what is acceptable at work and outside of work. I don't need to be harassed by HR (sorry) while walking down the street.

Walks- just to be clear, I am not wound up about this issue at all. The thing that has my attention is the idiotic points being offered up by someone in this discussion. Now that is not to imply "someone" specifically. *wink wink*

f-yeah.gif

i could watch that .gif all night.

First, I was trying to continue with the theme of the thread being the Redskins organization. Second, creating a hostile work environment and calling someone a name are not the same thing. That was my intention, about not being quite right. Most generally you are correct that businesses lose almost every time because the laws are stacked against employers. But as long as the Redskins organization has been around this has never been an issue.

I see. I didn't catch that about continuing the theme. Nevermind about half of what I said, then. :D

Businesses successfully defend themselves from discrimination claims more than 80% of the time. Proving intent is tremendously difficult for even a seasoned trial lawyer. Joe on the Plant Floor just about doesn't stand a chance against a corporation with several levels of management, HR, corporate attorneys, etc. The deck is decidedly stacked in the employer's favor.

And regarding the length of time the name "Redskins" has been an issue, that pretty much started the day they changed the name. It's been going on for decades, there just isn't an applicable law for the "offense" the people offended can file suit under. There have been protests against the Redskins name several times, including at the last Super Bowl they played in.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

here's a good article on the pc-ness of today's world and being offended for other people when the group themselves aren't offended.

No Native Americans are offended by the name Redskins? Thanks for sharing.

also, why can people not be offended on behalf of someone else?

Hey guys, how about we worry about trying to do something about the high crime rate, suicide rate, unemployment rate, and high school dropout rate, instead of worrying about the name of a football team...

If you're ever in SD, drive through the Pine Ridge Rez or the Rosebud Rez (where I grew up), and see if changing the Redskins name, is going to have any affect on their way of life?

• Fire 3

Hey guys, how about we worry about trying to do something about the high crime rate, suicide rate, unemployment rate, and high school dropout rate, instead of worrying about the name of a football team...

If you're ever in SD, drive through the Pine Ridge Rez or the Rosebud Rez (where I grew up), and see if changing the Redskins name, is going to have any affect on their way of life?

this is a great point. puts this in perspective. it is just a feel good distraction for the real problems and abject conditions facing american indians.

What's the difference between Redskins, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Illinois Illini, Golden State Warriors, Florida State Seminoles, North Dakota Sioux, etc.? Racial slurs? I don't know for sure, undecided. Some Native Americans, probably majority, likes Redskins name.

Forty years ago, "colored" and "negro" words was perfectly okay in public view. Now no-no.

BTW, used to be Stanford Indians and recently changed, Arkansas State Indians.