China benefits from Iraq oil

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/world/middleeast/china-reaps-biggest-benefits-of-iraq-oil-boom.html?_r=0

At 1st blush, I look at the article and I am outraged - after our huge investment in lives and $$, China benefits.

It seems to me that the oil revenues should have been used to pay down our expenses of freeing the country of Sadam and

finance any current defense of the region. Another way this war was miss-managed.

However, the article states some positives of this development. If you look at the long term, if China's money can help secure a more stable Iraq, then it will be a good thing. With our

growing domestic production, we are less entangled with Middle East oil. I just wish there was a way some of that revenue was targeted to take care of our war debt.

What say you?

The article debates some of the pros and cons of the development:

Quote:

We lost out,” said Michael Makovsky, a former Defense Department official in the Bush administration who worked on Iraq oil policy. “The Chinese had nothing to do with the war, but from an economic standpoint they are benefiting from it, and our Fifth Fleet and air forces are helping to assure their supply.”

Another Quote:

If the United States invasion and occupation of Iraq ended up benefiting China, American energy experts say the unforeseen turn of events is not necessarily bad for United States interests. The increased Iraqi production, much of it pumped by Chinese workers, has also shielded the world economy from a spike in oil prices resulting from Western sanctions on Iranian oil exports. And with the boom in American domestic oil production in new shale fields surpassing all expectations over the last four years, dependence on Middle Eastern oil has declined, making access to the Iraqi fields less vital for the United States.

“Our interest is the oil gets produced and Iraq makes money, so this is a big plus,” said David Goldwyn, who was the State Department coordinator for international energy affairs in the first Obama administration. “Geopolitically it develops close links between China and Iraq, although China did not get into it for the politics. Now that they are there, they have a great stake in assuring the continuity of the regime that facilitates their investment.”

So the next time there is a flareup and Iraq needs more help, China is sending the soldiers?

Agreed. I'm getting tired of the USA always doing the heavy lifting. Now there are neocons repubs wanting us to get more involved in Syria - like we haven't seen that bad movie before.

the war was not about oil. why would we be mad? this is just a recently liberated, sovereign country conducting its business on the international stage.

why would they owe us? we invaded to bring democracy and freedom to them, not to be their landlords and oil agents.

the war was not about oil. why would we be mad? this is just a recently liberated, sovereign country conducting its business on the international stage.

why would they owe us? we invaded to bring democracy and freedom to them, not to be their landlords and oil agents.

Oh sure, that's what we *say*. But really, it's about the oil.

And because the Bush klan had a score to settle.

If it was about oil, it did a piss poor job of helping the US economy.

i know. i never thought it was just about the oil, but i thought that we would at least have our hand on the faucet; which is just as important.

however, is this not also because china is desperate for oil and america is producing a lot right now? i guess i should read the story, but i do not see this as a big deal. it just sounds like a slap to the face because we want china to be our rivals so badly for some reason.

i know. i never thought it was just about the oil, but i thought that we would at least have our hand on the faucet; which is just as important.

however, is this not also because china is desperate for oil and america is producing a lot right now? i guess i should read the story, but i do not see this as a big deal. it just sounds like a slap to the face because we want china to be our rivals so badly for some reason.

For many industries, they are our rivals.