Athlon Ranks the AP-Era Dynasties; 1990s Nebraska #2

Greatest AP-Era Dynasties  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Athlon ranked the college football dynasties of the Associated Press Era (1934-present), the teams that put together massive win streaks marked by utter dominance and the lamentation of their opponents.

It's a pretty tough thing to rank; how do you say Nebraska's five-year 90s run of 60 wins to three losses is "better" than #3 Miami's seven-year run from 86-92 of 78 wins and six losses? They have their explanation and everyone will have their varying opinions.

Oklahoma's dominating run from the late 40s to the late 50s leads their ranking at #1, followed by the 90s Huskers:

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers (1993-97): 60-3

Is winning more than 95 percent of your games a good thing? That is what Tom Osbourne did at Nebraska over his final five seasons. Led by arguably the greatest college quarterback of all-time in Tommie Frazier, the Big Red posted four unbeaten regular seasons, all of which culminated in a trip to the national championship game. One loss to Florida State in the ’93 Orange Bowl is the only thing that kept the Huskers from four national championships in five seasons. A huge upset in the inaugural Big 12 title game to Texas was one of just three losses during this stretch. This Nebraska run produced the 19th longest winning streak in NCAA history with 26 straight wins from 1994-96.

LINK

The Huskers of the early 70s make an appearance later in the rankings (#23).

Perhaps the most intriguing ranking is Alabama (2008-present) at #4. If they win an unprecedented third straight BCS National Championship, and fourth in five years, how far up this ranking would you move them? Ahead of #3 Miami? Ahead of #2 Nebraska? All the way to #1?

I think I'd have to hand it to them if they win another. The do get marked down somewhat for not having undefeated seasons but it's impossible to argue that there aren't more tough games during a season now then there used to be and recruits are spread among a lot more schools - even if they are taking advantages of opportunities that other schools don't.

With that bein said, I see 2 losses for them. Just too much pattin' on the back goin on down there. Even Nick Saban and his "process" yada yada wont be enough to overcome it. They're still college kids with young minds. 3 titles in 4 years and being put on a pedestal everyday, it just gets hard to stay hungry.

With that bein said, I see 2 losses for them. Just too much pattin' on the back goin on down there. Even Nick Saban and his "process" yada yada wont be enough to overcome it. They're still college kids with young minds. 3 titles in 4 years and being put on a pedestal everyday, it just gets hard to stay hungry.

Who ya got them losing to?

If Alabama can pull off what nobody has done before, then by all means they are the best college football dynasty we've ever seen, and deserve to be number one.

Their schedule sets up nicely for it.

No different than any other year is it?

They don't play Georgia, South Carolina, or Florida this year.

They have LSU at home. They do have to go to A&M.

Who ya got them losing to?

I think A&M gets 'em again. Johnny Football'sR style of play just seems to be that little thorn in Saban's side.

I dont think they lose to LSU, but after the A&M loss, I think someone else besides A&M sneaks up on 'em. That's just the what I think. Just because theyre not supposed to losedoesnt mean theyre invincible. It seems they've already been perceived as the 2014 champions the minute they won the 2013 championship and everyone took a glimpse at their possible returning lineup. We werent supposed to lose to AZ St and Texas in '96 either. I just happen to think it's gonna happen (and hope).

I don't move Alabama up very far at all. Only one of their season has been undefeated, and during one of the championship years, they didn't even win their division.

So you'd take a few extra regular season wins over championships?

Okay.

I agree w/ you - but many on here would take the regular season wins - see the Wisconsin versus Nebraska season thread.