Projected Starting Line Up

I really hope Charles Jackson is the starting free safety by midseason. Everyone is projecting Harvey Jackson, & it is concerning to me because H Jackson couldn't beat out P.J. Smith for the job last year, who IMO was worse than Cassidy

You could say pretty much the same thing about almost all our linebackers and defensive linemen who are projected to start this year.

The difference is the ones you are talking about were all true freshman.

I really hope Charles Jackson is the starting free safety by midseason. Everyone is projecting Harvey Jackson, & it is concerning to me because H Jackson couldn't beat out P.J. Smith for the job last year, who IMO was worse than Cassidy

You could say pretty much the same thing about almost all our linebackers and defensive linemen who are projected to start this year.

I'm not sure how much that diminishes the concern. We're still counting on guys who couldn't beat out players that ranged from awful to average.

I'm not sure how much that diminishes the concern. We're still counting on guys who couldn't beat out players that ranged from awful to average.

My point is the guy is talking about a battle between Harvey Jackson and PJ Smith. They'd been battling for 3 years???

You are talking about true freshman that had been here two months battling guys who'd been here 4+ years. Apples to Oranges.

Tommie Frazier wasnt even good enough to beat out Mike Gant at the start of his career. But how much better was he by the time the start of '93 rolled around. Guys improve. They dont stay the same. This really is not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Tommie Frazier was starting by mid-season. Where were all the guys who were ready to take over mid-season last year? And I'm not even necessarily talking about the true freshmen. The '10 and '11 classes are also apart of the supposed improved recruiting classes. I've always thought a mark of great recruiting is bringing in guys who can be plugged into the system and play at a relatively high level sooner rather than later. Obviously we're not going to get 6 or 7 defensive players like that in each class, but 2 or 3 isn't really too much to ask, I don't think. A difference maker from each one of those recruiting classes at the first and second level of the defense, along with maybe a true freshman or 2 could have made all the difference in the world. Don't get me wrong, I agree the notion that recruiting has improved, but I'm not sure how much it's improved. I guess we'll get part of that answer during the UCLA game.

Tommie Frazier wasnt even good enough to beat out Mike Gant at the start of his career. But how much better was he by the time the start of '93 rolled around. Guys improve. They dont stay the same. This really is not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Tommie Frazier was starting by mid-season. Where were all the guys who were ready to take over mid-season last year? And I'm not even necessarily talking about the true freshmen. The '10 and '11 classes are also apart of the supposed improved recruiting classes. I've always thought a mark of great recruiting is bringing in guys who can be plugged into the system and play at a relatively high level sooner rather than later. Obviously we're not going to get 6 or 7 defensive players like that in each class, but 2 or 3 isn't really too much to ask, I don't think. A difference maker from each one of those recruiting classes at the first and second level of the defense, along with maybe a true freshman or 2 could have made all the difference in the world. Don't get me wrong, I agree the notion that recruiting has improved, but I'm not sure how much it's improved. I guess we'll get part of that answer during the UCLA game.

I think the fact that Bo stated he made mistakes on a few of those guys is at least encouraging to say the least.

I think the fact that Bo stated he made mistakes on a few of those guys is at least encouraging to say the least.

Maybe they'll get the "real" Blackshirts after wearing the temporary black shirts. :koolaid2:

The overall point is how do you know that they're not ready by now. Maybe they werent' quite there last year. Or there wasnt enough of a gain to make burnin the shirt worth it. But after another, if not first, full offseason, they're rarin to go.

The overall point is how do you know that they're not ready by now. Maybe they werent' quite there last year. Or there wasnt enough of a gain to make burnin the shirt worth it. But after another, if not first, full offseason, they're rarin to go.

Jay Guy isn't ready....That much, we know....

Hey everyone. Look at this guy. He knows what everyone else knows. :lol:

Hey everyone. Look at this guy. He knows what everyone else knows. :lol:

tumblr_me4bisAYp61qiw26m.gif

How do we know they are? They went from not as good as last year's seniors to better than last year's seniors in one offseason? We can hope.

How do we know they are? They went from not as good as last year's seniors to better than last year's seniors in one offseason? We can hope.

I shouldnt've said it that way. My mistake. The COULD be rarin to go. They SHOULD be rarin to go. Bottom line is, it's not that hard to grasp that they could be better this year than last year. They could be better this year than the starter ahead of them last year. It's really quite possible. But to say, "well, they weren't good enough to play last year, so how can they better?" is a bit incorrect. Now does it make sense? I feel like i'm struggling to put my thoughts into words again.

The point I was tryin to make with Frazier and Gant was, what if we sat back at that time and said "Well, if Frazier wasnt good enough to start in the first game, how can he be better now?". Not exactly the same situation, yet it kinda is.

They could be better this year than the starter ahead of them last year. It's really quite possible.

This is true. Also it's quite possible they're not any better - or, gulp, worse. We just don't know yet. I guess we'll find out September 14th.

Youre right. I'm agreeing that we dont know yet. But it doesnt mean it should be writtin off as impossible. Not necessarily you, but a lot of folks have. I've had this conversation with folks here at home about the exact same thing.