SIGNED OG Tanner Farmer

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if they can redshirt him but I have a feeling that he is going to work himself into the two deep and he will be out there getting some tick before his true freshman season is over. I hope we have the depth and the talent we can redshirt him but I think that he will be good enough that he will force the coaches hand.

It would be nice if they can redshirt him but I have a feeling that he is going to work himself into the two deep and he will be out there getting some tick before his true freshman season is over. I hope we have the depth and the talent we can redshirt him but I think that he will be good enough that he will force the coaches hand.

I hope he's as good as we think and he's not just getting PT but competeing for a starting job. A redshirt year is always good but if he's got the talent then we've got to play him.

I hope he's as good as we think and he's not just getting PT but competeing for a starting job. A redshirt year is always good but if he's got the talent then we've got to play him.

I hope we are good enough on the O line that a true freshman isn't competing for a starting job.

I hope we are good enough on the O line that a true freshman isn't competing for a starting job.

What would be wrong with him competing for a starting job? At this point I don't think it would be a bad thing if he were getting reps. I'd be happy that we got a recruit that talented. I want the best players on the field. I don't care if they are true freshman or a 6th year senior.

Agreed, Buster. I would be shocked if he didn't redshirt. Cotton is a stud at LG, so unless there's an injury problem, tanner would have to beat out Moudy, Price and Kondolo for RG. Not going to happen, no matter how good he is. It takes time to figure out the position and those other guys aren't chopped liver.

Agreed, Buster. I would be shocked if he didn't redshirt. Cotton is a stud at LG, so unless there's an injury problem, tanner would have to beat out Moudy, Price and Kondolo for RG. Not going to happen, no matter how good he is. It takes time to figure out the position and those other guys aren't chopped liver.

That's actually exactly how things like that happen. By being good.

• Fire 1

Conversely, I hope he's so good as a true freshman that we have to play him. Can't piss and moan about recruiting deficiencies if a player comes along like TF and is good enough to play, then hope he redshirts. Id rather be really good on the oline and have a true freshman good enough to break the two deep. Whatever you guys think we lose by playing him as a backup, I say he makes up for by gaining valuable experience.
  • Fire 2

That's actually exactly how things like that happen. By being good.

Because Moudy, Price and Kondolo have a lot over T Farmer? What have they accomplished. What happened to getting guys to commit to our program that are so good, we pencil them in as a possible true freshman starter. I believe people had some grand thoughts about Andrus Peat being that good.

They have time spent learning our offense and the technique of playing OL, not to mention learning how to deal with the physicality of the position at the college level day after day.

It's rare enough for a kid to be physically ready to play OL as a true freshman, and Tanner looks like he could be one of those physical freaks, but being mentally ready as well is a whole nother thing.

How many true frosh can you recall starting at OL for NU? Not very many and there's a reason for that.

Moore did recently due to injuries and lack of depth, but we don't lack depth at Guard currently. Fonoti did back in the day, but he was a freak of nature. I hope Tanner can force his way on the field as well, but it's extremely unlikely.

They have time spent learning our offense and the technique of playing OL, not to mention learning how to deal with the physicality of the position at the college level day after day.

It's rare enough for a kid to be physically ready to play OL as a true freshman, and Tanner looks like he could be one of those physical freaks, but being mentally ready as well is a whole nother thing.

How many true frosh can you recall starting at OL for NU? Not very many and there's a reason for that.

Moore did recently due to injuries and lack of depth, but we don't lack depth at Guard currently. Fonoti did back in the day, but he was a freak of nature. I hope Tanner can force his way on the field as well, but it's extremely unlikely.

No reason it can't happen with Farmer then, right?

I know what you're saying, I just think that Farmer is going to be one of those kids that will push the players we already have. That type of competition is good for everyone.