Good news for us re: Obamacare/ACA

Who couldn't POSSIBLY have predicted this?

If Tavenner is right, Obamacare will jump dramatically—last year’s premium for the popular silver-level plan surged 11 percent on average. Although Tavenner didn’t mention deductibles, in 2016, some states saw jumps of 76 percent, while the average deductible for a 27-year-old male on a silver plan was 8 percent.

The warning to consumers from Tavenner, the former administration official who headed the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and oversaw the disastrous launch of HealthCare.gov, the Obamacare website, comes at a time of growing uncertainty about the evolving makeup of the Obamacare health insurance market. With many insurers struggling to find profitability in the program, the collapse of nearly half of the 23 Obamacare insurance co-ops and this week’s announcement that giant UnitedHealth Group intends to pull out of most Obamacare markets across the country, anticipating future premiums and copayments is largely risky guesswork.

Who couldn't POSSIBLY have predicted this?

If Tavenner is right, Obamacare will jump dramatically—last year’s premium for the popular silver-level plan surged 11 percent on average. Although Tavenner didn’t mention deductibles, in 2016, some states saw jumps of 76 percent, while the average deductible for a 27-year-old male on a silver plan was 8 percent.

The warning to consumers from Tavenner, the former administration official who headed the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and oversaw the disastrous launch of HealthCare.gov, the Obamacare website, comes at a time of growing uncertainty about the evolving makeup of the Obamacare health insurance market. With many insurers struggling to find profitability in the program, the collapse of nearly half of the 23 Obamacare insurance co-ops and this week’s announcement that giant UnitedHealth Group intends to pull out of most Obamacare markets across the country, anticipating future premiums and copayments is largely risky guesswork.

Uh...I hate to say I told ya so, but......

Any other result should not have been expected. This is what happens when the focus is only on getting more and sicker people covered and paying little attention to the real problem of runaway care and prescription costs. I have seen absolutely nothing that makes me believe the problem won't continue to get much, much worse under Obamacare. But yay! more people are now eligible to not be able to afford healthcare. The only people who have won in this deal (at least short term) are those who qualify for the big subsidy and only have to pay pennies on the dollar towards their health coverage costs. Problem is the numbers of those that qualify at that level will now start a rapid decline as well.

• Fire 1
  • 3 months later...

Well, I got an email today about renewing my KP Obamacare plan for 2017. This ACA deal is really great, they fixed all the important stuff. My premium....going from $1461/mo to $1874/mo beginning in January. Yeah, that's a paltry 28% increase. Where's carlfense when ya need somebody to tell ya how great of deal this was?

• 6 years later...
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s almost as if we were told Obamacare was the solution and our premiums would go down not up.  

Almost, except that wasn't what the ACA was intended to do. It was to reduce the rate at which they were already going up, which we'd need an alternate history to prove one way or the other. Note that the ACA was the plan the GOP and conservatives had wanted until Obama proposed it, then they were suddenly against it.

Whether ACA was enacted or not ignores the reality that we need to completely overhaul the health insurance industry.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3

43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Almost, except that wasn't what the ACA was intended to do. It was to reduce the rate at which they were already going up, which we'd need an alternate history to prove one way or the other. Note that the ACA was the plan the GOP and conservatives had wanted until Obama proposed it, then they were suddenly against it.

Whether ACA was enacted or not ignores the reality that we need to completely overhaul the health insurance industry.

• Plus1 2