Handling temporary overnight work and post graduation

Looking for a little help, guidance and inspiration here tonight.

I graduated college last weekend, and was working part time at a job in my profession, which has now been bumped up to full time. One of the employees at my job is going to be out for two weeks, and as the new kid on the block, I have to take his shift - the overnight.

At first, I was a upset. Though I knew I my job would include working overnight shifts occasionally, I wasn't supposed to work them full time. There's no way to get out of it, and I'm trying to stay positive, but it's difficult. The overnight shift is a little different than the dayside shift, so I'm not getting to do the work I'm supposed to be doing (one of the reasons I took the job in the first place). On top of that I've been finding the transition into the working life difficult. My roommate will be moving away, I'll have less time to see my girlfriend, family, etc. It's been a weird last few days for me emotionally.

For those of you who did overnight work, any advice for getting through the next couple of weeks and staying positive?

For everybody else, did you experience this post graduation anxiety and, for lack of a better term, depression? How long did it take you to get over it and do you have any advice?

I think Walksalone is your go to guy for this one.

All I can say is just stay focused on your long term goals whatever they may be. Whether it's buying a house, getting hitched, getting a new car, whatever just remember why your working in the first place. I've been having a rough time lately and that's what's been getting me by. Even though the circumstances have changed I set knew goals to keep my priorities in line. And if things seem like they're just not working out the way you want them to don't be afraid to look for a better job. My friends and I all basically all graduated 2 years ago and out of about 6 of them 3 already have a different job than what they started out with after graduation. (They all had position in their field and still do)

• Fire 1

I would do anything to work overnight because I am a true night owl, but I know people that are day people really struggle. I don't know if your struggle is the physicality of working at night or it is the actual job, but I was in your shoes once upon a time. I quit the job I didn't like before I found another and it worked out. I was probably lucky. In hindsight I struggled for a couple of months working a job that I worked twenty more hours a week for half the pay, but I was young and I had faith. It paid off when I found a great job that really opened doors for me. If I hadn't quit the first job I would have never found the other.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you really dislike the job or if you are whining? In my opinion, you should be expected to fill in as the new kid on the block. If you really like and appreciate your job you won't mind.

I can't speak to the post grad part of things, but I did do a couple years working 11p-7a. I had the freedom to bring in and listen to the music of my liking, and if you do have the freedom, I highly recommend it.

Keep your overnight hours on your off days. It makes the transitions back to the work week much smoother. It can be a challenge as you do end up limited just due to the time. I caught up on a lot of movies, and played a lot of video games.

Decide on your sleep plan. Do you want to be up through most of the day and sleep then get up and go to work, or come home from work and crash and have the early evening? I found the later worked better for me, and allowed me to have a little bit more of a social life.

Having been in the full time working ranks for about 30 years, I would say; it's only two weeks, suck it up. If the job is worth it on days, surely some occasional or short term night shifts are worth it too. If you wanna feel better about it, just imagine what life would be like without a job. It takes a little sacrifice to get ahead. This concludes the tough love portion of tonights advice.

I just graduated last weekend as well, but I have already lived through this kind of stuff with not wanting to do something. I was an intern at my job for the last two years before starting full time this week and in that time I got asked to do all the really sh#t things nobody else wants to do. The thing that gets your head above everyone else is doing those tasks without a problem or negative comment. When you get through the two weeks express your distaste in a healthy way to whoever it may concern and show that you rose above it. The people who are your manager will take note that you did a task you didn't necessarily like, but did it for the greater good. You will take many lumps on your way to where you want to be and the best thing I can say is anchor down and fight through it.

I am in a similar position as well with the roommate thing as my friend just moved out due to graduation and went back home. Now I have nobody around and I am a social person who needs some connections. The biggest thing is to find anybody you can that has the ability to connect with your situation and get together no matter the timing. Everybody needs some social interaction to maintain sanity.

Good luck and if your in Lincoln I could possibly help in other ways if necessary. Stay strong.

I worked the nightshift in a small town in Nebraska. One or two times a week the crew would head over to the Midway bar, which opened at 6am to serve breakfast and beer. I had more fun playing pool, drinking draft, and playing the jukebox in the hours of 7am to 10am. By 10:15 am I was tucked in. It was a great life

But you did say that this night duty was just temporary, so just grin and bare it.

I've worked the overnight for the past 6 years and in the beginning, yeah, it does suck and feels weird, but that is going to come with the territory. If its only for a few months, then it's not so bad. But while you're doing it, make sure you take the positives that it presents, and make the best of it.

In my case, I'm the only one here, and I'm running the show, and I've only got 4 people around me at night to deal with. This makes it infinitely easier than being here during the day when there's a couple dozen people to deal with, not to mention the "management". As for the life outside of work, when I get home, I wake up the wife, see her out the door, take her kids to school, come home, crash out, and then wake up when she gets home from work, and hang out, have dinner, etc, then I go to work.

If you're willing to make little alterations to your life, here and there, you'll be ok...

If you've got any more questions, need some advice, or whatever, just shoot me a msg, i'd be glad to help...

oh, and Zrod..

tumblr_ls25zgeypc1qhusf7.gif