Redskins will "never" change name

Being upset over racial (or any) "insensitivities" only when it is convenient for you is one of the tackiest traits one can possess.

what does this mean?

I'll give an example. Sometimes when I am carrousing with some of my black friends, I compliment them on the black man's general lower approach anxiety and the ability to oftentimes be "suave" when dealing with the womens. They have no problem with this racial stereotyping. Later, when they pick out the girl at the bar with the worst face and the biggest ass to spit game one, I compliment them on the black man's general predisposition to girl's with the big booty. They laugh and give me crap, but let it be known that if they didn't know me that "s#it would go down".

So, why is it acceptable to be "insensitive" in some circumstances, but not others? Oh yeah, beacause many people enjoy getting "offended" when it works for them

first, this was pretty ridiculous reading.

second, a lot of people i know say sh**ty things about me. if they are friends, i do not care. if they are not friends, i take offense. is that your point? you seem to be confusing racism with general bullshi#ing.

third, how do you really know how they feel about your comments? you make it seem like they put up with your racism because they like you, even if they do not necessarily like your attitudes about everything. i have very close friends whose certain attitudes on things offends me, but i get over it because of our friendship.

finally, people can pick and choose what they find offensive. i still do not understand what makes it convenient? what is the convenience?

Being upset over racial (or any) "insensitivities" only when it is convenient for you is one of the tackiest traits one can possess.

what does this mean?

I'll give an example. Sometimes when I am carrousing with some of my black friends, I compliment them on the black man's general lower approach anxiety and the ability to oftentimes be "suave" when dealing with the womens. They have no problem with this racial stereotyping. Later, when they pick out the girl at the bar with the worst face and the biggest ass to spit game one, I compliment them on the black man's general predisposition to girl's with the big booty. They laugh and give me crap, but let it be known that if they didn't know me that "s#it would go down".

So, why is it acceptable to be "insensitive" in some circumstances, but not others? Oh yeah, beacause many people enjoy getting "offended" when it works for them

second, a lot of people i know say sh**ty things about me. if they are friends, i do not care. if they are not friends, i take offense. is that your point? you seem to be confusing racism with general bullshi#ing.

third, how do you really know how they feel about your comments? you make it seem like they put up with your racism because they like you, even if they do not necessarily like your attitudes about everything. i have very close friends whose certain attitudes on things offends me, but i get over it because of our friendship.

finally, people can pick and choose what they find offensive. i still do not understand what makes it convenient? what is the convenience?

Ridiculous reading how? I'm an excellent writer.

My racism? Who said I wasn't black myself?

Stop being such a try-too-hard.

what does this mean?

You really don't understand? He is saying that people will fight a "cause" when it is convenient for them to fight it.

it was ridiculous reading because i never knew how badly i did not want to know what it it like when you hang out with your friends.

black people can not be racists?

'try-too-hard'? how do you know i am not a 'not-try-hard-enough'? what does a 'try-too-hard' even mean. your posts make it seem like you are trying too hard to be offended by the fact that occasionally certain things offend certain people.

You really don't understand? He is saying that people will fight a "cause" when it is convenient for them to fight it.

when else would your fight a 'cause'?

I think I see what you are saying. Another example would be when Catholic want to change the law so they can legally refuse to rent an apartment to a gay couple, all in the name of 'religious freedom' while at the same time they object to any changes in the law that would allow the gay couple of have the freedom to get married and enjoy all to legal and religious benefits that come from marriage.

Truely, as you say, the tackiest trait.

Also, note that your black friends don't object to you assigning a positive trait to their race. How would they feel if you suggested that their race is responsibile for their advanced skills in the field of lethargy?

The name "Redskins" has no meaning to anyone (positive or negative) unless they either express prejudice against native americans, or combat prejudice against native americans. I don't know how many people that is, but I'd guess that it is less than 5% of the population. If people are like me, they really don't know anything about the history of the term Redskins. It's just a mascot for a sports team, nothing more.

The Eaton Colorado high school is the Eaton Reds and their mascot is none other than a stereotypical native American Indian. About ten years ago a couple native Americans at UNC raised a stink about it. I don't remember how it all went down but the only thing to come out of it was a group that started calling themselves the Fightin Whities. Some radio shock jocks in Denver were suggesting they change the name to Eaton Beavers. It was quite the brouhaha for awhile. But, they're still the Reds and haven't heard squat about it for some time now.

They would have been the wealthiest High School in the US if they had. They would have sold more gear then Lebron and MJ combined.

• Fire 1

The name "Redskins" has no meaning to anyone (positive or negative) unless they either express prejudice against native americans, or combat prejudice against native americans. I don't know how many people that is, but I'd guess that it is less than 5% of the population. If people are like me, they really don't know anything about the history of the term Redskins. It's just a mascot for a sports team, nothing more.

i agree. i also think that language is contingent.

I have never understood how people are offended by a name of a sports team like this. I think the entire issue is a waste of people's time.

Are you a Native American? Because if not, don't even try understanding. It's a highly offensive and derogatory term to a lot of Native Americans.

No...but i guess I was raised that words like this really mean nothing to me even if I were a Native American. If this issue were simply about the word "Redskins", then I would probably understand. But, Native Americans have been complaining about names that are not derogatory like the Fighting Sioux that Walksalone mentioned about or the Florida State Seminoles. There's nothing derogatory about these names other than these groups have now decided they don't like it.

Is Gothenburg supposed to stop using Swedes because it offends Swedish people? Are we supposed to stop using Cornhusker because it offends farmers? Is Lexington supposed to stop using Minutemen because it offends descendants of Revolutionary War soldiers?

Native Americans have fabricated this issue.

I guess the entire town of Ogallala should change it's name.

Actually the best comparison would be the Fighting Irish since that was actually considered a slur when it originated. They seemed to have moved on and I have never anyone complain about that.

The Eaton Colorado high school is the Eaton Reds and their mascot is none other than a stereotypical native American Indian. About ten years ago a couple native Americans at UNC raised a stink about it. I don't remember how it all went down but the only thing to come out of it was a group that started calling themselves the Fightin Whities. Some radio shock jocks in Denver were suggesting they change the name to Eaton Beavers. It was quite the brouhaha for awhile. But, they're still the Reds and haven't heard squat about it for some time now.

They would have been the wealthiest High School in the US if they had. They would have sold more gear then Lebron and MJ combined.

Funny you point that out. I'm pretty sure the radio station did print up some Eaton Beavers shirts and I know for a fact that the Fightin Whities group had/has T-shirts on the market.

If people are like me, they really don't know anything about the history of the term Redskins. It's just a mascot for a sports team, nothing more.

The nickname had been the brainchild of George Preston Marshall, a laundry magnate and flamboyant showman who had bought the Boston Braves football team in 1932. As his second head coach, Marshall hired William “Lone Star” Dietz, a journeyman coach at the collegiate level whose mother was most likely a Sioux. It was in “honor” of Dietz, who coached the team for just two seasons and who at Marshall’s urging willingly put on war paint and Indian feathers before home games, that Marshall changed the team’s name to the Redskins. When Marshall, frustrated by Boston fans’ lack of support, moved the franchise to the nation’s capital in 1937, the coach was gone, but the team name stayed.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/nov/10/racist-redskins/?pagination=false

it was ridiculous reading because i never knew how badly i did not want to know what it it like when you hang out with your friends.

black people can not be racists?

'try-too-hard'? how do you know i am not a 'not-try-hard-enough'? what does a 'try-too-hard' even mean. your posts make it seem like you are trying too hard to be offended by the fact that occasionally certain things offend certain people.

when else would your fight a 'cause'?

The bold, for it's lack of logical flow (i.e. it doesn't make sense) and for it's extreme nature is egg-zactly why you're trying way too hard.

Also, what does the response to teachercd even mean?