Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

Dave Matthews Band

Bingo...excellent call. Sure there are easy targets like Lady Gaga and P. Diddy. Green Day was interesting choice...had some good songs but most of their stuff lacks. I am putting Queen in that category too. Have some classics but most of their other stuff is drivel.

Stop hating on Rush, U2, and Pink Floyd...some of the best bands evah!

Dave Matthews Band

Bingo...excellent call. Sure there are easy targets like Lady Gaga and P. Diddy. Green Day was interesting choice...had some good songs but most of their stuff lacks. I am putting Queen in that category too. Have some classics but most of their other stuff is drivel.

It really is a matter of personal tastes. I personally love Queen, have about 20 of their songs on my iPad. With that being said one of my least fav Queen songs is Bohemien Rhapsedy. Every band I like has songs I don't like though. I don't like Lady Gaga's music but if you can't see she is super talented than you don't know music.

• Fire 2

Dave Matthews Band

Its all a matter of preference. U2 from like the Joshua Tree era, good. The last few albums, not so much.

Shinedown, Disturbed, Three Days Grace...pretty much most "modern rock" bands whose songs all sound the same. Most modern rock is terrible.

-oh, and Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco/My Chemical Romance and other emo-type bands that are popular with 14-yr-old girls. Ew.

Nickleback - that goes without saying.

Radiohead - Radiohead fans are the worst. "The lyricism is incredible" "You're a mouthbreather if you don't understand their music" etc. No, they just suck.

AC/DC - all of their songs are exactly the same. Ride the high hat, play some power cords, and drown it all out with screechy lyrics. All songs on all albums. Same.

Mumford & Sons - even critics hate their songs for all being the same. GET LOUD AND PLAY BANJO and then get quiet so that it sounds like you're building tension and then GET LOUD AND PLAY BANJO AGAIN TO RELEASE THAT TENSION. The lyrics are just plain dumb. Catch the common thread here? If all your sh#t sounds the same, you're probably terrible!

U2 - I like a couple of their songs and I don't think they're bad by any means but I don't understand how they are the highest-grossing tour band of all time. Most of their songs are pretty boring, I can't imagine being excited to go to a show of theirs. Might just be a European thing, idk.

Bands that definitely do not deserve to be mentioned in this thread but have been:

Nirvana (I know they are huge, but they deserve to be huge. Underrated songwriting and musical talent; tons of creativity. Very important band for social & cultural reasons)

Rush - Rush is awesome. They also have the most technically sound and creative drummer to ever pick up the sticks. Neil Peart is incredible!

Green Day - Their album that came out ~3 years ago was terrible, but their earlier stuff was fun and catchy and American Idiot is the best concept album of all time IMO

Offspring - incredibly deep discography; their music has evolved a lot and they're very talented. I don't think they're really *that* popular either.

Chili Peppers - should go without saying

The Doors - come on, you trolling?

just my 2 cents!

• Fire 3

It really is a matter of personal tastes. I personally love Queen, have about 20 of their songs on my iPad. With that being said one of my least fav Queen songs is Bohemien Rhapsedy. Every band I like has songs I don't like though. I don't like Lady Gaga's music but if you can't see she is super talented than you don't know music.

super talented at what?

I'll admit I've only heard parts of one song, but some things are so bad you don't want to take a chance at more awfulness you can't unhear...The really scarry thing is she wears makeup too much like a girl I dated for 6 years...And I don't even like trannys.

I wouldn't consider Bon Scott or Brian Johnson's singing gutteral. Screeching maybe, but not gutteral. Gutteral is much lower and IMO you can't even come close to understanding what they are singing. Think Slayer/ Slipknot/ Pantera and they arn't even the worst.

I like Rush and always have, but as I have gotten older I really enjoy them even more. Limelight is good, but never been one of my favorites. I like some of there synth stuff as you put it. Subdivisions is one of my favorite Rush songs. I like their instrumental stuff. 2112 etc. The documentary that was done about them was very good. They guy that did it also did a doc about heavy metal and its origins and genres. The guy is a big head banger with a PhD in anthropology, can't remember his name.

I used to like Rush mainly because I used to be a drummer and Neil Pert was pretty much a requirement..

But the older I get, the less time I seem to be able to take Geddy Lees vocals...I can't imagine anyone else doing them, but it's still a little difficult/painful. My Son even has less tolerance and I've been trying to get him interested in Rush too..as he learns the drums.

AC/DC? My friends always liked them more than I ever did..Especially now that I usually picture Donald Duck screeching the lyrics..even AFTER working a temp job wiring for a local sattelite company with a really nice guy that was lead singer for a local AC/DC cover Band..and showed me an autographed photo of him having lunch with them stating that their band was Brian's fav. cover band of theirs.

Just to expand on what a lot of people are saying about Nirvana, I have to say that I don't understand why "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is considered such a great song. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, but it's just a normal punk rock (or whatever genre Nirvana is) song. It's not the seminal rock song of our age and it's definitely not one of the greatest songs ever, like a lot of people list it.

Teen Spriit is good, but I like Lithium, Heart Shaped Box and Come as You Are better. The reason why Nirvana is and Teen Spirit is considered so great is because it really broke the Hair Band hold on harder rock. Though I think that era was about ready to implode anyway. Grunge misic is almost gothic in ways it that it is somewhat about life sucking. Hair Metal is about partying and getting laid. I think it is considered a deeper meaning music.

I remember when Smells like teen spirit first came out..(I even loved Tori Amos' version that Nirvana used to play before their concerts just to piss off the faithful)..and it being the second time I could remember thinking, "I wish I could go back in time to my youth and written that song then"...Not sure why really...(The first might have been "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal??

But I grew to really like them and the genera..From there I started collecting everything I could find by them and AIC, Soundgarden, Mad Season, and other grunge colaborations.

I can't stand AC/DC because it all sounds the same. The more I actually learn to play guitar, the more contempt I have for the band. All of their songs are 3 chords, which in and of itself is not an issue, as most songs are 3 chords. The problem is their entire body of work is the same 3 chords.

To me Rush has two very good musicians in Peart and Lee, but I can't stand Lee's voice, and the guitar parts don't do a damned thing for me.

The Chili Peppers have always been a hit and miss band for me. Each album has about 3 songs I really like a lot, and the rest is just meh.

Megadeath is another one that I just don't get the long running appeal of.

So what bands do you like

I have a CD collection that has more than 600 discs. A few, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, TOOL, APC, Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones, Zeppelin, BOC, Metallica, Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Jimmy Hendrix, Heart, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie, Thrice, I could go on.....

Made me go upstairs to see if some of my collection was missing..

Not sure even after googling who APC is...I Don't have : Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones but really been wanting some for over a year and could use some suggestions..Same with CLUTCH!!!

Also, I don't have BOC, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Jimmy Hendrix, but I have over a dozen by some dude called JIMI Hendrix, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie..Maybe, but I started with Rob...Also I don't have Elvis Pressley, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Beibs...

I have most albums from Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Dixon, Slipnot, Steve Miller Band, Police, Kansas, Yes, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Boston, Chicago, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Steely Dan, Bob Marley, Van wHalen, Brothers Johnson, Beach Boys, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Allman Bros, Marvin Gaye, Oasis, Billy Joel, Elton John, Todd Rundgren, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Patsy Cline, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I want more TOOL!!!, Who, Guess Who, I'm probably forgetting several of my favs...Ray Charles, Benny Goodman, Toto, Supertramp, Mad Season, Howlin Wolf, Proffessor Longhair,Talking Heads, Buckwheat Zydeco, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, B52s, Blues Brothers, Eric Clapton, Megadeth, INXS, Hall & Oates, Sly and the Family Stone...

I've also got some embarrassing stuff that I probably wouldn't listen to unless I'm alone or trying to expand my Son's influences. Styx, Journey, Dr Buzzards Original Savanah Band, the Outfield, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, a Bob Seeger album I still haven't opened, Leo Sayer, Al Stewart, Michael Johnson, Tom Petty, Scorpions, Queen, Foreigner; Green Day, David Bowie, Tone Loc..(The only good Rap album I ever heard), Willie Nelson, Devo, Flock of Seagulls, Marshall Crenshaw, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Carpenters, Marshall Tucker Band, Tom Waits, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, Simon & Garfunkel, Grateful dead, Jimmy Buffet, Mel Torme, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Laurie Anderson..

I can't stand AC/DC because it all sounds the same. The more I actually learn to play guitar, the more contempt I have for the band. All of their songs are 3 chords, which in and of itself is not an issue, as most songs are 3 chords. The problem is their entire body of work is the same 3 chords.

To me Rush has two very good musicians in Peart and Lee, but I can't stand Lee's voice, and the guitar parts don't do a damned thing for me.

The Chili Peppers have always been a hit and miss band for me. Each album has about 3 songs I really like a lot, and the rest is just meh.

Megadeath is another one that I just don't get the long running appeal of.

So what bands do you like

I have a CD collection that has more than 600 discs. A few, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, TOOL, APC, Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones, Zeppelin, BOC, Metallica, Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Jimmy Hendrix, Heart, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie, Thrice, I could go on.....

Made me go upstairs to see if some of my collection was missing..

Not sure even after googling who APC is...Don't have : Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones but really been wanting some for over a year and could use some suggestions..Same with CLUTCH!!!

Also, I don't have BOC, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Jimmy Hendrix, but I have over a dozen by some dude called JIMI Hendrix, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie..Maybe, but I started with Rob...Also I don't have Elvis Pressley, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Black Sabbath, Beibs...

I have most albums from Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Dixon, Slipnot, Steve Miller Band, Kansas, Yes, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Boston, Chicago, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Bob Marley, Van wHalen, Brothers Johnson, Beach Boys, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Allman Bros, Marvin Gaye, Oasis, Billy Joel, Elton John, Todd Rundgren, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Patsy Cline, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I want more TOOL!!!, Who, Guess Who, I'm probably forgetting several of

my favs...Ray Charles, Benny Goodman, Toto, Supertramp, Mad Season, Howlin Wolf, Proffessor Longhair,Talking Heads, Buckwheat Zydeco, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, B52s, Blues Brothers, Eric Clapton, Megadeth, Laurie Anderson..

I've also got some embarrassing stuff that I probably wouldn't listen to unless I'm alone or trying to expand my Son's influences. Journey, Dr Buzzards Original Savanah Band, the Outfield, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, a Bob Seeger album I still haven't opened,

Leo Sayer, Al Stewart, Michael Johnson, Tom Petty, Scorpions, Queen, Foreigner; Green Day, David Bowie, Tone Loc..(The only good Rap album I ever heard), Willie Nelson, Devo, Flock of Seagulls, Marshall Crenshaw, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Carpenters, Marshall Tucker Band, Tom Waits, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, Simon & Garfunkel, Grateful dead, Jimmy Buffet, Mel Torme, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como,

Nothing wrong with any of this music. What is it with you tried and true heavy metal guys?

Shinedown, Disturbed, Three Days Grace...pretty much most "modern rock" bands whose songs all sound the same. Most modern rock is terrible.

-oh, and Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco/My Chemical Romance and other emo-type bands that are popular with 14-yr-old girls. Ew.

Nickleback - that goes without saying.

Radiohead - Radiohead fans are the worst. "The lyricism is incredible" "You're a mouthbreather if you don't understand their music" etc. No, they just suck.

AC/DC - all of their songs are exactly the same. Ride the high hat, play some power cords, and drown it all out with screechy lyrics. All songs on all albums. Same.

Mumford & Sons - even critics hate their songs for all being the same. GET LOUD AND PLAY BANJO and then get quiet so that it sounds like you're building tension and then GET LOUD AND PLAY BANJO AGAIN TO RELEASE THAT TENSION. The lyrics are just plain dumb. Catch the common thread here? If all your sh#t sounds the same, you're probably terrible!

U2 - I like a couple of their songs and I don't think they're bad by any means but I don't understand how they are the highest-grossing tour band of all time. Most of their songs are pretty boring, I can't imagine being excited to go to a show of theirs. Might just be a European thing, idk.

Bands that definitely do not deserve to be mentioned in this thread but have been:

Nirvana (I know they are huge, but they deserve to be huge. Underrated songwriting and musical talent; tons of creativity. Very important band for social & cultural reasons)

Rush - Rush is awesome. They also have the most technically sound and creative drummer to ever pick up the sticks. Neil Peart is incredible!

Green Day - Their album that came out ~3 years ago was terrible, but their earlier stuff was fun and catchy and American Idiot is the best concept album of all time IMO

Offspring - incredibly deep discography; their music has evolved a lot and they're very talented. I don't think they're really *that* popular either.

Chili Peppers - should go without saying

The Doors - come on, you trolling?

just my 2 cents!

I'm sorry, but Neil Peart is not the most technically sound nor the most creative drummer of all time. I'd put him up there with the best, but guys like Buddy Rich and Steve Gadd are better.