Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

I can't stand AC/DC because it all sounds the same. The more I actually learn to play guitar, the more contempt I have for the band. All of their songs are 3 chords, which in and of itself is not an issue, as most songs are 3 chords. The problem is their entire body of work is the same 3 chords.

To me Rush has two very good musicians in Peart and Lee, but I can't stand Lee's voice, and the guitar parts don't do a damned thing for me.

The Chili Peppers have always been a hit and miss band for me. Each album has about 3 songs I really like a lot, and the rest is just meh.

Megadeath is another one that I just don't get the long running appeal of.

So what bands do you like

I have a CD collection that has more than 600 discs. A few, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, TOOL, APC, Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones, Zeppelin, BOC, Metallica, Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Jimmy Hendrix, Heart, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie, Thrice, I could go on.....

Made me go upstairs to see if some of my collection was missing..

Not sure even after googling who APC is...I Don't have : Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones but really been wanting some for over a year and could use some suggestions..Same with CLUTCH!!!

Also, I don't have BOC, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Jimmy Hendrix, but I have over a dozen by some dude called JIMI Hendrix, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie..Maybe, but I started with Rob...Also I don't have Elvis Pressley, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Beibs...

I have most albums from Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Dixon, Slipnot, Steve Miller Band, Police, Kansas, Yes, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Boston, Chicago, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Steely Dan, Bob Marley, Van wHalen, Brothers Johnson, Beach Boys, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Allman Bros, Marvin Gaye, Oasis, Billy Joel, Elton John, Todd Rundgren, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Patsy Cline, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I want more TOOL!!!, Who, Guess Who, I'm probably forgetting several of my favs...Ray Charles, Benny Goodman, Toto, Supertramp, Mad Season, Howlin Wolf, Proffessor Longhair,Talking Heads, Buckwheat Zydeco, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, B52s, Blues Brothers, Eric Clapton, Megadeth, INXS, Hall & Oates, Sly and the Family Stone...

I've also got some embarrassing stuff that I probably wouldn't listen to unless I'm alone or trying to expand my Son's influences. Styx, Journey, Dr Buzzards Original Savanah Band, the Outfield, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, a Bob Seeger album I still haven't opened, Leo Sayer, Al Stewart, Michael Johnson, Tom Petty, Scorpions, Queen, Foreigner; Green Day, David Bowie, Tone Loc..(The only good Rap album I ever heard), Willie Nelson, Devo, Flock of Seagulls, Marshall Crenshaw, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Carpenters, Marshall Tucker Band, Tom Waits, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, Simon & Garfunkel, Grateful dead, Jimmy Buffet, Mel Torme, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Laurie Anderson..

APC is A Perfect Circle. If you are going to grab Deftones discs, White Pony is the first one to get, the newest two (Diamond eyes, Koi No Yokan) probably next, the Around the Fur.

For Tool, try tracking down a copy of the Salival CD/DVD box they put out several years back. If you don't have it already, It has a cover of No Quarter on it.

Thanks!! I love learning new stuff here...and appreciate all the posts in this thread..Even the pictures of the Tranny and a young Steve McGarret (Bruno Mars?).

"26 and 2" is probably one of my favourite songs to come out of that decade.. Seems like every time I remember to look for Tool at Zia Records, I just find fancy CD singles..(I probably bought three or four 45s in my whole life vs, ~400 LPs and ~700 CDs).

I almost picked up White Pony and KOI last week but wanted to see if I could score them cheaper on ebay.

Deep Purple needs to go in to the HOF before Kiss...

I won't agree or disagree with this (because they both deserve to be in) but wanted to point out that, based on people/groups who are in the HOF and those who aren't, the Rock N Roll HOF is pretty much a joke. They've got groups in there I wouldn't even begin to classify as rock and there is a huge list that would appear to be no brainer choices who aren't. I don't think they know what the hell they're doing at the HOF.

The RR HoF is a complete joke. Almost as big a joke as the Grammy's and the other music awards.

If you're giving an award to a pop band, who more than likely can't play their own instruments, let alone even write their own songs, then that award is hollow and meaningless...

Yeah, I understand the don't fit/not cool angle of it. But there are other genres that claim the same appleal. Goth/Punk/Grunge. They were all a backlash against what is "Normal". Pearl Jam/Nervana/Soudgarden/AiC etc. were the anti hair band music of the early 90's. Rock n Roll is the music of the teen that doesn't fit it/ or isn't cool. It's just that not fitting in or not "normal" is redefined about every 10 years. Look at heavy metal itself. Their are so many genres. Each claiming kids that don't fit/ or arn't cool.

there are varying degrees of "not fitting in"...

Everyone I went to high school with listened to glam metal or country. Because I wore a Slayer or a Death Angel, or a Misfits shirt, that kinda freaked out those I went to High School with.

I never said "simple = bad", its more "endlessly repetitive = bad" Which even Angus will admit to. Making a comment that they pretty much just change the album cover. Like I have said before, its not that the songs are 3 chords (most songs are) its they never change up which 3 they are using.

The Ramones were hugely influential, largely due to the simplicity. They inspired tons of people, with a "Hey, I can do that" thought, and they went out and picked up gear and started bands.

AC/DC is simple, the Ramones are simple, if you really get down to it, they're both repetitive, but what you're saying doesn't really make a point...

AC/DC - all of their songs are exactly the same. Ride the high hat, play some power cords, and drown it all out with screechy lyrics. All songs on all albums. Same.

And this is where you lost me. In their simplicity is their greatness. Because they don't need to play 20 notes a second, and their music still has that weight to it, is another thing that makes them great...

You don't need to play 20 notes a second. You just need to have a little musical creativity, talent, or songwriting ability - of which they have very little. It's all so monotonous and unimaginative - they are a one trick pony with a trick that gets old very fast. AC/DC is basically suited for blasting at sporting events and that's about it. It's virtually unlistenable in any other situation.

Bands that definitely do not deserve to be mentioned in this thread but have been:

Nirvana (I know they are huge, but they deserve to be huge. Underrated songwriting and musical talent; tons of creativity. Very important band for social & cultural reasons)

The only thing good in this band was Grohl. There are so many other "Seattle" bands that are better that aren't named Soundgarden or AIC.

Then surely you must know that in Nirvana Grohl simply existed - he provided the background beat and almost nothing else, and he has said this many times. Dave Grohl knew how talented Cobain and Novoselic were and simply sought to get out of their way. I think a lot of music junkies hate Nirvana because their music was so creatively simple and because non-music-junkie-people often times get obsessed with Nirvana. And anything that the masses love can't possibly have intrinsic musical value, right??????

It cracks me up for those to trivialize the simplicity of AC/DC, because I've never played an instrument.

I don't think anyone is trivializing the simplicity of AC/DC, only the fact that all of their music is exactly the same. Zero musical evolution whatsoever. Boring as hell to listen to beyond the Back in Black riff when the Blackshirts take the field.

It cracks me up for those to trivialize the simplicity of AC/DC, because I've never played an instrument.

I don't think anyone is trivializing the simplicity of AC/DC, only the fact that all of their music is exactly the same. Zero musical evolution whatsoever. Boring as hell to listen to beyond the Back in Black riff when the Blackshirts take the field.

All of your points are completely valid. If you don't like AC/DC you are entitled to that opinion. Maybe they are music for the masses. Anything liked by the masses can't have intrinsic value, right. Oh and Dave Grohl is a great drummer. If you can't get that from listening to Nirvana than you aren't listening.

Guess I'm not following what you're arguing.

Dave Grohl was a fantastic drummer in Nirvana - he just didn't try to take center stage. I'd argue that he didn't fully unleash until after Nirvana.

Music liked by the masses can be great music or can be horrible music. My dislike of AC/DC has nothing to do with whether nor not they are liked by many people.

People are different, have different likes and dislikes and music is no exception to this. Some music evokes an emotional response that can be based on many things that do not involve the skill or creativity of the musician. Likewise a person can pick up on flawless performances or combinations, rhythms, or beats that seem new or innovative. It would be pretty difficult to tell another person, with any authority or effect, that their taste in music is either good or bad. It's all in the ears of the listener.

I can appreciate that some think AC/DC all sounds the same. I would agree to an extent, although they do have some bluesier songs that don't sound the same as the majority of their more known hard rocking tunes. Ride On, Night Prowler, and The Jack come to mind. The more strongly blues influenced stuff happens to be my favorite but I pretty much like it all. One of my favorite things to do is listen to the intro to their songs back to back. About ten to twenty seconds and skip to the next. There are similarities but they have a virtual monopoly on great guitar riffs. I don't care if they're only three chords, that sh#t rocks and nobody does it as often or consistently.

I never said "simple = bad", its more "endlessly repetitive = bad" Which even Angus will admit to. Making a comment that they pretty much just change the album cover. Like I have said before, its not that the songs are 3 chords (most songs are) its they never change up which 3 they are using.

The Ramones were hugely influential, largely due to the simplicity. They inspired tons of people, with a "Hey, I can do that" thought, and they went out and picked up gear and started bands.

AC/DC is simple, the Ramones are simple, if you really get down to it, they're both repetitive, but what you're saying doesn't really make a point...

Timing is part of the point. When the Ramones came up, there was nothing like it. The popular music was more complex and maybe a bit overwhelming to newbies, and the Ramones were not. AC/DC had a few big songs, but they were not 'ground breaking' It looked, and sounded, like something anyone could do. And for the record, I don't really care for either. For exactly the same reasons.

Thanks!! I love learning new stuff here...and appreciate all the posts in this thread..

Dude, you can't go wrong with any of the following

Kvelertak (My favorite band right now....it's ok if you don't understand them, it's all sung in Norweigan... the lyrical content is primarily about Odin, beer, and Valhalla)

Kyuss (one of the forefathers of Stoner Metal, and Josh Homme, is now in Queens Of The Stone Age)

The Sword (great Stoner/Doom metal)

Byzantine (groove metal from West Virginia)

Gypsyhawk (70's metal, Thin Lizzy influence)

Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree (an interesting listen)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (a tough listen at times, but overall very good band, recommend "43% Burnt")

• Fire 1

Timing is part of the point. When the Ramones came up, there was nothing like it. The popular music was more complex and maybe a bit overwhelming to newbies, and the Ramones were not. AC/DC had a few big songs, but they were not 'ground breaking' It looked, and sounded, like something anyone could do. And for the record, I don't really care for either. For exactly the same reasons.

Thats the thing, AC/DC never set out to be ground breaking. Almost every AC/DC song is based around the "A" note. If you can play an "A", then you've got the ground work for most AC/DC songs. And there's other things besides the guitar that makes AC/DC great, and that is the drums. Those early AC/DC albums the drummer rarely hits the crash, and thats lesson to drummers on how not to "overplay" the instrument.

As for there being nothing like the Ramones, what about MC5 or Iggy and the Stooges? They were punk before anybody knew what punk was....

I play all styles of music including classical guitar and enjoy each style. The one kind of "music" I can't appreciate for anything is rap.

What kills me is when they interview a rapper on some

show and ask a musical question. The rapper responds with something like this: "well, as a musician..." OK, stop right there.

First of all you're not a musician.you basically rhyme words (By the way, Dr. Suess was the greatest rapper ever).You grab your junk onstage and talk with your hands and dance in unison with your dancers. YOU ARE AN ENTERTAINER....PERIOD!

Musicians, like the Eagles for example write their own music, lyrics,play instruments and sing at the same time.These are true musicians.

Same as the word "Chef" . Just because you flip pancakes at Denny's does not make you a Chef. You are a line cook. There is a huge difference!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread....had to vent......feel much better. :-)

Guess I'm not following what you're arguing.

Dave Grohl was a fantastic drummer in Nirvana - he just didn't try to take center stage. I'd argue that he didn't fully unleash until after Nirvana.

Music liked by the masses can be great music or can be horrible music. My dislike of AC/DC has nothing to do with whether nor not they are liked by many people.

I'm just using your words about Nirvana and putting it with AC/DC. AC/DC is liked by the masses and they have intrinsic value. That value is they make a lot of people happy.

I play all styles of music including classical guitar and enjoy each style. The one kind of "music" I can't appreciate for anything is rap.

What kills me is when they interview a rapper on some

show and ask a musical question. The rapper responds with something like this: "well, as a musician..." OK, stop right there.

First of all you're not a musician.you basically rhyme words (By the way, Dr. Suess was the greatest rapper ever).You grab your junk onstage and talk with your hands and dance in unison with your dancers. YOU ARE AN ENTERTAINER....PERIOD!

Musicians, like the Eagles for example write their own music, lyrics,play instruments and sing at the same time.These are true musicians.

Same as the word "Chef" . Just because you flip pancakes at Denny's does not make you a Chef. You are a line cook. There is a huge difference!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread....had to vent......feel much better. :-)

I am in complete agreement about rap mus/sorry hip hop. By the way when did it become hip hop instead of rap? I don't consider it music. It is performance art. When I taught school, I would often get into discussions with my nice white suburban/rural students. They didn't understand why I didn't like rap music. I would always explain that rap music is produce by poor, angry black people, from the inner city. I would say that I am non of those things so why should it speak to me. I told them I didn't understand it and that they didn't understand it either. They just liked it becuase it had a lot of swearing in it and their parents hated it. Most the time they would just smile and say nothing.

This brings up something sort of related. Why is it when you go to a concert of a big band they often have some completely off the wall opening act. Like they think they need to broaden my horizons. Case in point. Saw U2 in about 2004 or so and they had Kanya West opening for them. Myself and the other 16000 people in the Quest Center had no interest what so ever in seeing Kanya West. Another example the Rolling Stones had Brooks and Dunn, the country guys opening for them when they came through Omaha in whatever year.

On the other hand, AC/DC when I saw them had some heavy Irish band open for them. Can't remember their name, it started with an A, they were pretty good though almost Led Zep like. I guess AC/DC knows their audiance. :o